Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Somehow, I didn't notice that the 2.4 had an 88mm bore until 5 minutes ago. I had assumed the increase in displacement would be through a 103mm stroke.

This is intriguing. Why would GM produce new heads, gaskets, sleeves, pistons, rings, etc. for an engine that will be installed in a single low volume vehicle?

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
It'll also be in the Solstice, Sky, and more then likely the Opel GT and what ever the other Kappa varients will be.

So that's...
  1. Solstice
  2. Sky
  3. Opel GT
  4. Cobalt
  5. HHR
  6. G6
  7. ION

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Brentil, you can add the Saturn Ion to your list. The 2.4L VVT will be optional in that car.

Possibly a rental fleet grade Malibu too, and I would think it may also end up seeing duty in vehicles such as the Saturn Vue to boost its base engine power at some point.

The 2.4L VVT will be widely used.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
If GM is planning on moving this many cars, plus several others of their current engine platforms, that has a lot of good thign sto imply about this engine. I really don't think they'd move a lot of economy cars onto this engine platform if it didn't provide very comprable fuel economy to the engines it would be displacing. I'm really hoping GM's VVT implementation is going to give us a halo engine for our halo car.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok, so the 2.4 will displace the 2.2 as GM's standard 4 cylinder engine.

So what becomes of the 2.0? Do you think that the 2.4 will be converted into a sturdy, high revving motor suitable for forced induction?

Or, to put it another way, do you suppose that the '07 boosted Solstice, Cobalt, and Ion will have a 2.1?

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Mike Victor said:
ok, so the 2.4 will displace the 2.2 as GM's standard 4 cylinder engine.

So what becomes of the 2.0? Do you think that the 2.4 will be converted into a sturdy, high revving motor suitable for forced induction?

Or, to put it another way, do you suppose that the '07 boosted Solstice, Cobalt, and Ion will have a 2.1?
Good news! The 2.4 already includes some of the beefed up features of the 2.0L S/C motor. However, its not really displacing the 2.2L Ecotec. It will remain the bread and butter engine on the economy cars (Cobalt, Ion). The 2.4L is going to be a mid level option, with the 2.0L S/C the top level! :crazy

I think there will be a boosted version of the 2.4L. Not sure when, but as it stands now it seems way overengineerred for its current power output.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
I see them taking the same block, and probably bore/bore spacing, and putting in forged internals with a shorter stroke and longer rods. That'll reduce the CR to a more "boost-friendly" range.

Agree that the motor is overbuilt for its current output (with the piston-cooling oil jets, cast aluminum oilpan, etc). I think when we do finally see the boosted version, the displacement will be knocked down a notch by virtue of the shorter stroke.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Here is an interesting article I dug back up yesterday for a different post. In it, they talk some about ecotec engine possibilities:

The beauty of the Ecotec engine is that, with turbocharging or supercharging, it’s capable of delivering 250 hp which would take us from seven seconds for the base car’s zero-to-sixty performance down to the five-second range. In other words, the 4-cylinder offers so much flexibility we see no need for a V-6.
250 may be possible with the 2.0L S/C. Its putting out 220-230 now (even though its listed at 205) and it is still building revs when it hits the limiter. Some tweaks, a higher redline, and it could do 250.

A boosted 2.4L derivative as you said, forged internals, etc, could easily do 250.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
2KWK4U said:
I see them taking the same block, and probably bore/bore spacing, and putting in forged internals with a shorter stroke and longer rods. That'll reduce the CR to a more "boost-friendly" range.

Agree that the motor is overbuilt for its current output (with the piston-cooling oil jets, cast aluminum oilpan, etc). I think when we do finally see the boosted version, the displacement will be knocked down a notch by virtue of the shorter stroke.
The forged internals is one of the things the 2.4L is missing over the 2.0L Supercharged engine. Would be really nice to have them, but it's understandable to save money.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Fformula88 said:
Here is an interesting article I dug back up yesterday for a different post. In it, they talk some about ecotec engine possibilities:

250 may be possible with the 2.0L S/C. Its putting out 220-230 now (even though its listed at 205) and it is still building revs when it hits the limiter. Some tweaks, a higher redline, and it could do 250.

A boosted 2.4L derivative as you said, forged internals, etc, could easily do 250.
I believe the 250HP value is based off the normal 2.2L ECOTEC. From that 800HP ECOTEC build article, they made it to 283HP with that engine before parts failed. However, the majority of the parts that failed are the ones that have already been replaced in the 2.0L Supercharged engine with forged versions. I'm betting the 2.0L engine has a very good chance of reaching 300HP on it's stock internals.

Kinda off topic but this got me thinking of it. I'm really amased GM hasn't created a rally car version of any of their vehicles to compete against Ford in the WRC. (I really don't count Subaru as being close enough to GM for the WRX to count.)

·
Registered
72 Posts
brentil said:
(I really don't count Subaru as being close enough to GM for the WRX to count.)

Yes but GM does see profits off of the Subaru WRX Rally car, both Financially, and in Future builds. So I'd say they are already in the rally market. Look at the new Saab 9.5x wagon. It is a darn near identical twin to the WRX wagon. :smile

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Yellatec said:
Yes but GM does see profits off of the Subaru WRX Rally car, both Financially, and in Future builds. So I'd say they are already in the rally market. Look at the new Saab 9.5x wagon. It is a darn near identical twin to the WRX wagon. :smile
Yes, but unless you know your stuff fairly well, most people don't see Subaru as being a part of GM. If you go to gm.com like an average person would in search of information you will not find a thing about Subaru there. You will find info about Vauxhall, Opel, and Fiat though. If the genral public doesn't associate them directly to GM then in my opinion GM has no WRC offering in the public eye. There's no car there that someone will look at in general and be "that's a GM car." They need something like Ford does with the Ford Focus to get the publics attention. GM seems to be keeping their finger on doing drag racing, drifting, and GT class that people can recognise with the Corvette C5R and now C6R, CTS-V, GTO Drifter, ECOTEC dragsters, etc.

I think the boosted 2.4L ECOTEC VVT varient could be a great platform for building a rally car with once it's been worked to meet WRC regulations.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts