Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everyone keeps talkin about how the ecotech was designed to take a beating, but what kind of "beatings" did gm put it through on their dragster? is there a site with all the specs? how much aftermarket boost can it take before the rods go sky diving? can anyone help fill me in?

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
GM has done various speed record runs and testing at the Bonneville Salt Flats with their high powered ecotecs too. Its probably part of that GM material Brentil linked to.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Fformula88 said:
GM has done various speed record runs and testing at the Bonneville Salt Flats with their high powered ecotecs too. Its probably part of that GM material Brentil linked to.
Here's a nice quote to show the power of the über Cobalt SS.

Driver Nelson Hoyos piloted a race-prepared Cobalt SS at the Bonneville Salt Flats on Aug. 19, 2004, establishing a new mark in the G/Blown Fuel Altered class at 243.127 mph. The Cobalt SS, which is based on Chevy's new factory-built front-wheel-drive Super Sport, eclipsed the 212.684 mph mark established last year by GM engineer Jim Minneker in a Saturn ION Red Line quad coupe.

·
Registered
753 Posts
if my memory serves me (not likely) they tested the stock ecotec motor under boost and found the stock rods failed as it approached 300hp, wich may account for the forged rods in the supercharged ion red line and cobalt SS... i think they reduced the stroke a bit too in the boosted motors.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
cdb said:
if my memory serves me (not likely) they tested the stock ecotec motor under boost and found the stock rods failed as it approached 300hp, wich may account for the forged rods in the supercharged ion red line and cobalt SS... i think they reduced the stroke a bit too in the boosted motors.
300 HP before doing any internal work is still pretty good for the base motor. Plus, it looks like the 2.4L motor destined for the Solstice has a lot of the blown motors upgrades already in it, so it may be able to handle well over 300 before major internal work is needed.

·
Registered
172 Posts
This is an article about the initial development of the racing Ecotec and the stress testing they did to a "stock" Ecotec. Keep in mind for a given HP level nitrous and FI put different levels of stress on internal parts.

link to article

1 - 9 of 9 Posts