Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starting to get a little excited like a young kid at Christmas time! Heading up to Decatur, Indiana on Wednesday morn. About a hour and a half to two hours drive time. Sent Peter my down payment and the balance due when I see the top and am satisfied. The box is too big to fit in my shortbed Dodge but measured the Solstice and the top will fit in the bed if I take it out of the box. Once I get it home, I am probably going to go ahead and mount it even though it needs to be painted black to match the car. Don't really have the cash to get it painted right away so will probably take the Solstice up to where I have my MGB stored and trade places...I need to bring the MG home to upgrade the carbs. I will be taking pictures and posting as things progress. The pictures today are of the top that I am going to be picking up.

Since I stated I have no money for paint at the present time and if you want to see the finished product early, then I will be more than glad to accept monetary donations to the painting project!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
258 Posts
There needs to be pics of this on the car. I would love to see how it looks. Keep us posted.

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
These are pictures from EDAG's original sales information.
I don't think those pics do it justice. Red is ugly with that top and the angles they shot the pics at are too low. No one would actually see the car from this angle. If you are standing higher up, like at normal eye level, it looks much better. See below:

·
Registered
258 Posts
Oh nevermind, not my cup of tea. Good luck with it though.

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I agree, for some reason, the pictures of the red Solstice with the EDAG hardtop are not very impressive! In the original posting for the group purchase of these hardtops, someone had included this picture of a black Solstice w/hardtop. I think it really looks great! I have been a two seater sports car lover for many, many years (MG's). Not too fond of hardtops or coupes but this top is kind of rare and I think it will draw a lot of attention. Plan on taking the car to local cruise-ins this coming summer. Looks like it will be kind of a pain in the rear to mount and dismount but certainly want to give it a try.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,526 Posts
My guess is that you both prefer the monochrome look of the "black" glass against the black paint. I agree that the black is more dramatic, but I like the red also. Some day I'll have pictures of one (on a Sky) in dark blue.

Low-angle car pictures are normally used to make the car look "hunkered-down" and more muscular. It is common for the automotive press to photograph cars that way, for that reason. I happen to like the pictures, but posted them because they were the only ones I had.

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Now here is a picture I found of a red one that does look fantastic! It has to be in the photography. Not too fond of the wheels, tho...

Attachments

·
Registered
5,430 Posts
There are views of it that I find attractive, others not so. As most would agree - if it feels good do it!

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am leaving for Indiana in a few hours! A little rain predicted. When I get the top home, will be leaving it in the truck for a bit as they are calling for some pretty decent top down weather this weekend. I will post pictures of todays events later on this evening...

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Made it to Decatur and back with a "new" EDAG Solstice hardtop! Peter is a very nice man to work with. He and his helper, Mike, opened up the box and removed the top for visual inspection. A few scratches here and there, the bottom section still needs primer and paint. Peter then went over the parts that came with the top and explained what they were and how to use them. Peter and Mike loaded the top into the truck for me, padded it with my blankets and found a good spot for the parts. I had brought along a couple of box cutters to cut down the box to take home for the trash but Mike said leave it as he would be more than glad to take care of its removal. Gave Peter the balance due, shook hands and off we went for the drive home. Weather is supposed to be sort of nice the next few days so may not start tearing down car. If it does get very windy like they say it may, I will probably go ahead and start the mounting process. Once the top is on the car, I will take it to a couple of body shops for paint estimate or to a friend of mine who does paint work for me.

Pictures: The first one is of the tops that are sold. He has a bunch more unsold and in storage. Those are more kit version than assembled tops. The next two are of my top sitting out for my inspections. Last picture is the upside down top in my shortbed pickup all bundled up...it's gonna be cold in my garage tonight!

More pictures coming as the job progresses...

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,526 Posts
Glad it worked out for you. It sounds like you are happy with the purchase.

Just a note about the "kit version" tops: They are (or at least were) incomplete. Unless Peter has found some of the missing components, those "kits" will be really hard to finish.

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
That's exciting! I would love to be able to do this mod. But I already got my S/C, so a top will have to wait a bit. :D

·
Super Moderator
7,526 Posts
jeffgtx : .... John. Is your deal officially dead?
Essentially, yes. At least for now. The "kit version" tops that riggs314 referred to are the parts that were involved in that deal. The finished tops that riggs314 and others have bought were not part of that deal.

The top that I originally bought from Peter is a "kit". The top is unpainted and the glass and headliner have not been installed, but the hatch hinges and strut mounts have been epoxied into it, and all of the weather seals are either installed or were included loose. Peter's verbal description of what I was buying led me to believe that there were twenty of those "kits", twenty additional tops that were missing the installation hardware, plus extra glass and other assorted "stuff".

The inventory that I eventually got from him showed that there were forty fiberglass shells but only enough hardware to complete two tops. None of them had the hatch hardware epoxied in place. I did some research and could find sources for some of the missing parts. As far as I could find, the hinges are custom made for the top, and I could not find a source for the weather seal around the door windows. Peter told me that he had friends who could supply hinges and some other parts, and that he was talking to EDAG about sources for other parts, including the weather seal material. I have not yet heard back from him.

I added up the cost of the missing parts I could find, and estimated costs for those I could not. Based on the total cost to finish the tops and the $500 price we had established for the complete "kit" I made a counter offer to Peter for what he had, contingent on him identifying a source for the weather seal. He replied that my offer was "unattractive". I left it with him that if he could find parts that would bring our offers closer together I was still interested in the deal.

If Peter finds the missing parts, or if he can identify sources for them, and if we can agree on a value, the deal may come back to life. If anyone else can make a deal with him I would be interested in being involved assuming the conditions are right. I am not, however, confident that either will happen.

Sorry for the lengthy explanation and thread hijack. I would like to add that I am glad that at least some people were able to get what they wanted out of this. I wish that we all could have, but life doesn't always work that way. I am also really glad that while there was considerable disappointment, no money was lost by anyone.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts