Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"Solstice! windshield!" said I, "thing of evil! - solstice windshield still, if car or devil! -
Whether solstice windshield sent, or whether solstice windshield tossed thee here ashore,Desolate yet all undaunted, on this desert land enchanted -
On this home by horror haunted- tell me truly, I implore -
- tell me - tell me, I implore!"
Quoth the windshield, "Pops some more."
:devil:

Someone help! Windshield popping :brentil:

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It pops when braking,and pops when driving curvy roads.Its my second windshield,and the first one did it too.
I suspect somethings flexing somewhere?
I thought of the poem,thinking how insane ive gone chasing bugs in this car.:lol:
Maybe a bigger backbone?

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Did you buy it used? Has it been in an accident? Sounds like a bent winshield frame.

On the other hand, you mention rattles. Mine rattled a lot at the winsheild until I tracked it down. The front cowling under the windshield wipers was not securely pressed to the windshield. I loosened the bolts, pulled it forward applied a small amount of clear silicone between it and the glass, then pulled it up tight to the glass. Rattle gone.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Are you absolutely sure it is coming from the window frame?

The hood latches are right in front of the window frame. And if the hood latch assembly is not adjusted correctly it may make a variety of annoying sounds. If the synthetic stop is not turned out enough to take up the slack when the hood is down, the latch assembly will make unholy sounds. :lol: And if you can not take the slack out that way, then you have to adjust the latch itself to take up the slack.

The odds of there being something wrong with the window surround that was not rectified with a new window are pretty low.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I did buy it used.It was ordered by a Pontiac salesman,who owned it since new.
I never car faxed it,but it was pretty much mint when I got it.
Its a loud single pop,and I only get it under hard braking,or if Im driving it in the mtns.Its always entering a turn,get on the brakes,and POP!:(
I will look at the adjustments on the hood,I havent looked there.Thanks for your replies :thumbs:
Gonna finish watching the Falcons choke,then head up 129 for a quick loop

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Then I have another possible solution:

On the door, open it up. Inspect the top hinge. Look at the hinge mount on the car, where the stamped steel bracket is bolted to the car. Where the bracket extends away from the car it penetrates through a notch in the painted sheet metal piece in the car side of the door jamb. The top of the bracket barely touches that sheet metal. It will make a popping sound exactly as you describe. (and given the location, it could certainly sound like it is in the window frame) On my car, when I discovered the problem: All I had to do was loosen the mount bolts to the car and slightly tap down on the bracket, being careful not to change the alignment angle or front to rear position of the bracket; because that would change the alignment of the door. And I coated the bracket with WD-40, where it comes in contact with the sheet metal and tightened the mount bolts back up.

If this is the source of your noise, you make the corrections that I have suggested; and the noise comes back: Then you may end up having to re-leave the clearance on the sheet metal to eliminate completely.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Gs stage 1!
I will look at that Tue. I did look at the hood brackets,and backed out some on the rubber stops,but didnt touch anything else.
Roads were wet up here,so didnt get to speeds that cause the pop.It did pop
twice on 180.Sounds like the door could be a good spot.The sound is hard to pinpoint.Ive got some onboard video,but the audio doesnt pick it up.Thanks again for your help

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
The only other thing I can think of that makes a metallic pop sound is the door striker. But the location will sound like it is coming from next to the seat, typically. Possible that with the top up, the sound is bouncing around and making you think it is coming from the window.

So, just in case this is the problem: Check the striker plate in the door jamb where the door latches when closed. The metal pin that the door latches to may be loose. You can take a center punch and ping the plate around the pin to take up the slack. I pinged mine a couple times around both door pins and problem solved.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Sorry to hear about the issues you're having with your Solstice. Keep us updated on the status. If you're unable to resolve the issues and you decide to have it looked at by a dealership, please let us. If you send a PM, please include your name, situation, VIN#, contact information, current mileage, and the name of the dealership. I hope all is resolved quickly for you.

Matt,

GM Customer Assistance

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry to hear about the issues you're having with your Solstice. Keep us updated on the status. If you're unable to resolve the issues and you decide to have it looked at by a dealership, please let us. If you send a PM, please include your name, situation, VIN#, contact information, current mileage, and the name of the dealership. I hope all is resolved quickly for you.

Matt,

GM Customer Assistance

Thank you Matt,its definitely a windshieild noise.I just gotta find the contact point.
I appreciate all you guys feed back.I will spend more time looking this weekend.

·
Registered
612 Posts
It pops when braking,and pops when driving curvy roads.Its my second windshield,and the first one did it too.
I suspect somethings flexing somewhere?
I thought of the poem,thinking how insane ive gone chasing bugs in this car.:lol:
Maybe a bigger backbone?
I've had 4 in 5 years. Each cracked mid-way down the passenger side.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, for other reasons too! I installed DDM's extreme BB between #'s 2 and 3 and the windscreen still cracked in the same place each time.
Ive had this windshield since summer.I was gonna get the DDM extreme as an upgrade for mtn. driving.Hopefully I can fix the pops with it.Thanks for your reply :thumbs:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts