Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

261 - 276 of 276 Posts

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
toddwcarpenter said:
I have an excuse for not driving a Solstice yet (there are none available to drive). Nobody really has an excuse for not trying the MX-5, they are readily available. Go drive an MX-5, try to get it to spin, then report back. Like I said before, people are already racing MX-5's on the track, snap oversteer is not an issue for them.
I don't know where you test drive new cars, but around here the salesperson goes with you and you cannot take a car any where near it's limits, especially a brand new car that has not been broken in.. so it is very hard to determing how a car will handle on just a test drive..
Well they have had ride and drives all over the country, along with the GM road shows where they let people test out the new cars, I have seen many posts on here telling of these drives by others... If you really wanted to drive one you have had chances...
Do you really think that the ones racing on tracks are purely stock? Stock suspension setups, stock tires etc?

·
Registered
705 Posts
toddwcarpenter said:
Nobody really has an excuse for not trying the MX-5, they are readily available.
My excuse is I just don't like the looks so I don't want to drive one. Truth is I liked the previous rendition of the Miata a lot, but not the last. A Scion Xb could be the fastest best handling car on the planet for $5 and I still wouldn't buy one.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Classic66vair said:
Do you really think that the ones racing on tracks are purely stock? Stock suspension setups, stock tires etc?
Yes! Mazda has the same ride and drive type events. They set up AutoX style road coarse (cones and all) and let people RACE for the fastest time of the day.

I test drove an NC about a week befor I joined here. I drove it at the limit. I told the salesman what I had planned, and he just smiled and said "Let's Go". I expected to buy the car that day, but was suprised at how soft the suspension was. That's when I decided I needed to try the soltice before making a purchase. There have been no Solstice events in Denver that I have been informed about since then. The two salemen I spoke with seemed clueless about the car.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
toddwcarpenter said:
No, not everyone agrees. I know the MX-5 doesn't just oversteer, I've driven it. I doubt the solstice just understeers, because that woul defy the laws of physics. Both cars wil exhibit under-balance-oversteer at different times. It's not just one or the other.
I was not saying that you could not have either one under different driving conditions, the major handling theme for each car from all the reviews on these I have read are just what I say, the Solstice tends to understeer and the MX-5 tends to oversteer...

·
Registered
608 Posts
Pterosaur said:
My excuse is I just don't like the looks so I don't want to drive one.
Fair enough, but you wouldn't then assume it drives one way or another based off it's looks would you? That's what I'm saying, drive one before you critecize how it drives. Seems obvious.

You'll notice I don't say much good or bad about the Solstice itself. It's because I haven't driven one.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
toddwcarpenter said:
Yes! Mazda has the same ride and drive type events. They set up AutoX style road coarse (cones and all) and let people RACE for the fastest time of the day.

I test drove an NC about a week befor I joined here. I drove it at the limit. I told the salesman what I had planned, and he just smiled and said "Let's Go". I expected to buy the car that day, but was suprised at how soft the suspension was. That's when I decided I needed to try the soltice before making a purchase. There have been no Solstice events in Denver that I have been informed about since then. The two salemen I spoke with seemed clueless about the car.
well I sure wouldn't want a brand new car someone abused on a test drive before it was broken in.... and I think you wouldn't either.
Maybe you could look up one of them and drive your Miata there... I think there was a website listed on one of the threads that had a schedule of the ride and drives...

·
Registered
608 Posts
Classic66vair said:
I was not saying that you could not have either one under different driving conditions, the major handling theme for each car from all the reviews on these I have read are just what I say, the Solstice tends to understeer and the MX-5 tends to oversteer...
You know, a Ford Astrovan tends to understeer. Do you think that alone will make it more "secure feeling" at the limit?

·
Registered
705 Posts
toddwcarpenter said:
Fair enough, but you wouldn't then assume it drives one way or another based off it's looks would you? That's what I'm saying, drive one before you critecize how it drives. Seems obvious.

You'll notice I don't say much good or bad about the Solstice itself. It's because I haven't driven one.
I guess that's what I'm trying to say...Miata vs. Sol reviews are a waste on me. To me there was never a choice. But I'd never say my precious Sol is better than anything else on the road either cuz I have not driven everything else.

I'd say at this point in time it's a fair bet the vast majority on this forum did not buy the car for it's handling or speed as at the time most of us plunked down our deposit we had only guess's as to how the car would handle. All I knew when I ordered was it was not going to be a Corvette, but I knew it wouldn't be a LeSabre either...that was good enough for me.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
toddwcarpenter said:
You know, a Ford Astrovan tends to understeer. Do you think that alone will make it more "secure feeling" at the limit?
your really grasping at straws now to make your point... and your missing the whole target...there are various degrees of understeer and if you were as smart as you want people to believe, you would know that and not make such a statement..
I try to back up my statements with published descriptions and definitions, and my conclusions are based on that. I don't know what you base yours on
PS Ford made the AEROSTAR, CHEVY made the ASTRO.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Classic66vair said:
there are various degrees of understeer
My point was made to get you to admit exactly this. Because it means there are various degrees of oversteer as well. For a sports car NOT to display some oversteer equates to a boring drive. I certainly hope (and think) the Solstice will oversteer. I certainly hope (and think) the Solstice will not always be in understeer as the Edmunds article suggests. That would make for a boring car that is hard to drive fast at it's limit.

At far less than the limit, your 90%'ers won't know the difference either way.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
toddwcarpenter said:
My point was made to get you to admit exactly this. Because it means there are various degrees of oversteer as well. For a sports car NOT to display some oversteer equates to a boring drive. I certainly hope (and think) the Solstice will oversteer. I certainly hope (and think) the Solstice will not always be in understeer as the Edmunds article suggests. That would make for a boring car that is hard to drive fast at it's limit.

At far less than the limit, your 90%'ers won't know the difference either way.
I think all our misunderstands come from I am talking about your everyday driver in everyday conditions :yawn:

·
Registered
192 Posts
Classic66vair said:
... if you were as smart as you want people to believe, you would know that and not make such a statement..
If you were as smart as you want people to believe, you would not make such a statement. Sorry, couldn't resist! No need to get so personal. Take it easy. It's just a friendly Internet discussion of cars ... or it could be! :cheers:

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
robrecht said:
If you were as smart as you want people to believe, you would not make such a statement. Sorry, couldn't resist! No need to get so personal. Take it easy. It's just a friendly Internet discussion of cars ... or it could be! :cheers:
Same to you Fella!!! :lol:

·
Registered
608 Posts
Classic66vair said:
I think all our misunderstands come from I am talking about your everyday driver in everyday conditions :yawn:
I realize this. That's why it's so invalid. Everyday drivers in everyday conditions are not going to experiance under/oversteer at any sort of appreciable level from either car. However, the C&D article you keep refering back to (and all the reviews for that matter) is about driving the car at the llimit, performance driving.

I think you underestimate just how big the gap is between "everyday" and "at the limit" with these cars.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
toddwcarpenter said:
I realize this. That's why it's so invalid. Everyday drivers in everyday conditions are not going to experiance under/oversteer at any sort of appreciable level from either car. However, the C&D article you keep refering back to (and all the reviews for that matter) is about driving the car at the llimit, performance driving.

I think you underestimate just how big the gap is between "everyday" and "at the limit" with these cars.
You also must realize that even the ones that will drive the car at it's limit will only do it a very small portion of their overall time in the car, the rest of the time they will be driving it in normal everyday situations...Cars like these were meant to be enjoyed at more that using them at their limits, and if they can't put a smile on your face any time but if your driving like that then that is't a very enjoyable car to me....

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #276
Understeer, oversteer? To Quote Car&Driver:

the MX-5 is delightfully neutral. Although you can't easily kick out the tail with power, you can definitely balance the car with your right foot once you start cornering with enthusiasm.
The Solstice might not have the power to kick out its tail at the exit of a corner, but entering a corner near the limit is easy because the steering offers crisp turn-in and the wide all-season 245/40R-18 Goodyear Eagle RS-As are predictable and easy to slide around. If you do carry too much speed into a corner, understeer will rear its shuddering head, but a slight lift off the accelerator will transfer enough weight off the rear tires to cause them to slip wide, which has the effect of tucking the car back into the corner.
Sounds to me like they are close to the same. Come into a corner hot and if you let off the throttle the rears will get loose. (as it should) The Solstice will exhibit a touch more understeer entering the corner.

261 - 276 of 276 Posts