Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Fformula88 said:
Although I think it applies to any new vehicle, I believe GM still does this. If you see the first vehicle of a new model arrive on a GM lot, it has a big "property of GM" sticker on a window, and no information on its usual window sticker. These are the demos I was eluding to in a prior post. The dealer can sell the car, but it was sent to the dealer by GM early on with the intent of it being used as a demo for potential buyers.
When you see a "Property of GM" sticker on a new car, it means just that, property of GM, and it cannot be sold. These are not demo vehicles either. What this means is that they haven't finalized pricing on the model yet. Dealers can't sell these vehicles because they don't own them yet. They don't have invoices on them so they don't even know how much to sell them for either. At the beginning of each model year some of the first vehicles recieved at dealerships have these stickers.

·
Registered
97 Posts
mceb said:
Question with regard to how a plant handles orders (in general).

Whe someone orders a car from a dealer, options, colors etc, is that car scheduled an built to order or does it come from some inventory that's built up somewhere?
All vehicles a dealer orders are built to order. Just like you go into a Subway and order exactly what you want on your sandwich. They don't have pre-built orders sitting around that nobody specifically ordered, at least not GM anyway. (Although Cadillac used to have pre-built cars sitting at the factory in order to shorten delivery time, but they cancelled the program.)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Sometimes they have cars sitting around like when we stared up the new Cobalt they built a bunch of cars in the parking lot and when I mean a bunch it's like 3000 or so and they weren't orders they where built to be sent to dealers to get the car out and then they would start taking orders for the cars.

·
Premium Member
2,887 Posts
Inferno9823 said:
Sometimes they have cars sitting around like when we stared up the new Cobalt they built a bunch of cars in the parking lot and when I mean a bunch it's like 3000 or so and they weren't orders they where built to be sent to dealers to get the car out and then they would start taking orders for the cars.
That's a bad example, as the Cobalt was held up due to some problems in production. They had those cars on the lot because they were re-working them or waiting to clear from quality before they shipped.

This usually happens when a new line starts up... heck the Cobalt is so far behind schedule right now it's not even funny. The car was supposed to be available in the Fall, and just started shipping in December, and only the Sedan. The Coupe is still in constraint at the plant, and I'm not sure the SS version will make it out the door of the plant before May of '05.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Thanks for clarifying Eastonside! I had seen on another forum someone explained that those cars were intended to be demos. Based on what you do for a living, I'll trust your insight on it instead! :smile :thumbs

21 - 25 of 25 Posts