Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a family thing going on in Imlay City, Michigan on Sunday, August 4th. I've never been to Niagara Falls and Google tells me it is just a hop, skip, and a jump over on the other side of Hamilton. I also note that Monday is a holiday in Ontario. Could there possibly any Kappa related events planned in the area for Monday?

Apart from that, the route seems obvious but does anyone have any suggestions for stops, interesting roads, or side trips along the way? I don't have a timetable yet, but I suppose I should be getting reservations soon. Should I stay in Hamilton or at the falls? Is a day or so about enough to see the falls? Everyone says we should see the falls from the Canadian side. Is there any reason to visit the U.S. side, too?

Yes, we do have U.S. Passports. My Canada non-resident insurance card expires on June 30th, so I'll get that renewed. Are there other questions I should be asking?

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
Sadly, you are a week early. Our annual Niagara Run and get together is Sat Aug 10th. Normally get around 30 cars for this and would love to have you join us. Niagara Falls is definetly worth a visit. From the the border crossing at Sarnia ( you don't want to deal with the congestion at Detroit ) you are looking at 4 to 4.5 hours to get to the Falls. You are in the high point of tourist season so try to stay away from Friday / Saturday nights in Niagara as most decent hotels will be at least $300.00 per night. On the Monday you should get for half that.

Hamilton ( also know as The Hammer ) is not a very touristy place. If you are just passing through spend the money and get yourself a nice hotel with a Fallsview room in Niagara. Our preferred hotel in Niagara for Solstice Sky Owners of Ontario is The Sharaton on the Falls. If you go with something else feel free to PM and I will tell you what I know. Here to help.
Cheers,
NS

·
Registered
991 Posts
Interesting, I was born in Hamilton and grew up in Burlington (next door) and have never heard of "The Hammer" but I see google backs you up. We always used the nickname Steeltown because of Dofasco and Stelco, maybe it's just a local ism. The local newspaper The Hamilton Spectator uses Steeltown regularly.

Hamilton is not totally devoid of tourist spots. There is Dundurn Castle, Royal Botanical Gardens and the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum (VERY cool if you are into aviation).

Toronto (pronounced Toronna) has the CN Tower, the tallest free standing structure in the world for decades (I think there was an antenna in Russia using guy wires that was taller which is why they used the term "free standing"), among it's attractions.

There are many Wineries between Hamilton and Niagara Falls, and Fort George in Niagara-on-the-Lake.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts