Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nothing better to do today so thought I would go ahead and reinstall the EDAG in preparation for the trip to Lexington in June. That is if the doc says I can go. Took most of the day to do what I did because of the back and leg pain. I decided to remove the soft top also as this gives me more room to store away the 4 piece luggage set I purchased from DDMWORKS. Had to take quite a few breaks to sit and allow the pain to dissipate.

Here we go: First I had to remove the trunk lid. Towels under the edge to keep lid from scratching paint. Pull the rubber accordion hose out and disconnect the latch cable. Momma holding the lid up while I remove four bolts. We both grab hold and move the lid to the old Navy blanket on the floor, trying not to trip an the cable hanging down.

Using a big screwdriver, I push down on the torsion bar ends in order to remove the retainer bracket. Can be a bit tricky if the screwdriver slips!

Once off, push the trunk lid hinges down and install threaded clips over holes.

Place the special EDAG rear mount over the hinges and install four bolts. Also had to loosen two factory nuts for the end of the mount to slip under.

Good time to loosely install the side retainer clips. First have to remove the stock adjusting bracket assembly.

Now it is time to attack the soft top. Photo shows four retainer nuts removed. The strap to the left also has a retainer nut that has to come off...I forgot to do that when taking this picture. The bar with the two socket head screws has to be loosened in order to remove the bottom edge of the top from around the latch mechanism. In between the bar and the top material, you can see a hole where a nut had to be removed because that is the bottom retaining bar for the top.

Another bar has to be removed ( the one with the white sticker on it ). One bolt on the drivers side and two on the passenger side.

Grand son helped me remove top and laid it on the floor. Will eventually store it in the back of my truck for awhile. It has a Bed Rug liner so it is soft and should not damage top.

Getting closer to finish of trunk prep. Last thing to do is install the back panel. EDAG supplies this as a black plastic piece. I had some left over headliner material from a job did on my MGB hardtop so glued it on this panel. Matches trunk liner fairly well.

Tomorrow, I have to go to hardware store and purchase two plugs for the top drain holes. Had some but must have lost them.

At this time, I quit for the day as the back and legs are hurting and I notice my right ankle is starting to swell up. Time to go in the house and rest with my legs up and maybe some ice...

Part 2...EDAG top install tomorrow.

Attachments

·
Registered
416 Posts
does any body have a parts list for these tops? like what attachment parts for the center wind shield mechanism/latch?what rear window latch? are there any written instructions for this top that would make it a tad eazyer than back and forth figuring it out?what struts? is there any of the parts available? I wanted a coupe style top but this is what I can afford....( what the wife can afford me to have ) thanks for any info!!

·
Registered
180 Posts
This install doesn't look much different than the installation of one of Norm’s hardtops.
did you fabricate that panel covering up the mechanics under the tulip panel...may I ask what material you used for the board and carpet type/colour?

thanks

·
Super Moderator
6,274 Posts
does any body have a parts list for these tops? like what attachment parts for the center wind shield mechanism/latch?what rear window latch? are there any written instructions for this top that would make it a tad eazyer than back and forth figuring it out?what struts? is there any of the parts available? I wanted a coupe style top but this is what I can afford....( what the wife can afford me to have ) thanks for any info!!
The last time I checked, the major parts for these were still available, but even that was over a year ago.
At that time the guy that had them was talking about getting window seals made, because that was an un-obtainable part. I don't know if that ever happened.
I have never seen a list of the small parts, but most are pretty easy to figure out if you have one. I have meant to go through mine to identify all of them, but haven't yet.
I have, if it hasn't gotten lost, a set of installation instructions. If you get serious about this I will send you the instructions and a parts list.

This install doesn't look much different than the installation of one of Norm’s hardtops.
did you fabricate that panel covering up the mechanics under the tulip panel...may I ask what material you used for the board and carpet type/colour?

thanks
The installation of the top is very nearly the same as Norm's, from what I have seen. There really aren't that many options when you think about it.
The tops came from EDAG with the trim panel. It was cut from a sheet of haircell ABS.

·
Registered
416 Posts
yes I have one,I just have the top and the windows, the hatch is supposed to be coming from norm. a parts list and instructions would be nice to have handy. I have a spare top assy if I need to use any thing from it. thanks!

·
Super Moderator
6,274 Posts
yes I have one,I just have the top and the windows, the hatch is supposed to be coming from norm. a parts list and instructions would be nice to have handy. I have a spare top assy if I need to use any thing from it. thanks!
The hatch is glass, except for the visor across the top. What are you are getting from Norm?

I'll sort through what I have and post something, probably not until this weekend, though.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I dont have a clue whats comming from norm.the guy on flebay he said the rear hatch peice was comming from norms. I dont know what else is.I tryied to ask about the window seal he has for $125 and didnt really get a good responce,I read the sides were glued in...so I asume the rear and a tube of window sealent/addhivsive for $125, so i pased on seal kit. and since he forgot to send the rear window he will now send it.(he said he has been ill and somebody else has been shiping the stuff,they missed the rear window) I totaly understand being ill and dealing with dr&horspistails....they effed me up for life. thus the wife works and I try to do what i can...when I can. my solstice was paid for by selling off all my racecar engines,parts,new unfinished professional built all tube chassie racecar that I could nolonger finish...I lost my ass on everything. about 20 cents on the $..if Im luckey I dont really want to know what i really lost. but at leasy i nolonger have to look at it all in the shop and have a nice shiney fun little underpowered car to drive daily( I also sold off my other daily driver hotrod bug about 150 hp stroker motor in it, oh so much fun it was and maintnance free too!!! well other than oil&filter's) thanks for trying to find that info I need !!! no real big hurry I aint that fast any more.

·
Super Moderator
6,274 Posts
I dont have a clue whats comming from norm.the guy on flebay he said the rear hatch peice was comming from norms. I dont know what else is.I tryied to ask about the window seal he has for $125 and didnt really get a good responce,I read the sides were glued in...so I asume the rear and a tube of window sealent/addhivsive for $125, so i pased on seal kit. and since he forgot to send the rear window he will now send it...........
The seal kit is for the door windows. I have been told that you can use the seals from a convertible top, but cannot personally confirm that. If your spare top is in decent shape I do not think that I would trash it for $125. The rear quarter windows are glued in. The rear window is the hatch, and it has a fiberglass "visor" or trim piece at the top, so that must be what Norm is sending.

Did he say how many of these he has left?

·
Registered
6,944 Posts

I bought a used Edag top several years ago, not realizing you needed the hardware kit too. Revenge Design was nice enough to sell me an installation kit, but I'm not sure if it included an installation instructions. It's buried somewhere in my garage. In the first pic it looks to show the instruction manual. I'm not sure if Riggs is still active on the forum or not but he mights have the installation book to share? The hardware pics above are from another forum member who had one for awhile, and then sold it.

·
Registered
416 Posts
so it's door windows, not side windows.. communication is a wonderful thing. I wonder where the kits went? last I saw he had 6 tops left. thanks for the pics!!

·
Super Moderator
6,274 Posts
There were always more shells and windows than any other part. When I picked mine up from Peter Collorafi he gave me several extra window sets because he had so many extras. I think I also got one of the last of the molded headliners. At that time there were almost 30 shells left over.

Here is the installation manual.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Didn't realize this was active again till tonight! I just installed the top on the car again and discovered that somewhere along the line, I scratched the "P" out of the top surface near the back hatch. Must have been done while moving the top in the storage locker. Will be going for paint and stripe quotes soon, I guess.

When I was up to Norms for the hood install, he had a new unpainted EDAG hanging on the wall. I believe he said he was going to make a few missing parts for the remaining kits.

I would love to find two side windows, a rear hatch glass and door window seals just to have them around, in case.

As stated prior, the panel attached to the Tulip Panel to hide the mechanisms is supplied in the top kit. About 1/8" or so plastic. I covered mine in headliner material left over from a job I did on an MGB hardtop. Material came from Smoothline Hardtops.

With the convertible top removed, the panel is too short. Looks like crap! I plan on making a new panel that extends to the floor of the "trunk". 1/8" or 3/16" wood paneling of some sort.

The side windows are glued in. When new, I had a father and son Auto Glass Repair outfit come to my house and remove the glass for painting purposes. Came back a couple weeks later to install the glass.

Any help I can give, please ask...

·
Super Moderator
6,274 Posts
........I would love to find two side windows, a rear hatch glass and door window seals just to have them around, in case.
Try contacting the guy selling them on eBay. When Peter still had all of the parts there were probably two sets of glass for each top.

He also had the window seals made.

·
Premium Member
3,587 Posts
For what it's worth I was interested in purchasing one of these from the guy on Ebay I contacted him ,have to go through my notes it was a few years ago , these were just shells left over and he purchased all of them at a liquidation sale.My main concern was the back glass ,hardware and seals which did not come with the shells he was selling . He supposedly was going to come up the a hardware kit,seals and backglass for an extra cost as of today Dec.11 2019 I have never heard back from him .

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I contacted him about the glass, seal kit. All I got back was info on bidding for the top.

·
Registered
416 Posts
yesterday the back glass came in so i have all the glass now. no mounting holes in the glass for hinges, and I dont have hinges ,do the hinges mount to the rear hatch panel Norm is supposed to be sending? what type of latch is used?Id better down lad the instructions and have a look at them,(Ive been down for 4 days with a good cold, hard to even think) thanks for the instructions!!!!they should help immensely

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I had better pictures and a drawing I made with dimensions to make the hinges. Can't find them at present. Had them made up for another person who had to fabricate hinges himself. Here is what I do have...

If needed, I can try to get accurate dimensions, etc. in a day or so.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts