Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm dne' and live in Houston, Tx. I'm currently working on a 71 Triumph TR6 and have been shopping for the power train which I'd like in it. I've joined other forums looking, and so far the consensus says an Ecotec, and since the Solstice is a rear engine relieves me as it is a RWD and won't need an expensive adapter, so I can use the engine and trans, and possibly driveshaft(to be cut to fit).

IF you guys can help me, I'll join the group and pay the dues and settle in for a build thread, I Just need some help on this one. I've been working on old cars and can do the simple things with wiring, but when it comes to stand alone wiring, ecu's, I become rather dumb!:(

Well, I've been looking a little, I hate to say it, but I can buy an entire Pontiac Solstice for less than 10k, but I'd rather drive IT than pull the engine out of it. I've always have a desire for one of the awesome roadsters!

oh, back to brain storming! I was wondering also if the Solstice or Sky may have a non turbo/supercharger, just a plain jane model, I believe the non model would be strong enough for this little classic car. I'd like to gain the knowledge and get buying an engine/tranny soon to get back on track!
so please help me Obi one konobie! ;)

A little more about what I do in my retirement years: my blog
www.Classiccarsandtools.com

This is the old body/frame as it was in too bad a shape to use, so I bought another frame and another Tub. So I can use the old frame/body to mock up my engine/tranny before putting it in my reconditioned frame/body. Anyway, the rest of the pictures are self explanatory.

I'm Dne' and I need your help!;)

·
Premium Member
772 Posts
Welsome to the board and great job on those other vehicles of yours! There are those on here way more educated than me on these engines, but if it is the non-turbo'd enginer you are looking for, then that would be the Ecotec 2.4L in the Solstice/Sky N/A.

·
Registered
7,517 Posts
Yeah, as Roxer said, there's the base Pontiac Solstice and base Saturn Sky with the 2.4 "LE5" Ecotec engine, good for 173bhp.

Then there's the Pontiac Solstice GXP and Saturn Sky Redline models with the 2.0 turbo "LNF" Ecotec engine, good for 260bhp in base trim (or ~290-300bhp with an ECU tune).

Obviously the LE5 has less power, but is usually considered to be a bit more reliable than the turbo. Certainly it will be a lot easier to transfer into a different car without having to worry about intercooler placement and plumbing.

Lots of experienced people on here who would be glad to help. Welcome and keeps us informed on how it's going.

·
Premium Member
17,548 Posts
Welcome

There are two very good sources of information in our forum sponsors Performance Autowerks and DDM Works. Both have a vast store of knowledge working with the Ecotec platform and are willing to share it with us.

·
Registered
333 Posts
So being a TR6 and Solstice owner myself, with all the work and money being put into a new frame, why wouldn't you rebuild and use the TR6 engine? I think the TR6 engines are really excellent with a little modernization. If you want to replace the weak links in the car, Goodparts has a Nissan differential conversion that bolts right in. There are a couple companies that make a nice Toyota 5 speed gearbox conversion that will bolt up to the TR6 straight 6. That way you keep that TR6 signature sound and value, making the car good enough to be a daily driver.

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
You might want to PM forum member CTrench. He was putting a 2.4 in a Miata this summer. He might have some good info for you as to what all you might need to do a conversion like this.

Nice looking shop by the way. If I still had a shop like that to work on things I might not have sold my TR3 a couple of summers ago.

·
Premium Member
790 Posts
Not into Triumphs (but I like them!). My father restored a '61 TR3A from ground up. I am into MG's, have two. Might try contacting British Car Conversions (Killer B). Located in Kettering, Ohio, a few miles from where I live. He does V6 conversions for B's. His website also shows an MG Midget and a TR3 that was converted. Maybe you do not want to consider his use of motors but maybe he has some advice or parts that will work for your application.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
gee, I'm so pleased for all the nice informative responses! Since Kelly from Va is an owner of a TR, his question is why wouldn't I just overhaul/upgrade the existing engine? OK, though money isn't the big factor, but to overhaul my current stock TR engine is about 2500-5000k, the T5 transmission adapter kit alone is 1800.oo not including a T5 transmission. I wanted to fuel inject at 1800 for the fuel injection kit. I do have a Nissan R200 4.08:1 diff on my work bench. So, doing the math pretty quickly adds up to a significant amount, no?

I found this Solstice in a salvage yard not too far from home, but darn it all, couldn't get the hood open! I was told it was driven to its spot about 3 months ago, but I didn't commit to it until I found a little more information, not so much the engine swap, but the actual wiring/computer. The physical challenge of fitting it in the TR will be a challenge, but I'm up for it. I'd be mocking it in my old TR which still has a body/frame, and if I mess that up, that's OK.
2000.oo for the engine/trans and wiring and whatever else I'd want:
2006 PONTIAC solstice STD

Other stuff, I just need to measure from the engine to the stick shift to see if it will come close to the relationship to the driver will work. I don't want to have a stick shift behind me! lol So, if you guys think this could be a possibility, I'll be here for a while with you "helping" me, I Think it should be "fun", fun has new meaning these days!
Again, thanks!
dne'
[email protected] just in case one of you would like make personal comments.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi!;) I have a friend on the 6-pack.org site, he's giving me advice on kind of what I should do, first he suggested getting the entire car here so I can nit pic everything I'd need for the swap. I spoke to the man at the salvage yard and it's 2800 for the entire car and he'll come get the left overs after I'm done removing everything that I think I'd need.

So, he suggested me getting a service manual for that 06, so I'm shopping now for that, but I can't get the car until my husband comes home from a trip(5 days), but that won't stop me from going over to the salvage place, see about hearing the engine, jacking up the rear while running to hear the tranny go through the gearing. Then a check on the gear shifter distance to make sure it will capeesh with seating arrangment.

That's it for right now;)
dne'

·
Registered
228 Posts
Wow, I wonder if there is some kind of weird connection between TR6's and Solstices. I, too, owned a TR6. It was decades ago, but loved it, sheet metal frame, cheesy rear end u-joints and all! I loved going downtown at night in the summer just to hear the exhaust echoing off the tall buildings! I reminisce now in my modern, beautiful GXP!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hm, we were just in San Diego last week seeing as how you're in Southern Cal., very nice place to be in a Solstice, or TR, or whatever; it's just plain nice there!
I may yet talk Gary (hubby) into buying a nice pre-owned Solstice. He was looking at Miata's but I have little likes for those, The Solstice is awesome!;)

·
Registered
7,670 Posts
I've had a dozen TRs. Not sure they have any affinity for the Solstice, though.

Some people have stuck a Toyota turbo 6 into the TR-6 - makes an interesting car.

This is one of my past cars - 1954 TR-2

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Gee, that's a neat TR and you have quite stable! Well, since Gary's out of town, I have time to think about engines~ I'm a little nervous or quite nervous about the electrical/computer more than putting an engine and trans in, the mechanical though a challenge in itself will be "easier" for me. The forums I hope would prove valuable, but finding people to really share info is difficult, I get a little jealous when I see a few guys get together on a project when I do everything alone:( I can't even get a phone call from any of the guys regarding "things". So I just wind up really having to do my homework and fumble along the way, but usually with good outcome.

Bill, if the Solstice engine looks to be lacking affinity, what would you think would be a good candidate? I just don't want to go back with the stock engine; this is my last project just want to do something out of the ordinary.

If proceeding with the Solstice I have in mind, I'd have the entire car here to take what I need, and as one fella on the 6-pack said, be anal about wiring, taking pics, etc. I figure for 2800, even if the engine just plain didn't work, I could possibly recoop some of the money on CL. I just don't want to fail at this, or have TR with an engine I can't get running! lol Oh well, I'm going to ride my motorcycle a bit, always clears my mind and it's a decent day here in Houston.
dne'

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,607 Posts
Hi!;) I have a friend on the 6-pack.org site, he's giving me advice on kind of what I should do, first he suggested getting the entire car here so I can nit pic everything I'd need for the swap. I spoke to the man at the salvage yard and it's 2800 for the entire car and he'll come get the left overs after I'm done removing everything that I think I'd need.

So, he suggested me getting a service manual for that 06, so I'm shopping now for that, but I can't get the car until my husband comes home from a trip(5 days), but that won't stop me from going over to the salvage place, see about hearing the engine, jacking up the rear while running to hear the tranny go through the gearing. Then a check on the gear shifter distance to make sure it will capeesh with seating arrangment.

That's it for right now;)
dne'
Read this thread, look at a few of the files and you can make your own judgement if you want to download or not:

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f11/kappa-platform-service-manual-free-everyone-64425/

YMMV

·
Registered
7,670 Posts
I think the Ecotec makes a great choice and there is one out there already done,so you wouldn't be pioneering. Google it and find the TR6 and TR4 that have done that conversion.

Suggest that you stick with the NA version as it has plenty of power for that car.

I have done a V6 conversion on an MGA chassis (rebodied) and that is another (although older tech) possibility.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Oh, that's awesome! yes, I'm definitely going with the NA version, the fella on the 6-pack went with the supercharged model, and he had a sort of problems. NA will be just fine! Well, I hope you hang around my build if I really go through with this!;)
dne'

I think the Ecotec makes a great choice and there is one out there already done,so you wouldn't be pioneering. Google it and find the TR6 and TR4 that have done that conversion.

Suggest that you stick with the NA version as it has plenty of power for that car.

I have done a V6 conversion on an MGA chassis (rebodied) and that is another (although older tech) possibility.

·
Registered
7,670 Posts
You will also need to do some chassis mods.

The Triumph IRS uses woefully under specified rear springs, so you need to replace them, and you'll want a heavier front sway bar. The diff should take the c. 170 ft lbs torque quite well in stock form.

I strongly suggest that you look at the chassis strengthening kits from Revington.

TR6 CHASSIS STRENTHENING KITS

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
pinion flange on R200 diff

Thank you Bill! I'll look into that right away!
In the meantime, I've been cleaning my Nissan R200 differential. I ordered seals for it yesterday and they should be here today, however, I didn't read about the pinion flange having to be machined to fit the TR driveshaft (doah). But I may not more than likely not be using a TR drive shaft anyway. I will not torque the pinion flange down yet until the major decision has been made. I hope the machine shop can machine this yoke to the Solstice drive shaft. Ok, going to go ride my motorcycle~ nice weather here in Houston for a change!;)

As for springs, I upgraded to Tony Ratco heavier duty springs and coil over shocks coversion;)

You will also need to do some chassis mods.

The Triumph IRS uses woefully under specified rear springs, so you need to replace them, and you'll want a heavier front sway bar. The diff should take the c. 170 ft lbs torque quite well in stock form.

I strongly suggest that you look at the chassis strengthening kits from Revington.

TR6 CHASSIS STRENTHENING KITS

1 - 20 of 27 Posts