·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Don't mind me while I double post... but yeah I guess no one has posted this yet, the article is new as of today. Here are some of the main points as I saw them:

-There WILL be a base model priced at $19,995 - which will include the 18" wheels, 4 wheel disc brakes and aluminum sport suspension. (I like that they stated AT a price and not NEAR a price). The base model will not be a stripped version either because...
-Options BEYOND this will be few and include leather, upgraded audio, different wheel finishes and limited slip-differential. (So, I'm to understand that the base model will include power everything??)
-4.0 Cubic feet of cargo space with top up, but 2.0 down (not that this hasn't been suspected before...)
-Turning was descriped as "lazy and sweeping" although the car felt "solid and planted." Hope they tune the handling!
-They described how the top works in detail, although unfortunately no pictures show the car with the top up. I'm curious what the deal is with that, supposedly this was the same car, or a similar one to that at the Auto Shows this year, which may or may not have actually had a working top. I'm doubting this one had a working top either?
-The engines exhaust note sounded shaky, but Execs said the sound of the engine was very important and would be tuned.
-Claimed there was a lot of foot room and easy for heel-to-toe.
-Seating position is ideal, with good hip and leg room. Seats themselves were comfortable
-Steering wheel itself felt large and powerful in their hands.
-Interior room felt "spacious"

Exciting stuff, eh?

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Yeah I was pretty much posting what you jsut posted while I was reading it. The article is dated as of today (07.15.2004). Some of the bits I like the most are...

1. but Pontiac says even a loaded Solstice will come out under $25K
  2. We're going to offer a model of this car for under $20,000," Hopson said. "That's a line in the sand." He assured us the base model would retail at $19,995 when the Solstice arrives in showrooms next year
  3. Options are few, including just leather upholstery, an upgraded audio system, different wheel finishes and limited-slip differential (also a CON, where's my Supercharger option dammit!!!)
  4. An automatic transmission will also be available sometime after launch (I would never buy one, but some people will be glad to see this)

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
oops I missed this part

1. And, said Hopson, the Ecotec engine could easily be supercharged or turbocharged in the future. Now you're talking.

:party

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
naoki said:
-4.0 Cubic feet of cargo space with top up, but 2.0 down (not that this hasn't been suspected before...)
Great find on the article, thanks. The 4/2 trunk has been discussed here in detail (search on trunk)

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Dang! I was hoping to find an answer as to what that little gauge between the tach and speedo includes. No avail. On the specs page, they list only tachometer and clock for instrumentation. Please tell me it's not a clock! Sure, that would be a nice retro throwback and all, but please please tell me they are considering the clock on the radio or something, and not the little gauge between the tach and speedo.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Interesting they drove the show car from 2004. The May issues of the magazines that went to England in Feb all drove engineering test mules.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
mceb said:
Interesting they drove the show car from 2004. The May issues of the magazines that went to England in Feb all drove engineering test mules.
I suspect that you will see drives of this car show up in the rest of the magazines too. Probably the upcoming issue of magazines like Car and Driver, Motor Trend, etc. This article did say they were one of a few to drive it, not the only one.

Its a good writeup. I am not going to get too worked up over any praise or criticism. Lazy steering. They were going under 25 MPH. What isn't going to feel lazy at that speed? They didn't like some of the interior materials, but again, its a hand built one off of what the production model will be. Interior items could easily be different for a production car.

I like the fact they said it will be in showrooms for late summer 2005. That sounds better than GM's prior promises of fall '05 intros.

I understand how they can drool over the car. I stood and staired at that very vehicle in Detroit this past winter for ever. From the side, from above on GM's balcony (with their technology stuff) and snapped about half of all the pictures I took at the NAIAS of this car. It is stunning to look at!

Thanks for posting the link! I saw it on Edmunds this morning and popped on here earlier than usual to see if anything had been posted! It had, so I guess I am not dedicated enough yet! :D

I am not sure there is too much here we didn't know, but its nice to see some more first hand opinions, and the fact that they are very encouraged by what they touched!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
^Yeah, I'm excited that there will surely be more to read from other publications about this test drive (and more pictures of the Solstice enjoying the sun, too!).

Solstice sure is getting a lot of test drives and attention, GM is certainly enjoying showing it off and probably using these opportunites to gauge feedback too. I'm surprised we got test mule articles like 2 months ago and we can already expect these articles on the production model to come out soon as well. Hope there will be more to tell between now and next years auto shows... thats a long time to wait without any info.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
2KWK4U said:
Dang! I was hoping to find an answer as to what that little gauge between the tach and speedo includes. No avail. On the specs page, they list only tachometer and clock for instrumentation. Please tell me it's not a clock! Sure, that would be a nice retro throwback and all, but please please tell me they are considering the clock on the radio or something, and not the little gauge between the tach and speedo.

From this image you can see that it's definetely not a clock, unless they put an analog clock in (more then likely not). And since there's no fuel gauge vissible anywhere's else on the car it probably isn't a boost guage or water/oil temp guage.

Best guess is fuel guage.

I'm really hoping for a guage cluster panel option. Oil/Water temps, voltage, and boost guage of course :D I'm going to keep saying boost guage till Pontiac gets my hint :jester Seriously though I really do hope there is a guage cluster option.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Thanks Naoki for posting that article. I'm kinda lazy and wait for you more dedicated types to find and post these articles, so it is much appreciated.

brentil said:
I'm really hoping for a guage cluster panel option. Oil/Water temps, voltage, and boost guage of course :D I'm going to keep saying boost guage till Pontiac gets my hint :jester Seriously though I really do hope there is a guage cluster option.
My guess is that an upgraded instrament cluster won't show up until the supercharged engine does (I still believe it will be supercharged over anything else). When they put that engine on line they will want to put a boost guage there, and so will have to redesign the cluster for sure. It also fits the profile of the driver as well. Those that want more guages are pretty much the same types that will opt for an upgraded engine.

Once again I could be wrong, it's just my guess.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
The lack of full guages is my biggest complaint with this car (and that is not much of a complaint). Heck, it may be my only complaint aside from having to wait!

A sports car should really get a full guage package. Even if they offered a seperate guage pod as an accessory, it should be available from the factory. However, I do not see it happening as there does not appear to be anyplace to put one in that will look like part of the interior design. Its not a surprise to me, since fewer and fewer cars have full guages anymore.

A turbo/SC car may not get a boost guage, at least standard. Even the WRX does not get full guages, or a boost guage unless you pay extra.

Come on GM, give us guages!! :cuss

·
Registered
275 Posts
Note the LCD spaces under both the speedo and the tach. In many GM cars, this is where they put readouts. Remember Pontiac got stung very badly with the lack of guages on the 84 Fiero, something they do not forget easily and why since then just about everything has full guages.

Personally, the Jaguars of my yout make it necessary to have at least oil pressure and coolant temperature visible and you could do both in a single display. If you have driven a LeSabre lately, this is a good example.

Of course today the computer controls make a lot of things possible. Instead of an idiot light you could have an alert system with not only thresholds based on RPM but also change detectors.

Keep in mind that guages are more for long term decisions than short and for years GM has interconnected the oil pressure and the fuel pump.

Finally there is an assumption being made that the small center display is a single guage. My GTO has three different guages and a warning lamp in the left pod, there is no reason that could not be done here with led bar graphs replacing the analog guages of yore. Lots of possibilities.

ps clock will be digital. Not everyone knows how to read hands any more.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Is it just me or do these look similar?

Chevy Cobalt guages:

Pontiac Solstice:

If so, the middle gauge is the fuel gauge, or so it appears. Obviously the graphics are different, but the gauge layout looks to be identical or very close: part of the re-use?

Then, by deduction, the small LED/LCD readout on the left is the odo/trip and the one on the right is the Driver Info system, like in the Trailblazer/Envoy/SSR.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Yeah, looks like that's what the guage is. I have to say I do like the console/interior of the Solstice a lot better then the SS Cobalt.

However there is ONE thing the SS Cobalt has over ours, that damn boost guage!!! :jester

I have to admit, that seeing an A-Pillar Boost Guage as a standard item is very refreshing. I think it's a great feature to have standard.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
My money's on an A pillar boost guage (when one's eventually needed). Remember, it's a convertable and what better way to tell people your car has the extra guts! OK, maybe that and a (quasi) dual exhaust. :thumbs

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
They do look like the same guage package. I wouldn't be surprised, as I doubt GM would want to develop a seperate guage package for a low volume car. Didn't the '02 show car use a Vibe guage package?

:thumbs The A pillar boost guage is perfect! They definately need to bring that over from the Cobalt and use it in the future boosted Solstice. Thats an awesome place to put it, and gives the car a bit of a custom look!

So what does the Driver Info System tell us? I have yet to drive a GM vehicle with this system in it. Does it just replace the idiot lights, or does it include things like a trip computer?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts