Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dealer called me today and read a memo they received last night. I can't recall the exact wording on it (dealers, help me out), but the long and short of it is pretty much exactly what we've been speculating:

During the Apprentice episode on 14 April, the first nation-wide Solstice commercial will air. The commercial will announce the early order program.

Customers will be given a special URL to go to and get a customer ID number.

The customers will take that number to their dealer beginning on 15 April at 2PM, until 24 April (no time given, COB, maybe?). Customers will then select their options and the dealer will load the order into the system along with the website-derived unique customer ID number.

I'm not sure if it was specific as to what establishes your place in line, be it your customer ID number, or the time at which your order is loaded into the system. To be honest, it was inconsequential to me because I plan to do both ASAP. I plan to be sitting at my desk waiting to see that commercial, so that I can immediately log onto the website when it's announced (provided the URL doesn't get leaked in advance). I also plan to be standing on my dealer's desk by noon on the 15th, and watching him punch the "submit" button at 2PM (at which point I will step down from the desk).

We could actually make a competition out of this! We'll see who gets the lowest-numbered solstice among the forum members (excluding Solsticeman, since we all know he has the original concept in his garage :lol: )

RACE YA!

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
It's on...

...but I work the night of April 14th, so I am afraid I won't be able to get the URL. There better be advanced warning of the URL or an alternate place to find it.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I'd venture a guess that after the episode and commercial air Pontiac will change their website to reflect the details of the program including the URL to go to to sign up. Probably why they're not opening the ordering system until 2pm on the 15th, give people the opportunity to get the URL and get their ID. So sounds like all we have to do Internet-wise is get our ID from the website and then go to the dealer with our deposit and option list and then they'll put it in the system and confirm we paid the deposit. WOOHOOO!!!!!

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
This entire online get your special ID system kind of has me worried.
I have no worries of people getting the the URL early because it's easy enough to just not make it accesable till the exact time they want it open. What I'm worried about is some punk writing a script/program, or someone cheating the system and getting on there early and getting ahold of the first 1000+ ID values, in essence locking out all of the first cars to real people. Because unless Pontiac does something like require credit card numbers, or something else that can be validated it's extremely easy to fake data for online data entry systems. Which in turn allows for easy scripts to spoof the data access.

I still have a couple major questions about this too. Once you do this and go to a dealer are you locked in and have to buy no matter what? I mean crap, what if I don't fit in the Solstice at all? Will I get to test drive a Solstice with a roof before I have to lock in everything? Can I use my GM Card for one of the first 1000? If I don't get all of these answered before the April 15th date, I'm not even going to get on the pre-order site.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Cool, thanks 2KWK4U. Looks like I'll take off on 4/15 myself ;)

I hope we have a little more time than 9pm 4/14 to 2pm on 4/15 to pick out our options. I need time to ponder a little. GM has to get final colors/options out to world before this all goes down.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
mceb said:

I hope we have a little more time than 9pm 4/14 to 2pm on 4/15 to pick out our options. I need time to ponder a little. GM has to get final colors/options out to world before this all goes down.
Yeah, and hopefully the actual prices of those options. Pics of the roof up would be great too. Unless the roof really is optional now, and not available till Sept like the wheels. :D :willy:

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
mceb said:

My hope is that we'll have a firm list of options and prices in that package that should be in dealers' hands the week of the 4th. That should give us a week to ponder.

Also, Brentil, I think there was a clause in the .pdf files that simmonsmb posted in another thread about backing out. Seems like we'll still be able to walk away if we have to. I don't want to sign an "agrees to pay in full" contract before I have driven the car around the block, or at least until I know it's en route to my dealership.

·
Registered
284 Posts
brentil said:
What I'm worried about is some punk writing a script/program, or someone cheating the system and getting on there early and getting ahold of the first 1000+ ID values, in essence locking out all of the first cars to real people. Because unless Pontiac does something like require credit card numbers, or something else that can be validated it's extremely easy to fake data for online data entry systems. Which in turn allows for easy scripts to spoof the data access.
My understanding is that there can be an infinite number of IDs assigned, but your order doesn't go into effect until you physically walk into the dealer, give them the deposit and they log into their part of the system and confirm that your user ID has placed a deposit with their dealership and they confirm your order. If your particular user ID is confirmed by the dealership in the first 1000 orders than you get the car. If not then you get placed on a wait list in case somebody backs out. Personally I think the only reason they are doing the user ID thing is to get an accurate poll of how many people are interested in the car and where they live. How better to generate a business case for how many total units to build and where to allocate them then to have the actual people interested in buying the car tell you themselves??

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
brentil said:
This entire online get your special ID system kind of has me worried.
I have no worries of people getting the the URL early because it's easy enough to just not make it accesable till the exact time they want it open. What I'm worried about is some punk writing a script/program, or someone cheating the system and getting on there early and getting ahold of the first 1000+ ID values, in essence locking out all of the first cars to real people. Because unless Pontiac does something like require credit card numbers, or something else that can be validated it's extremely easy to fake data for online data entry systems. Which in turn allows for easy scripts to spoof the data access.

I still have a couple major questions about this too. Once you do this and go to a dealer are you locked in and have to buy no matter what? I mean crap, what if I don't fit in the Solstice at all? Will I get to test drive a Solstice with a roof before I have to lock in everything? Can I use my GM Card for one of the first 1000? If I don't get all of these answered before the April 15th date, I'm not even going to get on the pre-order site.
I can't see how many punk script-kiddies are going to jump on this peticular pre-order system... and I do not think that GM will make a limit on how many IDs can be created... it's going to be who gets to their dealer.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
2091351 said:
Which 2PM???

Eastern, Central, or.... GMT?

Steve

:grouphug:
Eastern Standard Time

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Fortimir said:
I can't see how many punk script-kiddies are going to jump on this peticular pre-order system... and I do not think that GM will make a limit on how many IDs can be created... it's going to be who gets to their dealer.
Envision someone getting ahold of all the ID's then selling them on eBay because they have them all. Think about that for a minute. It's easily do-able. Where I work I deal with website security all the time, so I see all kinds of ways people can get around and cheat systems like this in order to make money off of it.

·
Registered
88 Posts
We received the same info at the dealership. My manager said he would know more on the 23rd of March. I will let you guys know if there is anything more to this order process.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
brentil said:
Envision someone getting ahold of all the ID's then selling them on eBay because they have them all. Think about that for a minute. It's easily do-able. Where I work I deal with website security all the time, so I see all kinds of ways people can get around and cheat systems like this in order to make money off of it.
I have a feeling that IF this happened, GM wouldn't allow those codes to be used (those sold on E-Bay) and start the system over again. It's obvious from the .pdf files that they are ready to delay the program if for some reason the air date on Apprentice changes... I'm sure they have a backup plan for any delays or problems.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I don't don't think we have to worry about kiddy hackers too much since only dealers will be able to place the orders, and GM keeps pretty good tabs on their access codes. Of course, nothing is full proof.

Picture this dooms day cinereo: 2800 (minimum) Solstice dealer orders smashing into GM's order system at exactly 2PM EST Aptil 14th :brentil: Overload, system lockup, no ones order gets registered.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Think you meant Friday April 15th......But that's ok, we all knew what you meant...and yes, it's entirely possible!!! :(

·
Registered
168 Posts
Fortimir said:
It's on...

...but I work the night of April 14th, so I am afraid I won't be able to get the URL. There better be advanced warning of the URL or an alternate place to find it.

Tape the program on your VCR.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Regarding the colors and options...

How is Pontiac going to differentiate between the colors and options that are going to be available for the Solstice in general, and the colors and options that are available for the first 1000. I highly doubt they will run all the paint colors through the factory for the first 1000. My guess is that there will be limited options and maybe 2 or 3 colors available. Just a guess...

1 - 20 of 139 Posts