Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've had some posts regarding early build schedules. It went something like this....

Jan - non-salable build
Feb - salable build (small)
May - start of reg prod (someone also posted could be earlier)

I'm curious on where these cars end up?

Pure guesses....

Jan non-salable build is to test the line, run through different options, etc. Maybe take marketing pictures, etc? No guess as to what happens to these cars.

The Feb salable build, some cars used for magazine testing, VIPS & execs? dealer demos?

Anyone know?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I work at a Auto plant and live in the same town where the plant is and I seen running versions of the cars on the roads around town about 2 months before they started to sell them. Also the ones the make to test the line just get scrap and recyceled since they are only test runs. Thats about all the info I have on that, that I can remember.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I'd imagine they run some of them to have engineers drive them around to look for more bugs in the cars, or the manufacturing process, then I would think they would do it again to make sure they clear up those issues. Later in the pre-production build process they begin making them for mag testing, things of that nature.

I do believe all the pre-production cars do get scrapped, since they are not up to the standards of a production car.

·
Registered
17 Posts
F88, Your dead on with that reply, alot of times in the loacl area I would see a Cobalt at the loacl Subway and it was a bucnh of engineers sitting having lunch discussing things about the car and what they thin they need to do an stuff like that. Irionic thing is alot of the engineers aren't too swift here there are some really good ones but somethimes I wonder how they got through college the people who know alot are the guys that are on the floor and actually fix the robots and stuff they'll talk you ear off on how they can fix this or that. Those are the guys GM needs to listen to they know the most out of anyone.

·
Registered
182 Posts
mceb i believe you are correct in your time frame guess, and that leads me to hope that when the chicago auto show come in febuary there will be some solstices that i can get my hands on.

·
Registered
533 Posts
mceb said:
We've had some posts regarding early build schedules. It went something like this....

Jan - non-salable build
Feb - salable build (small)
May - start of reg prod (someone also posted could be earlier)

I'm curious on where these cars end up?

Pure guesses....

Jan non-salable build is to test the line, run through different options, etc. Maybe take marketing pictures, etc? No guess as to what happens to these cars.

The Feb salable build, some cars used for magazine testing, VIPS & execs? dealer demos?

Anyone know?
My guess is that the some cars from the February build will go to dealers. Someone previously posted that one dealer they contacted is filling the very early first orders without the customer being able to specify exact options and colors (i.e. customer has option of taking whatever comes in). Perhaps that set of cars is coming from the February build. Could that explain it? In any case, I'd rather take a car from a build on or after May. The last car I ordered early (a Nissan) was from month two of production and the paint job was horrible.

·
Registered
154 Posts
tcl said:
My guess is that the some cars from the February build will go to dealers.
I doubt any would make it to dealers. As I understand it, GM employees get the first shot at ordering them and at this price many can afford it. Unless the run is pretty large they will probably get gobbled up before they make to showrooms.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Gm employee's don't get first dibs on any car GM makes, they do get a discount but no first dibs on anything. I know this cause my Dad has worked for GM for like 37years and he has never gotten the ability to do that. It would be nice though then I could get my Solstice even sooner.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Inferno9823 said:
Gm employee's don't get first dibs on any car GM makes, they do get a discount but no first dibs on anything. I know this cause my Dad has worked for GM for like 37years and he has never gotten the ability to do that. It would be nice though then I could get my Solstice even sooner.
I'll bet upper management does! :rolleyes

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yeah upper like plant manager maybe but the one guy I know here is pretty high up on the food chain and he is in the same boat as everyone else. The one really nice thing you can get is a PEP car from GM if your an employee. If ya don't know what that is, it's when a high up GM guy drives around a car for maybe a few thousand miles and turns it in for another so GM sells it really cheap to the GM employees. I have been contemplating getting my Solstice this way but I think I will stick with the dealership, mostly cause I don't know if that guy beat the piss out of the car or not.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
First dibs

2 or 3 years back when I visited Columbus, OH Auto how and area Chevy dealer had his personal collection of vettes on display. He had VIN # 1 of each major body style except '53 which was about #6. That's some first dibs.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I don't know how possible that is cause I have been to the Corvette museum and I am almost positive all the #1 Vins of each Gen are in the museum. Also he is a dealer so yeah he is going to have first dibs he has of any car that comes in on his lot. He could have had all #1 Vins but I am pretty sure they are in the museum.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I doubt the February cars will end up at dealers. Sometimes GM sends dealers a very early build car as a demo, but its an early production build. Not one of the pre-production cars. It still has an official vin, and the dealer can elect to sell it instead of keeping it as a demo.

Inferno9823 said:
Yeah upper like plant manager maybe but the one guy I know here is pretty high up on the food chain and he is in the same boat as everyone else. The one really nice thing you can get is a PEP car from GM if your an employee. If ya don't know what that is, it's when a high up GM guy drives around a car for maybe a few thousand miles and turns it in for another so GM sells it really cheap to the GM employees. I have been contemplating getting my Solstice this way but I think I will stick with the dealership, mostly cause I don't know if that guy beat the piss out of the car or not.
I looked at a Camaro a few years back that was one of these GM executie cars. I think it had about 2500 miles on it. If it was beaten, it didn't show any signs of it. It was a beautiful car! Loaded to the teeth with just about all options. Unfortunately I couldn't work out a deal on it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
It's a 50/50 thing alot of the guys out here take care of there cars and some beat the crap out of theirs. I love the Camaros but I could never get over the unibody I don't know what it is but if it doesn't have a frame I am really put off. I have been in alot of unibody cars and they are really nice but I have never owned a car with out a frame. Yeah in the summer time you should see some of the cars these guys bring in all kinds off old school hot rods and stuff. Heck you could put on a car show in the parking lot 1/2 the time.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Back in the day, each dealer would be auto-shipped one model of low production vehicles, guaranteeing each dealer had one. Example is 1953 Buick Skylark. Production matched number of dealers.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Interseting stuff there I never new that about the Buick Skylark. I really like this site eveyone is pretty nice and they are all very informed about their car facts. Heck I would say some of you guys are like car historians. Hopefully one day I will be an all knowing car guy like some of you, right now I am just a meager car guy apprentice, but keep the info coming I like learing new car stuff.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Inferno9823 said:
Interseting stuff there I never new that about the Buick Skylark. I really like this site eveyone is pretty nice and they are all very informed about their car facts. Heck I would say some of you guys are like car historians. Hopefully one day I will be an all knowing car guy like some of you, right now I am just a meager car guy apprentice, but keep the info coming I like learing new car stuff.
Go ahead. Say it. Were car NERDS! :crazy

We do have a lot of good car enthusiasts here, who are well read about what is going on, and what has happened in the past. Combined, we have plenty of good information!

Maybe this is really Revenge of the car Nerds! :glol

achieftain said:
Back in the day, each dealer would be auto-shipped one model of low production vehicles, guaranteeing each dealer had one. Example is 1953 Buick Skylark. Production matched number of dealers.
Although I think it applies to any new vehicle, I believe GM still does this. If you see the first vehicle of a new model arrive on a GM lot, it has a big "property of GM" sticker on a window, and no information on its usual window sticker. These are the demos I was eluding to in a prior post. The dealer can sell the car, but it was sent to the dealer by GM early on with the intent of it being used as a demo for potential buyers.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Question with regard to how a plant handles orders (in general).

Whe someone orders a car from a dealer, options, colors etc, is that car scheduled as built to order or does it come from some inventory that's built up somewhere?

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
mceb said:
Question with regard to how a plant handles orders (in general).

Whe someone orders a car from a dealer, options, colors etc, is that car scheduled an built to order or does it come from some inventory that's built up somewhere?
From what I've heard form people who ordered Lotus Elises or the new 2005 Mustang is the order gets placed and goes into the system as a dealer order for cars, and when GM gets to the orders it's built to specification on the production line. Somewhere along this process you get your VIN # too.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
brentil said:
From what I've heard form people who ordered Lotus Elises or the new 2005 Mustang is the order gets placed and goes into the system as a dealer order for cars, and when GM gets to the orders it's built to specification on the production line. Somewhere along this process you get your VIN # too.
That is how it works. There really is no inventory to my knowledge that is not scheduled to go to a dealer. When you order a car from a dealer, the dealer orders it like they would order their own inventory. The car then gets built, and delivered to the dealer.

If there are small numbers and GM controls allocation of cars to dealers, these cars come out of that particular dealers allocation too.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts