Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Speaks well of the basic architechture of the long block. Now if we can just have all the components that bolt on to it and in it be just as robust, that would be fantastic. That would help restore faith in GM, and go a long way towards launching them back to market domination.

My problem with equating a race engine with the one you get off the showroom floor is, the race engine is hand built and is made of many components that have nothing to do with the stock engine. They got 36 minutes of full throttle operation at 700hp, but will we get 100k miles without any trips to the dealer? Maybe. :skep

It does look very good for those that intend to buy a Solstice, and then yank the new motor and rebuild it into a race type motor. It shows the race potential of the basic design. It would be nice to know what all the changes that were made from stock were. For the rest of us that don't intend to rebuild our brand new engines, it is only interesting to know what our engines are capable of with enough money and time.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the rotating assembly is race specific, but those motors are using a production head and block.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
The ecotec seems to be a very stout motor, and I have not heard of any major problems yet in production cars with catastrophic failures. My problem with GM vehicles always seem to be those bolt on items too. I mean things like the starter, the alternator, the ignition system. Those are generally the parts that give people problems in production cars.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fformula88 said:
The ecotec seems to be a very stout motor, and I have not heard of any major problems yet in production cars with catastrophic failures. My problem with GM vehicles always seem to be those bolt on items too. I mean things like the starter, the alternator, the ignition system. Those are generally the parts that give people problems in production cars.

GM seems to have fixed those things also, I work in a GM dealership's part dept. and our warranty claims have dropped a good bit in the last few years. The vehicles are just a lot less likely to break.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Rik said:
GM seems to have fixed those things also, I work in a GM dealership's part dept. and our warranty claims have dropped a good bit in the last few years. The vehicles are just a lot less likely to break.
Thats good to hear! I have suspected they were getting better because I hear less complaints, but its always hard to tell from testimonials of owners whether it is a trend or not.

Hopefully these ecotecs are bulletproof and will hold up for a long time.

Maybe the best indicator of how well the ecotec is built would be to check in on how well the 2.2L ecotecs are doing that have had the parts department supercharger installed. They are stock internally and do not have the Ion Redline internal improvements. If the stock motor can hold up to the moderate boost, a non boosted one should be in great shape for the long haul!

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
If it's any indication, the 2.2L ecotec in my VUE has held up to 51,400 miles so far without missing a beat. I regularly wind it out to 6,500 RPM before shifting, and once in a while I even run into the rev limiter. It's been cross country more times than I care to count, loaded up and through the mountains. I haven't babied it other than switching to Mobil1 at 36K miles when the warranty expired, and changing the oil every 3-4K thereafter. I pulled the spark plugs the other day just to check 'em. They look like they came out of an engine with maybe 10,000 miles on it. Still gapped at .045, and they're all identical looking, not fouled in the least! Normally, I'd do an oil analysis and compression check at 50K miles, but I don't think I'm even going to worry about it with this one.

I'd like to put a S/C on it, and might still one of these days since it has a hard time pushing that brick of a vehicle around at highway speeds in the mountains. That would be a good test of durability. If money were no object, I wouldn't hesitate one bit to go for it.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
2KWK4U said:
If it's any indication, the 2.2L ecotec in my VUE has held up to 51,400 miles so far without missing a beat. I regularly wind it out to 6,500 RPM before shifting, and once in a while I even run into the rev limiter. It's been cross country more times than I care to count, loaded up and through the mountains. I haven't babied it other than switching to Mobil1 at 36K miles when the warranty expired, and changing the oil every 3-4K thereafter. I pulled the spark plugs the other day just to check 'em. They look like they came out of an engine with maybe 10,000 miles on it. Still gapped at .045, and they're all identical looking, not fouled in the least! Normally, I'd do an oil analysis and compression check at 50K miles, but I don't think I'm even going to worry about it with this one.

I'd like to put a S/C on it, and might still one of these days since it has a hard time pushing that brick of a vehicle around at highway speeds in the mountains. That would be a good test of durability. If money were no object, I wouldn't hesitate one bit to go for it.
The Vue's may be a great vehicle to check the ecotec's durability out on. The vehicle is considerably bigger and heavier than one of GM's compacts, and the engine is sure to worker harder in the Vue than the j-body or delta cars over its life. Glad to hear yours is treating you well!

·
Registered
600 Posts
GM has been producing better vehicles and parts. The 2.4L should be enough for those of us that want to keep it stock and keep the vehicle for many years to come.

·
Registered
73 Posts
mikefred1952 said:
GM has been producing better vehicles and parts. The 2.4L should be enough for those of us that want to keep it stock and keep the vehicle for many years to come.

Lets hope you are right. :cheers I have been spoiled with Honda motors for some time now. I'm worried about the Ecotecs reliability as well as other Gm parts.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Road Trip said:
Lets hope you are right. :cheers I have been spoiled with Honda motors for some time now. I'm worried about the Ecotecs reliability as well as other Gm parts.
i wish my mom was spoiled by her honda. :smile

1 - 12 of 12 Posts