Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In various other treads, we've seen references to the Early Order Program. Can someone give us more information on this program.
  • Is this a program that only US dealerships participate in or can Canadian dealerships participate too?
  • How do I find out if my dealership is enrolled in the program?
  • Does enrollement in this program cost money for dealers?
  • Are there significant dates for getting one of the early Solstice
    [*]I've read of March 15, it that accurate?​
  • Any additional information is appreciated

Thank you

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Luc, in answer to yours questions. The notice that I have says all Pontiac Dealers, but I would contact your dealer directly. He can apply to the program by logging on to Ponticlaunch.com. There are two levels of promotional packages and yes there is a fee to the dealer and they must apply before March 15th. Once enrolled the dealer will receive the promo packages the week of April 4th that include a customer buyers guide. Customers can begin placing orders on Apr. 15. At this time, I am unclear as to whether the customer must also enroll on a website, or not. We will find out once the promo packages arrive at the dealer. Presently, there is no info from GM on standard equipment, options or other specs other than the set base price.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Good idea to consolidate the threads. I'll take a crack at a few based on the many threads of info floating around.

How do I find out if my dealership is enrolled in the program?
You'll need to ask your dealer.

Does enrollement in this program cost money for dealers?
Yes, it was reported in 1 post it would cost them something to signup.

Are there significant dates for getting one of the early Solstice?
March 15th is deadline for dealer signup to the program
April 4th is rumored to be the date dealers will get final marching orders (hopefully including options/colors etc.)
April 14th is the Apprentice show with Solstice info.
April 15th is when the orders start to go in (some have said a secure website with customer involvement)

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
I might add that all this information has come primarily from dealerships contacting prosepective buyers directly, apparently as a result of some announcement to the dealership network sometime this weekend.

FWIW.

I state this as a caveat emptor because, as we know, there has been a lot of information from the dealership network that has been accurate, but also a lot of information from the dealership network that has been quite inaccurate.

However, there must be some element of accuracy, as we have seen dealerships from many different areas of the US that have quoted very similar scenario.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
I think I've counted at least 10 different members + dealers that have reported about the information above. Some were contacted by their dealers, others were dealers posting the info. I think we're getting enough of the exact same data in that this is looking pretty solid.

There are a couple things still un-resolved so far.
  • Do customers need to go to some web site to do part of their order?
  • How do you get one of the first 1000?
  • How will you know your dealer will be aloted one of the 1000 even if the sign up since there are 2800+ dealerships?
  • If you get one of the 1000, do you get it earlier then the rest of the production cars?

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Yup, brentil. I was just bringing this up in case anyone who comes online and reads this understands where the info came from. Thanks for the tally...

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
solsticeman said:
I might add that all this information has come primarily from dealerships contacting prosepective buyers directly, apparently as a result of some announcement to the dealership network sometime this weekend.

FWIW.

I state this as a caveat emptor because, as we know, there has been a lot of information from the dealership network that has been accurate, but also a lot of information from the dealership network that has been quite inaccurate.
Yes, you are correct, but that could be said about any information posted in this forum. We are all talking about a car that really doesn't exist yet (at least in its production form). At most, we have members that have seen a preproduction version at autoshows, one that has sat in it and a few others who have driven it in a games console.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
brentil said:
I think I've counted at least 10 different members + dealers that have reported about the information above. Some were contacted by their dealers, others were dealers posting the info. I think we're getting enough of the exact same data in that this is looking pretty solid.

There are a couple things still un-resolved so far.
  • Do customers need to go to some web site to do part of their order?
  • How do you get one of the first 1000?
  • How will you know your dealer will be aloted one of the 1000 even if the sign up since there are 2800+ dealerships?
  • If you get one of the 1000, do you get it earlier then the rest of the production cars?
Brentl, your questions are right on target. Is Mr. high volume dealer, high population market area, going to be favored for the first 1000? If GM isn't building cars until June, then I doubt they will arrive much earlier then the week of the 20th. But, maybe they have something up their sleeve. As ordering time gets closer some of these ??? will have to be answered.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
PAS22 said:
Brentl, your questions are right on target. Is Mr. high volume dealer, high population market area, going to be favored for the first 1000? If GM isn't building cars until June, then I doubt they will arrive much earlier then the week of the 20th. But, maybe they have something up their sleeve. As ordering time gets closer some of these ??? will have to be answered.
Yeah, because say there are 100 Pontiac Dealerships who are in "prime Roadster areas" and are known volume movers, say they get the max of 5 Solsti. That's 50% of the entire alotment to 3.6% of the dealers. That leaves 500 Solsti to be fought over by 2700 dealers. You'd at best have a 1:5.4 chance your dealer will get ONE Solstice.

I've contacted the two dealers in my area to see what information they have, and how long thier pre-order lines are if they have any at all.

·
Registered
57 Posts
What this sort of thinking seems to foster is for, folks like myself, that live in larger metropolitan markets where there are many dealers....Just get on the lists of all the dealers willing to take a name. Then once information and availability are known, pick and choose a dealer that will provide the car (i.e one of the first 1000). Not good, however, folks that want a solstice as part of the first 1000, may just do it. :brentil:

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
brentil said:
Yeah, because say there are 100 Pontiac Dealerships who are in "prime Roadster areas" and are known volume movers, say they get the max of 5 Solsti. That's 50% of the entire alotment to 3.6% of the dealers. That leaves 500 Solsti to be fought over by 2700 dealers. You'd at best have a 1:5.4 chance your dealer will get ONE Solstice.

I've contacted the two dealers in my area to see what information they have, and how long thier pre-order lines are if they have any at all.
Mine is small, and in a small population market area. If the Solstice is alocated a relatively small annual production he will be lucky to be shipped even one. I am going to try for the first 1000 but my chances don't look good. GM should have guaranteed at least one per entered dealer. Maybe their assuming only 50% of the dealers will enroll in the early order program??? :crazy:

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
They might not be the most informed, but I do have to say the two dealers in my area are damn quick to respond. Apparently one dealerhsip in my area already has 2 pre-orders and the other has "already taken several orders," which I'm taking to mean 2+. Unless these Central Florida dealers find some way to get more then 2 I wouldn't even be able to get one of the first ones. I hope if there is some sort of online pre-order system you can still pre-order even if you don't get one of the first 1000.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Obviously the first 1000 is a marketing ploy to raise interest in the car. But from everything I have read so far from GM, each dealer can place up to five orders for first run cars. You do the math. It sounds like everything above the first 1000 is charged against regular dealer allotment. Remember how fast the XLR sold out, and that was something like 5000 units at 80 klicks apiece. What is going to happen if Pontiac is hit with 5 to 10,000 units in the first month? Delay, delay, delay. I know, I'm a pesimist. :(

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Hey Brentil, I just spotted something from GM under "Distribution" Solstice allocation formula is based on "50% Pontiac retail sales history for prior 12 months and 50% competitive set", inlcuding 11 key competitor cars (which are named). Which all means nothing to me.

And get this, is lists Phase 1 as Early-order Program and June Retail Production. Another clue that the first 1000 are being treated differently than the reamain first months production.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
PAS22 said:
Hey Brentil, I just spotted something from GM under "Distribution" Solstice allocation formula is based on "50% Pontiac retail sales history for prior 12 months and 50% competitive set", inlcuding 11 key competitor cars (which are named). Which all means nothing to me.

And get this, is lists Phase 1 as Early-order Program and June Retail Production. Another clue that the first 1000 are being treated differently than the reamain first months production.
Sounds like what was mentioned before about if it's a "Roadster Friendly" area or not. I bet the 11 named cars include things like the Miata and other Roadsters. So the alotment you get is (50% based off your sales volume) + (50% based off how well those 11 named cars sell in your area) = Solstice Alotment Importance Rating. The higher your SAIR the more Solsti you get.

·
Registered
49 Posts
mceb said:
Are there significant dates for getting one of the early Solstice?

April 14th is the Apprentice show with Solstice info.
April 15th is when the orders start to go in (some have said a secure website with customer involvement)

Where can this information be located?

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
TomDoc said:
Where can this information be located?
Welcome back Tomdoc. I believe dealers got a packet of info last week with some/all of this info about early order program. I'm not a dealer but this thread is a consolidation of about a dozen others on the subject.

·
Registered
285 Posts
;)
brentil said:
Sounds like what was mentioned before about if it's a "Roadster Friendly" area or not. I bet the 11 named cars include things like the Miata and other Roadsters. So the alotment you get is (50% based off your sales volume) + (50% based off how well those 11 named cars sell in your area) = Solstice Alotment Importance Rating. The higher your SAIR the more Solsti you get.
Well as resident of the Michigan Detroit area, I had some wishful thinking on how the first 1000 cars will be allocated:

From a marketing standpoint it would make sense to push a higher number of cars to the north (but this area in particular) for two reasons.

1. Weather: The closer we get to fall the less chance the car will have to sell. Hard to think about spending $$ on a covertible that won't get used till spring, just wait till spring to buy it. It would make sense to send the cars north first for summer then push them south as numbers build and take advantage of the longer 'convertible' weather

2. GMS Pricing: There are a TON of GM Employees in the area plus all the other suppliers that get discounts (not saying there aren't a lot of plants all over the place but home of the big 3 we have a pretty high concentration). Ok, so we know GMS probably won't happen the first production year, but at some point it likely will. So to buy a car at MSRP is already a loss for these people (unless it has 0 depreciation). Why not lure them into buying now instead of waiting for the discount buy saying "Give up your discount, but get a truely rare car". I know I would happily give up my GM Discount to get a numbered car plus the awe factor of new kid on the block and hopes it will hold it's value (or have an increase) because of the rareness.

Well just had to take the time to convince any GM Marketing people who read the post to push for more cars (and more chances for me) in the Detroit area ;)

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I am not a dealer, but mine gets product notification on a web site called Pontiaclaunch.com. Don't try, you can't log on unless you have an authorized dealer access code. The Early Order Program is explained on some print outs from this site that my dealer gave me. No State or Corporate secrets just some basic info about whats going to happen and when. Any dealer has access to this same information. None, however, has more unless their personal friends with Bob L!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts