Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I went to the Edmunds.com site to compare the Solstice to the BMW Z4, Porsche Boxter and the Honda S2000. I didn't add the Miata to the comparison because I would never consider owning the car.

It was refreshing to learn that the Solstice has the wheel base of a Boxter, it's wider than any of the other three, it has the leg room of a Z4, and it's priced is beyond compare.

Here's the link:

http://www.edmunds.com/apps/nvc/edm...100510880&maxvehicles=5&refid=&op=3&tab=specs
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Questioning how good is Edmunds information?

1) Everyone on this forum knows (or at least should know) that the Solstice requires premium gas (although you can use a lower grade in an emergency)
2) How come information that is available for the 2006 Solstice, is still "being researched" for other brands 2005 models
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
299 Posts
JeffreyChurch said:
1) Everyone on this forum knows (or at least should know) that the Solstice requires premium gas (although you can use a lower grade in an emergency)
2) How come information that is available for the 2006 Solstice, is still "being researched" for other brands 2005 models
Actually, I believer Lori Q. mentioned at the Detroit RenCen that the car WILL in fact run perfectly OK on regular gas (87 Octane), and that you should NOT put too much concern in making sure you filled it with Premium all the time.

It also has been mentioned in several other places on the board that it should operate fine on regular gas.

So Regular gas is A-OK from what I understand.
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
4,592 Posts
I believe the manual calls for regular, unless I've missed some changes over the last months.
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
4,592 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,171 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
265 Posts
it was noted somewhere that there's a federal regulation that all cars accept regular unleaded gas without causing any damage to the engine or components. they may specify the car likes higher-quality gas, but it has to run on 87 octane.

i forgot what thread this came from, but just search around and you'll find it, or just google..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,011 Posts
Liam1694u said:
Actually, I believer Lori Q. mentioned at the Detroit RenCen that the car WILL in fact run perfectly OK on regular gas (87 Octane), and that you should NOT put too much concern in making sure you filled it with Premium all the time.

It also has been mentioned in several other places on the board that it should operate fine on regular gas.

So Regular gas is A-OK from what I understand.
You are correct, sir! I talked with Lori Queen about this issue last Friday. She said she puts in 87 octane in her car. It doesn't need premium. Premium is only needed if you want to take a stop watch and clock your 0-60. You might get a little faster on premium, but not much. She said it wasn't worth going to premium. She even asked someone else while I was there and he confirmed it. Regular unleaded is fine. Don't waste your money.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,171 Posts
Aardvark said:
There's only about 7% difference between the price of 87 and 91 in my area, but I plan to buy 87 when I get a Solstice (coupe!).
Over the course of a year, 7% adds up!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,509 Posts
If $10 to $20 a month extra in gas cost puts a hurt on you financially, maybe you shouldn't be looking to buy a new car. :rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
670 Posts
anybody, anybody?

I would like to know if anyone out there who uses their car to get to work actually drives 12,000 miles a year. My wife is closer to 30,000 a year and I do 25,000 with no long trips. The numbers they use for leases I believe are unrealistic in today's world. :cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
LBJay said:
If $10 to $20 a month extra in gas cost puts a hurt on you financially, maybe you shouldn't be looking to buy a new car. :rolleyes:
Well, I guess for most of us 87 types, it's not really the $200/yr but rather the principle of the thing. I was raised not to waste money. It's highly unlikely that there will be any performance difference between the two grades, so I consider the $200 a waste. Besides, for three years, I've been teasing a gal I know for putting 91 in her Audi. I'd be a hypocrite if I started doing the same thing. :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,060 Posts
RODEO said:
Oh, well, I'm loosing my mind keeping track of fact/fiction on the Sol!
That doesn't surprise me, you can't even keep track of what color is what! ;)

JeffreyChurch said:
How come information that is available for the 2006 Solstice, is still "being researched" for other brands 2005 models
Good point. And what's more I thought we had established a while back that the max cargo load was 353lbs, but now this thing can magically tow 1000lbs?! What gives there?

brian carpenter said:
I would like to know if anyone out there who uses their car to get to work actually drives 12,000 miles a year. My wife is closer to 30,000 a year and I do 25,000 with no long trips. The numbers they use for leases I believe are unrealistic in today's world. :cool:
In the 18 months I've owned my current car I have only put about 10k on it. :yesnod:
Then again I guess it helps living 5 miles from work. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,293 Posts
brian carpenter said:
I would like to know if anyone out there who uses their car to get to work actually drives 12,000 miles a year. My wife is closer to 30,000 a year and I do 25,000 with no long trips. The numbers they use for leases I believe are unrealistic in today's world. :cool:
My daily one-way commute to work is 30 miles. I've had my current car since December 1, 2001. It had 42,000 miles on it when I bought it; it currently has 119,000+ as of today! So I'm easily averaging 20,000 a year.
 
1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Top