Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

Should GM Get the car out for summer or keep it in "beta" to work out the bugs?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm curious what people think should be GM's primary focus between getting the Solstice out as soon as possible versus doing a thorough job of quality control?

Everyone knows that first year cars are often plauged with problems. Assuming GM felt that everything was generally right with the car but had not done thorough quality control would you rather have them get the car out the door by the end of June or have them spend an extra couple of months fine tuning everything and insuring that there are no problems before the car goes into mainstream production (even if it means no Solstice till October)?

Also, Does anyone fear that the first 1,000 might have more problems than the rest because they were the first 1,000 and problems may appear during the first large scale production run? Is there value to waiting until year 2? Does the value of it being a 1st "limited edition" outweigh the possible problems of being first?

Personally I'm wrestling with these questions myself. I don't think there's any way I'm going to wait a whole year to get my toy but logically it sure seems to make seems like with a major purchase it's foolish to rush into an unkown just to be first to have something. I had always told myself I'd never buy a first year car and here I go... :confused:

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
solsticedreamin said:
I'm curious what people think should be GM's primary focus between getting the Solstice out as soon as possible versus doing a thorough job of quality control?
There's been all kinds of news reports about delays to work on issues and get it right (quality). Don't see the rush?

·
Registered
350 Posts
This is going to be my only car. Why would I want to loose my car a couple times during the year. Definately get it right before release

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
I choose option 1, but that isn't financially viable for GM. Why wouldn't they want to get it absolutely correct before release? There would be a bigger PR bomb to diffuse if they sent this car out the door knowing something isn't right than if they delay it to exorcise any demons that crop up in the pre-production runs.

Also, it would be way more expensive for them to build 1,000 (or 10,000 - 20,000) cars with less than optimal components - (and the top or front fascia aren't cheap) and then have to replace said components under warranty - than it would for them to put the better parts on from the get-go.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I'll wait for as many problems that need to be corrected get corrected. Don't really want to leave the car at the dealer for crap that could've been fixed at the factory and it only delayed the release a few months. I'll still be waiting for the Solstice after the 4th quarter of 2005 if I have to.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Quality Assurance should come first but as we all know the people that control the money are in charge.
I for one am happy in knowing that there we be Thousands of cars built before they build mine. Hopefully they'll have it down by then, because I don't want a car that will be plagued with issues.

·
Registered
905 Posts
I'll wait till December after that I'll look for something else, I would like to see it fully tested though.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Why would someone prefer to receive a Solstice 3 months sooner if its just going to be a lemon? I wouldn't.

GM should by all means get the car ready before releasing it. If that means a delay, so be it! A bad reputation on early build cars due to poor quality will do far more harm to GM, Pontiac, and the Solstice then making a few anxious buyers wait a couple more months.

·
Registered
251 Posts
There is a much bigger issue to GM than what we want as far as delivery...GM is in big trouble...they have come out with several new models that just do not inspire "excitement". Maybe because I am from Detroit and feel it more than in other parts of the country...as Ford and GM go so does the economy of S.E. Michigan, (as well as other automotive dependant areas of the country). This program, with all it's hype and promise represent a totally new direction for GM, if it (the Solstice) comes out with substantial flaws...it could literally destoy GM...or at least the Pontiac brand...and most certainly Mr. Lutz's credibility. But mostly would break my heart... I have been a lifetime fan of Pontiac...68GTO...69 Firebird Trans Am were my 1st cars... I CAN WAIT!!!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
SOL MIO said:
There is a much bigger issue to GM than what we want as far as delivery...GM is in big trouble...they have come out with several new models that just do not inspire "excitement". Maybe because I am from Detroit and feel it more than in other parts of the country...as Ford and GM go so does the economy of S.E. Michigan, (as well as other automotive dependant areas of the country). This program, with all it's hype and promise represent a totally new direction for GM, if it (the Solstice) comes out with substantial flaws...it could literally destoy GM...or at least the Pontiac brand...and most certainly Mr. Lutz's credibility. But mostly would break my heart... I have been a lifetime fan of Pontiac...68GTO...69 Firebird Trans Am were my 1st cars... I CAN WAIT!!!

I agree whole heartedly, however there is a flip side. Buzz=excitement. Releasing convertible that was supposed to be out mid summer in December = Buzz Killer = Excitement killer. It's too late now but I suggest that they would have been far better off to hold the car until April 2006 and do the buzz/apprentice thing then. It will be hard to ever re-build the level of excitement once the buzz wears off (which will happen as soon as the country turns grey and rainy).

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I have to chime in here....

Maybe they are purposely leaking mentions of delays, etc in order to have overwhelming news that they have delivered the first 1000 cars in June. And they fixed the "fit problem" right away to make the car as good as it can be.

Now THAT would be attention getting!

·
Registered
905 Posts
Excelsior said:

Maybe they are purposely leaking mentions of delays, etc in order to have overwhelming news that they have delivered the first 1000 cars in June. And they fixed the "fit problem" right away to make the car as good as it can be.

That would be the best thing to happen since pumpkin pie!

·
497 Posts
As SOL MIO said GM really needs to get this right. GM is in trouble and the Solstice is one of several new models intended to get Pontiac back on the map. I’m all for waiting while GM corrects any quality issues.

As far as the speculation that leaking news of delays and then delivering in June to generate press… we can only hope!

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
If GM tells everyone about delays and then delivers early there will be alot of people who will wonder what shortcuts were performed on their car to get it out so quick. GM needs to be honest, this appears to be one of the problems we are seeing. The car was to be out this fall, then the car was to be out early, now it's a fourth quarter delivery. I understand that fourth quarter can be fall but it can also be December. If GM were honest and kept everyone well informed, we would think they were fantastic. With mass mailings and e-mail, why doesn't GM send all of the first 1000 a correspondence giving good, correct information about the manufacturing process and delivery. If GM wants to get good press, all they have to do is treat the first 1000 Sol owners like they are special people. E-mail them, or send them a flyer about the production of the car. Invite them to Deleware to see the cars being manufactured. The cost for doing this would be next to nothing, but the positive PR would be priceless. GM could be turning a production delay into a positive PR item. Show the press how GM is concerned about their customers, show the press how they want their customers to be informed. I understand every GM customer can't expect kid glove attention, but with the media hype about the Sol, why doesn't GM play the game. Turn a problem into a positive media event using the Sol 1000 as how the "New GM" treats their customers. Think about it GM, the only way you can go is up with an idea like this and the cost would be so minor it wouldn't even be felt.

·
Registered
251 Posts
TO Ex-Miata Man :agree: :agree: :agree: Hey if you are looking for a job, come to Detroit...it's about time somebody gets it right regarding how to handle their customers...

·
Registered
479 Posts
What a great idea, customer service and communication, I for one would love to go to the plant and observe my solstice being built. What a windfall of good press GM could receive if the lucky 1000 were given that opportunity. Why not let you drive it home from the plant after completion if you wanted to! No problem for me I live in Delaware. :agree:
Ex-Miata Man said:
If GM tells everyone about delays and then delivers early there will be alot of people who will wonder what shortcuts were performed on their car to get it out so quick. GM needs to be honest, this appears to be one of the problems we are seeing. The car was to be out this fall, then the car was to be out early, now it's a fourth quarter delivery. I understand that fourth quarter can be fall but it can also be December. If GM were honest and kept everyone well informed, we would think they were fantastic. With mass mailings and e-mail, why doesn't GM send all of the first 1000 a correspondence giving good, correct information about the manufacturing process and delivery. If GM wants to get good press, all they have to do is treat the first 1000 Sol owners like they are special people. E-mail them, or send them a flyer about the production of the car. Invite them to Deleware to see the cars being manufactured. The cost for doing this would be next to nothing, but the positive PR would be priceless. GM could be turning a production delay into a positive PR item. Show the press how GM is concerned about their customers, show the press how they want their customers to be informed. I understand every GM customer can't expect kid glove attention, but with the media hype about the Sol, why doesn't GM play the game. Turn a problem into a positive media event using the Sol 1000 as how the "New GM" treats their customers. Think about it GM, the only way you can go is up with an idea like this and the cost would be so minor it wouldn't even be felt.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Get it right First!!! Buggy software is bad enough, having to wait three weeks to have a transmission fixed 2 weeks after you get you brand new car really sours you on the car!

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Absolutely get these cars right from the start. I love the special treatment idea as that would be around of good PR for GM for a change

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Excelsior said:

I doubt GM would be leaking news about delays purposely. In fact, they have emphasized to dealers to be sure to tell EOP buyers of the Q4 delivery schedule to prepare them. I think they are serious on the delays.

·
Registered
146 Posts
get it right

My salesman thought that the cars were already IN production on April 15th-and that they were just waiting on the details for orders to be filled... right. That would of been great IF true. It would have put Pontiac in a lot better position than this, a roadster coming out in the Fall-just in time for storage (for some of us that are a little too close to the snow belt for all season converts). I am hoping that they get it right... would rather wait now than pay for an early delivery later.

They had to know that the interest was there... our $500 to $1000 refundable deposits couldn't of held things up...

------------------------------
Get R done :lol: Pontiac Cuz' we can't wait to drive em....
__________________________________________________ :yawn:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts