Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a used Aftershock ducktail lip spoiler that I plan on taking/sending to Norm to modify paint (want to have about 3 inches added to the leading edge to give it more a super duck tail appearance.

However before it's modified I was wondering if there was any interest in an Aftershock replica spoiler? Aftershock no longer offers these and if enough interest is indicated possible Norm may want to made a mold and begin offering them at a later date.

Anyway, LMK ASAP since I'm going to taking/sending this to Norm by the end of the month (Mar).

Also, even if interest is indicated I have no idea if Norm would be interested in making replica's but at least this way I can let him know there is interest.

·
Premium Member
961 Posts
I'd like one with more "duck to it" like yours...

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Sounds good to me. What kinda price would we be looking at?

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
I purchased a used Aftershock ducktail lip spoiler that I plan on taking/sending to Norm to modify paint (want to have about 3 inches added to the leading edge to give it more a super duck tail appearance.

However before it's modified I was wondering if there was any interest in an Aftershock replica spoiler? Aftershock no longer offers these and if enough interest is indicated possible Norm may want to made a mold and begin offering them at a later date.

Anyway, LMK ASAP since I'm going to taking/sending this to Norm by the end of the month (Mar).

Also, even if interest is indicated I have no idea if Norm would be interested in making replica's but at least this way I can let him know there is interest.
Do you have pictures? I'm not sure what the duck tail spoiler looks like. i thought the after shock was the same as the stock GXP but made out of carbon fiber.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,475 Posts
Do you have pictures? I'm not sure what the duck tail spoiler looks like. i thought the after shock was the same as the stock GXP but made out of carbon fiber.
The first 3 are Rudy's Aftershock spoiler, the last two are the factory optional spoiler.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
I would love a black carbon fiber one. I'm doing a black on black look for my Black Widow project and wanted the Aftershock one.

Do you know if we remove the stock GXP spoiler if the Aftershock one will work with the factory holes left behind in the rear bumper or will we have to drill new holes? Or if the new spoiler when put on the rear bumper will still show the old holes and need to be filled in?

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,475 Posts
I would love a black carbon fiber one. I'm doing a black on black look for my Black Widow project and wanted the Aftershock one.

Do you know if we remove the stock GXP spoiler if the Aftershock one will work with the factory holes left behind in the rear bumper or will we have to drill new holes? Or if the new spoiler when put on the rear bumper will still show the old holes and need to be filled in?
I don't know the answer to any of those questions. Everyone I know that has added the stock spoiler has done it with just the two-sided tape and has removed the bolts, not drilled the holes. This is all of 2 people, and neither has had any issues.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,475 Posts
Yes, but my GXP came with the factory spoiler so if I remove it, there will be holes on my bumper. That's why I was asking. I wish it came mounted with just 2 sides tape, that would save me allot of hassle.
I wish I could answer your question.

·
Registered
7,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The plan is to give Norm a template with the ducktail spoiler to work from.

Please note; while Norm did indicate he'd modify the spoiler for me he didn't indicated he's interested in making a replica mold. All I can tell him is that several people indicated an interest in a ducktail spoiler and leave it up to him to see if he wants to begin adding/offering different versions of ducktail spoilers to his product line up.

Regardless, I plan on taking taking several before and after pics.

·
Registered
7,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/06-10-General-Motors-Solstice-GXP-Rear-Trunk-Spoiler-Wing-Lip-Primer-Unpainted-/121080427206?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make:Pontiac|Model:Solstice&hash=item1c30f4b2c6&vxp=mtr

Interesting...a company called Supernation is advertising this Aftershock lip spoiler (produced by RKSports).

Contacted RKSports and was told Aftershock is still in business but RKSport plans on checking with Aftershock (Rudy) to find out if Supernation is now an authorized distributor for this Aftershock product.

Excellent price if it is since I paid more than that for used one and this is being offered painted.

·
Registered
6,939 Posts
My Solstice came with a tail spoiler....

Personally, I prefer the body colour items to the contrasting colours, but that's just me. I can see that attaching with tape would save trouble if you ever removed it, but even so, you'd still be faced with inevitable paint fade, except under the spoiler (visible to a greater or lesser degree depending on body colour).

Of course all this is just decoration, not functional - unless you plan on testing out top speed, in which case they do make a bit of a difference.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,475 Posts
My Solstice came with a tail spoiler....

Personally, I prefer the body colour items to the contrasting colours, but that's just me. I can see that attaching with tape would save trouble if you ever removed it, but even so, you'd still be faced with inevitable paint fade, except under the spoiler (visible to a greater or lesser degree depending on body colour).
A few years ago, I pulled a vinyl decoration/stripe/whatever off of my son's Ford pickup truck. This truck had spent it's entire life outside in the elements, wasn't washed very much, and didn't get much exterior care at all. The vinyl had been in place since new, and was 7 years old, give or take.

After peeling the vinyl away, I gave it a slap dash coat of wax, and thereafter could not tell where the vinyl had been. There has been a lot of advancement in coating technology over the past 20 years, and paints don't fade at all like they used to. I certainly wouldn't worry about paint fade any more, at least if the paint is the factory paint job. :thumbs:

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
06 10 General Motors Solstice GXP Rear Trunk Spoiler Wing Lip Primer Unpainted | eBay

Interesting...a company called Supernation is advertising this Aftershock lip spoiler (produced by RKSports).

Contacted RKSports and was told Aftershock is still in business but RKSport plans on checking with Aftershock (Rudy) to find out if Supernation is now an authorized distributor for this Aftershock product.

Excellent price if it is since I paid more than that for used one and this is being offered painted.
I bet some idiot just grabbed that image off of the internet and used it thinking it was the factory OEM spoiler. It says "General Motors" in the description which leads me to believe they do not have the correct image at all. I see this done all the time. My old car, Red Devil can be found on several sites showing pictures of my spoiler, wheels, and RK Sport rear diffuser/fascia in carbon fiber. Yet I did not give anyone permission to use my photos. Thieves.

·
Registered
6,939 Posts
Dave, 7 years is nothing.

Modern paints still fade and some (reds more than other colours) also oxidize over time. It's not a question of if this will be a problem if you remove something, it is just a question of whether the thing removed has been on the paint long enough to have that fading and oxidizing show a discernable effect - a difference with the area uncovered.

Good clear coated modern paints do last much longer and fade more slowly than old enamels did. I have a red MG I painted 20 years ago that has a top layer that is totally oxidized - not even sure a good cut polish will clean it up back to original colour.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,475 Posts
Dave, 7 years is nothing.

Modern paints still fade and some (reds more than other colours) also oxidize over time. It's not a question of if this will be a problem if you remove something, it is just a question of whether the thing removed has been on the paint long enough to have that fading and oxidizing show a discernable effect - a difference with the area uncovered.

Good clear coated modern paints do last much longer and fade more slowly than old enamels did. I have a red MG I painted 20 years ago that has a top layer that is totally oxidized - not even sure a good cut polish will clean it up back to original colour.
Putting it into your perspective, and given the age on your cars, I wouldn't disagree with you. I had a 60's red car that started fading while it was being driven home from the dealership . . . new. But then it also had visible rust within 3 months of taking delivery. Car materials and coatings have come a long, long way during our lifetimes.

·
Registered
6,939 Posts
Putting it into your perspective, and given the age on your cars, I wouldn't disagree with you. I had a 60's red car that started fading while it was being driven home from the dealership . . . new. But then it also had visible rust within 3 months of taking delivery. Car materials and coatings have come a long, long way during our lifetimes.
And how!

One of the first cars I bought was a 68 Corolla. The OEM shocks lasted almost exactly 10,000 miles before becoming as effective as a bungee cord.

A friend owned a Fiat 124 (I believe you guys got them in sedan form but maybe not the converts?). Great car for the time, nice DOHC engine, 4 wheel discs....and zero rust prevention. They'd rust if you breathed on them and the metal gauge was so thin that they rust right through the metal. Which is why they are now almost non-existent.

OEM exhaust systems had similar fleeting lifespans. The one thing that was BETTER back in the day IMHO was chrome. I've seen a lot of original untouched vintage chrome that was in far better shape than on newer cars only a decade old.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts