Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
AutoLine Detroit just did a segment with a fellow from Eaton Manufacyuring. It seems they supply superchargers to GM and M-B (they also have the technology for taking cylinders offline when not needed like the Hemi's are starting to do).

http://www.automotive.eaton.com/product/engine_controls/superchargers/superchargers.asp

Neither Pontiac or Solstice were mentioned specifically, but I wonder if this could be the supplier for the SC for the enhanced performance Solstice?

It was an interesting segment. The thinking was that turbos are better suited to diesel use. For gasoline engines, the talk was smaller engine size for better fuel economy but with a SC to get the power up where the consumer expects it to be...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,901 Posts
The Supercharger used in the Grand Prix, SS Cobalt, and Redline are all Eaton Superchargers. So are the dealer installed Cavalier/Sunfire and Vibe Superchargers.
 

·
Mod Emeritus
Joined
·
7,468 Posts
If the Solstice is supercharged, I would expect an Eaton to be used. GM uses it everywhere else, and it would not make much sense for them to source a different S/C for this application. They seem to be working well with Eaton.

Still, I would not count out a turbo yet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
151 Posts
Fformula88 said:
If the Solstice is supercharged, I would expect an Eaton to be used. GM uses it everywhere else, and it would not make much sense for them to source a different S/C for this application. They seem to be working well with Eaton.

Still, I would not count out a turbo yet.
i still think the solstice will be s/c, but if the cobalt and redline are ill received (the redline ion hasn't been such a "smash" hit), a turbo setup similar to the saab is not out of the picture. i just hope the cobalt turns out to be a hit since it's not a saturn. i love this engine! here is a dyno graph from a redline

Ion Red Line Dyno

note the "205hp" engine putting 210 to the wheels!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,570 Posts
I think the plot is about the virtuous, but nieve young Saturn venturing out into the world, only to be thwarted at every turn in his quest for acceptence by the deranged General returned from years of battle on Wall Street. In the darkest hour after the second act, when it appears hopeless, a desperate rescue is performed by injecting superchargers into the veins of the our hero Saturn. This gives him the strength to carry on until help arrives in the form of a bright light in the east called Lightning. This light is from the distant, but promising land of Kappa, where a good and just king by the name of Lutz rules and drives fear into the hearts of bean counters everywhere. By the end of our story Saturn is eccepted into the hearts of people world wide and everyone lives happily ever after with no haggeling. :cheers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
535 Posts
God, I love the TQ curves of positive displacement blowers!! Funny though that on the one run where he tuned his A/F better, it really had no benefit on the output?!?!?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
151 Posts
solsticeman said:
I'm checking to see if I'll get in trouble.

But the plot I saw was better than the one posted. By a hefty percentage.
can i assume "cobalt?", and by doing that, do i smell reflash? i really hope so! i know there are still not any official numbers for the cobalt, but i don't see why whatever is done cannot be done to the redline. could gearing also affect whp?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
151 Posts
also, to not hijack the thread completely, eaton has a new design out, its a front inlet design that improves the flow making the roots design more efficient than even their latest generations. don't know of any commercial applications yet though
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,206 Posts
Vita said:
can i assume "cobalt?", ...
Nope. Well, you COULD assume, but you know what happens when you assume...

Haven't got an answer, might have spoke too soon, though. Sorry to tease you...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,901 Posts
solsticeman said:
I've seen a plot that's better... ;)
Is that why you keep refering to a Turbocharged Solstice solsticeman? You got some Turbocharged Solstice dyno plots for us? I'll gladly eat my shoe along with my hat for you to prove me wrong, and see and early forced induction release :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
151 Posts
solsticeman said:
Nope. Well, you COULD assume, but you know what happens when you assume...

Haven't got an answer, might have spoke too soon, though. Sorry to tease you...
damn man, at least i can make an "assumtion" that it is not the cobalt according to you post, i would be pissed if they got that much better of a setup than the redline, well not too bad, i love my car

anyways, keep us updated!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
151 Posts
Darkhamr said:
God, I love the TQ curves of positive displacement blowers!! Funny though that on the one run where he tuned his A/F better, it really had no benefit on the output?!?!?
im not sure there was any tuning involved, i'm pretty sure that it was just a stock dyno run, could be wrong though...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,901 Posts
Might have been a better fuel/air ratio due to the engine being cold from the first run. Then on the second/third runs once the engine compartment got up to full temperature it started feeding less fuel due to hotter air.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,206 Posts
brentil said:
Is that why you keep refering to a Turbocharged Solstice solsticeman? You got some Turbocharged Solstice dyno plots for us? I'll gladly eat my shoe along with my hat for you to prove me wrong, and see and early forced induction release :D

Unnnhhh... Well, guys... I almost lost one of my contacts. She/He was kinda upset - so I'll not say much more about powertrains.

But keep an open mind, your nose to the grindstone, shoulder to the wheel, and your ear on the ground (a very awkward position, if you really think about it...)

GM does SC and TC and they are very global in reach. (Cripes, they even have Aussies developing Kappa variations....)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,901 Posts
Well that's not good, sorry to hear that. Guess we'll just have to wait till some official info gets released then. :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
281 Posts
no doubt the saab kappa will have TC. so, lets hope the solstice does, too. and, lets hope its similar to the link i sent ya. :thumbs

solsticeman said:
Unnnhhh... Well, guys... I almost lost one of my contacts. She/He was kinda upset - so I'll not say much more about powertrains.

But keep an open mind, your nose to the grindstone, shoulder to the wheel, and your ear on the ground (a very awkward position, if you really think about it...)

GM does SC and TC and they are very global in reach. (Cripes, they even have Aussies developing Kappa variations....)
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Top