Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 276 Posts

·
4,592 Posts
I'm not impressed by either cars power performance numbers.........

Edmunds -
"It also gave the less powerful and lighter Miata bragging rights at the drag strip, where it sprinted from zero to 60 mph in 7.5 seconds and through the quarter-mile in 15.5 seconds at 89 mph. Both performances are better than the Solstice can manage."

This should be an ugly thread...........

Edmunds -
"Well, the 2006 Pontiac Solstice put up a good fight, but you can add it to the list of the Miata's fallen foes."

·
4,592 Posts
Be sure to read all 4 pages, they put a "conclusion" on page 2 which sends the message that's the last page.

I think the review itself is good, covers the cars well. The perspective of the writer causes some problem, biased to his definition of a sports car, but they recognize that on page 4.

Simply put, these are 2 different forms of sport car definitions.

·
Registered
608 Posts
SCISOLSTICE said:
It sounds like a pay off. Shame on you Edmonds.......
That's the problem with getting all exited when a review validates your purchase. Eventually, a review will come along with a differing opinion. Did you honestly think everyone would like the Solstice better? Heck, not everyone wants a Ferrrari, much less a lowely MX-5 or Solstice.

The only test drive that matters is your own.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
If I cared only about 0-60 or 1/4 mile times I would buy something with a big f--¬タ�ing motor in it. This guy would know what a sports car what even if it drove over his foot. I recall a review of a Lotus Elan in a British motor journal in the sixties. Their simple conclusion was if you wanted to drive 64 miles of winding country road in an hour without exceeding 65mph. The Elan was the car for you. Now that's the definition of a sportd car.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
SCISOLSTICE said:
It sounds like a pay off. Shame on you Edmonds.......
:agree: I have to agree. :yesnod:

This article is far from objective and is so over exagerated it's pathetic. :lol:

Like for example, this line, "the Miata...is...10 BILLION times more fun to drive." ;) What the hell? That's one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. A Ferrari Enzo is not 10 BILLION times more fun to drive than a Corvette. A motorcycle is not 10 BILLION times more fun that a pedal bike. :willy:

If this article was reversed and it was so rediculously pro Solstice I would be slamming it just as hard. Trust me, I would.

This article itself is rubbish and it's not even worth writing about, so I'm done. :leaving:

·
Registered
608 Posts
Fortyninenorth said:
If I cared only about 0-60 or 1/4 mile times I would buy something with a big f--�ing motor in it. This guy would know what a sports car what even if it drove over his foot.
Did you read the article? 0-60 had very little to do with it.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
toddwcarpenter said:
That's the problem with getting all exited when a review validates your purchase. Eventually, a review will come along with a differing opinion. Did you honestly think everyone would like the Solstice better? Heck, not everyone wants a Ferrrari, much less a lowely MX-5 or Solstice.

The only test dive that matters is your own.
:agree: And this article is so lop sided it's hard to believe. You'd ALMOST think they were comparing a 2006 Ferrari to a 1979 Chevette.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Bonzo said:
This article is far from objective and is so over exagerated it's pathetic.
I made a similar comment on Miata.net before visiting here. The guy is very biased toward the MX-5. But it doesn't take a "payoff" for that to happen. It's just one guys opinion, no more or less valid than the guy who wrote the Autoweek story, or R&T...

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Bonzo said:
:agree: And this article is so lop sided it's hard to believe. You'd ALMOST think they were comparing a 2006 Ferrari to a 1979 Chevette.
taking another shot at me Bonzo?
Oh I saw one of your movies one time , I think it was titled "Bedtime for Bonzo" Isn't it your bedtime LOL :lol:

·
Registered
905 Posts
For me the Solstice is all about the looks, that's something that's gotta come from the factory. I'm glad it's got pretty decent performance from the get go, it'll make it easier on the bank account for when the aftermarket picks up :)

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Classic66vair said:
taking another shot at me Bonzo?
Oh I saw one of your movies one time , I think it was titled "Bedtime for Bonzo" Isn't it your bedtime LOL :lol:
Naw...... well sort of......Okay maybe. :lol: But all in good fun, no shots. I was merely trying to exagerate about as far as I could, just like I think the article was doing. :yesnod:

Hypothetically, instead of a Chevette, what might you have used as a Ferrari opposite? I could always use another whipping post. :lol:

But I'll bet what ever car you say, there will be someone out there who backs it.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
It sounded to me like they were trying to play up the MX-5 and Downplay the Solstice saying things like the MX-5 handled so much betterm then in the Solstice part it was kind of just mentioned this "It also turned the same slalom speed as the Miata, an impressive 64 mph, and matched the Mazda's lap time around the racetrack."
and it says this bragging on the acelleration of the MX-5 "It also gave the less powerful and lighter Miata bragging rights at the drag strip, where it sprinted from zero to 60 mph in 7.5 seconds and through the quarter-mile in 15.5 seconds at 89 mph. Both performances are better than the Solstice can manage."
then on the Solstice "Second, it performs well, running zero to 60 mph in 7.7 seconds and the quarter-mile in 15.8 seconds at 87 mph. The Miata, which is smaller, lighter and geared shorter, is only slightly quicker. It hits 60 mph in 7.5 seconds and sprints the quarter in 15.5 seconds at 89 mph." they couldn help pointing out the mazda's time again like it was some great accomplishment to beat the solstice so closely.
sounds like in real handling speed they are equal.... the real test will be in drivers then....
Sometime you have to read between the lines to get the real story...

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Classic66vair said:
It sounded to me like they were trying to play up the MX-5 and Downplay the Solstice saying things like the MX-5 handled so much betterm then in the Solstice part it was kind of just mentioned this "It also turned the same slalom speed as the Miata, an impressive 64 mph, and matched the Mazda's lap time around the racetrack."
and then it says this bragging on the acelleration of the MX-5 "It also gave the less powerful and lighter Miata bragging rights at the drag strip, where it sprinted from zero to 60 mph in 7.5 seconds and through the quarter-mile in 15.5 seconds at 89 mph. Both performances are better than the Solstice can manage."
then on the Solstice "Second, it performs well, running zero to 60 mph in 7.7 seconds and the quarter-mile in 15.8 seconds at 87 mph. The Miata, which is smaller, lighter and geared shorter, is only slightly quicker. It hits 60 mph in 7.5 seconds and sprints the quarter in 15.5 seconds at 89 mph." they couldn help pointing out the mazda's time again like it was some great accomplishment to beat the solstice so closely.
sounds like in real handling speed they are equal.... the real test will be in drivers then....
Sometime you have to read between the lines to get the real story...
:agree: :agree: :agree:

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Bonzo said:
Naw...... well sort of......Okay maybe. :lol: But all in good fun, no shots. I was merely trying to exagerate about as far as I could, just like I think the article was doing. :yesnod:

Hypothetically, instead of a Chevette, what might you have used as a Ferrari opposite? I could always use another whipping post. :lol:

But I'll bet what ever car you say, there will be someone out there who backs it.
how about a Fiero... :lol:
(I have owned 2 of them)

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Classic66vair said:
how about a Fiero... :lol:
(I have owned 2 of them)
OH MAN!!! You DO live dangerously!!! :yesnod: :lol:

After the Sky, the Fiero is one of the most heatedly discussed cars on this forum. On top of that it's a GM, and on top of that, it's a Pontiac. OH MY! :lol:

You were supposed to say a Yugo or something. :yesnod:

But we all know a Yugo is better than a Chevette.....

KIDDING!! :lol:

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
I rarely read reviews, because they are just one persons opinion (usually a journalist that was lucky enough to get the gig), and for or against, they don't really mean anything to me, cause I don't care what they think about it unless they're making payments for me (and I still wouldn't care much). If they were all saying the solstice stinks, wouldn't matter. If they all said the Sol was the greatest car ever made, wouldn't matter. I want it because I like it, I think it's beautiful, and I don't care what ANYONE else thinks about it.
I only turn to the magazines to look at the pics, I rarely read the articles.
So there. ;)

·
Registered
608 Posts
Classic66vair said:
It sounded to me like they were trying to play up the MX-5 and Downplay the Solstice
Yet, in other reviews, The Solstice was picked in spite of having worse numbers and nobody here seemed to care one bit.

1 - 20 of 276 Posts