Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 2007 Solstice 2.4l engin. Love the car.... BUT we replaced the catalytic converter last year to pass inspection. About 2 weeks after inspection, check engine comes back on. Take it in, mechanic says it's showing the upper O2 sensor needs to be replaced. Replaced it, it comes back on in three days. They hook it up & it shows the o2 again... Replace it again, next week the light is back. This time it shows the Cat. We put ANOTHER catalytic converter on. 3 days later, guess who's back... Show converter again, can't be - it's brand stinkin new! It was suggested that it might b the ECM. Anyone else think this could be the cause? Would resetting it work? Should we swap out the ECM? My wife is crushed thinking about this, she's afraid that she going to have to sell it. Anyone else have this problem? Help!

·
Registered
55 Posts
I know on the Solo aftermarket high flow cat, they provide with an extention to get sensor a little further from the stream. No CEL so I guess it works.

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
Diagnostic readouts alone cannot specifically identify a bad O2 sensor, only that there is a problem with the signal received from that sensor. And a faulty signal from an O2 sensor can also sometimes lead to a defective CAT determination. It takes very little to interfere with or skew the O2 sensor signal. That is also why they run shielded wires to the sensors. Chances are very high you have a problem with the wiring between the ECM and the offending sensor, probably just some surface corrosion at a connecting pin. An ECM almost never goes bad internally, just bent, broken, or corroded pins.

·
Premium Member
4,262 Posts
Try replacing the downstream O2 sensor (after the cat ) I had a similar problem a few years ago at the Dream Cruise .I went to an Auto Zone and they read the code which was the emissions system problem 02 sensor or cat . They recommended a shop in Farmington Hills , Joe Stamells Auto Care (great service !) who had a Diagnostic Code reader which was able to pinpoint my problem as the downstream 02 sensor replaced it ,cleared the code and no problems since The sensor itself is pretty easy to get to it's just past the cat but you will need a special 7/8 socket to remove it . If you have a Harbor Freight in your area they sell the socket for under 10 bucks ,if you don't have a code reader you can clear the code by removing the negative battery cable for 30 seconds . Welcome to the forum and good luck let us know what you find out .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts