1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
5 Posts
This has nothing to do with the article...but I really do not like edmunds.com. I think that most of the things they say are biased toward american-built cars. This may just be bad luck, but my family purchased a new 2001 Civic a while back my parents liked it because of the high reviews of edmunds.com and Consumer Reports. It had high marks of reliability and value...then in early 2004, it crapped out at only 30,000 miles, when engines are supposed to perform best. We knew this after it shuddered at highway speeds, and got outgunned by a Toyota Echo from a green light...

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Well, Edmunds.com was reporting on how great the handling and steering of the car was, but they were only limited to 25 MPH. And they were commenting on heel-toe driving and pedal placement. I don't know how they do that - I have to be at near-max braking and doing a downshift, and I can't do that if you limit my speed to 25MPH.

Maybe Edmunds is just a "go-along-with-the-flow" type of mag/autowritingsource. It did have great additional info on the interior and seating position - something that the mag writers who drove the "mule" cars hardly commented on.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
solsticeman said:
Maybe Edmunds is just a "go-along-with-the-flow" type of mag/autowritingsource. It did have great additional info on the interior and seating position - something that the mag writers who drove the "mule" cars hardly commented on.
I think Edmunds chopped a few things from the comments of the England test mules articles (C&D, AutoWeek etc.).

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Mutant Egg said:
This has nothing to do with the article...but I really do not like edmunds.com. I think that most of the things they say are biased toward american-built cars. This may just be bad luck, but my family purchased a new 2001 Civic a while back my parents liked it because of the high reviews of edmunds.com and Consumer Reports. It had high marks of reliability and value...then in early 2004, it crapped out at only 30,000 miles, when engines are supposed to perform best. We knew this after it shuddered at highway speeds, and got outgunned by a Toyota Echo from a green light...
Sorry your 'rents Civic didn't perform up to expectations. Just be careful applying that across the whole vehicle line. Those cars have a great reputation among most automotive sources, so they must be doing something right. Your parents may have just gotten a bad one, or the car may have just been unlikey that suffered a problem that is out of the ordinary for Civics.

Even the most reliable of cars are prone to breakdowns, and even the best automakers out there have their share of problems and produce their share of lemons. There is no perfect car. Did they take it in to be looked at?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts