Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Brentil, you can add the Saturn Ion to your list. The 2.4L VVT will be optional in that car.

Possibly a rental fleet grade Malibu too, and I would think it may also end up seeing duty in vehicles such as the Saturn Vue to boost its base engine power at some point.

The 2.4L VVT will be widely used.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Mike Victor said:
ok, so the 2.4 will displace the 2.2 as GM's standard 4 cylinder engine.

So what becomes of the 2.0? Do you think that the 2.4 will be converted into a sturdy, high revving motor suitable for forced induction?

Or, to put it another way, do you suppose that the '07 boosted Solstice, Cobalt, and Ion will have a 2.1?
Good news! The 2.4 already includes some of the beefed up features of the 2.0L S/C motor. However, its not really displacing the 2.2L Ecotec. It will remain the bread and butter engine on the economy cars (Cobalt, Ion). The 2.4L is going to be a mid level option, with the 2.0L S/C the top level! :crazy

I think there will be a boosted version of the 2.4L. Not sure when, but as it stands now it seems way overengineerred for its current power output.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Here is an interesting article I dug back up yesterday for a different post. In it, they talk some about ecotec engine possibilities:

The beauty of the Ecotec engine is that, with turbocharging or supercharging, it’s capable of delivering 250 hp which would take us from seven seconds for the base car’s zero-to-sixty performance down to the five-second range. In other words, the 4-cylinder offers so much flexibility we see no need for a V-6.
250 may be possible with the 2.0L S/C. Its putting out 220-230 now (even though its listed at 205) and it is still building revs when it hits the limiter. Some tweaks, a higher redline, and it could do 250.

A boosted 2.4L derivative as you said, forged internals, etc, could easily do 250.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts