Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
161 - 180 of 202 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP
7,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #161 ·
only 2 more pipes to sand and polish. I need a break That is what I have been doing since 11pm last night. I did take a 2 hour nap from 7am to 9am and by 10 am I was back to sanding a polishing.

220, 400, 800, 1000, 1500, 2000, and 3000 grit paper on each pipe. I also had to do a lot of filing to get rid of the welds on the CAI.

I will post images later on today.

• Wow
Reactions: agent008

·
Registered
187 Posts
I don’t even recognize the engine bay as a kappa‘s. Looks more like something you’d see at a NASA facility!

You’re a mad scientist!

And man, you really polished that valve cover. You can see the shine in the 1st pic. The black and chrome looks fantastic!

Great job!

·
Registered
7,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #165 ·
Thanks guys. It's a lot of little things that take a lot of time. Thing like coming up with a way to hold the hoses across the front of the engine. I happen to have had a box of assorted length 3mm socket cap screws and a box of assorted length 3mm standoffs. Using those I was able to attach 2 clamps (4 hoses) together on top of each other. 3 different tries at coming up with something that were failures to come up with a way that worked.

I am also painting and polishing parts as I reassemble. The valve cover I did 2 years ago and it looks like ****. It is resting in place at the moment and it will be coming back off so I can put assembly lube on the valve train. At that time I will polish and paint the valve cover again. I am almost done making a lid that covers the valley in the valve cover. Not like the ones that you can buy as those ones cover over the tops of the coil packs. Mine is going to be down in the valley leaving the tops of the coil packs exposed. All the wiring for the coil packs, VVT solenoids and the boost control solenoid are going to get covered up by the lid.

·
Registered
7,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #166 ·
I have to pick up some thin neoprene weatherstripping to put between the fan shroud and charge pipes. I made little indents in the fan shroud to support the pipes. How I did that was I took a piece of scrap pipe and heated it up a lot and use that to make the indents in the shroud. I melted the shroud. You can see in the pictures the indent for the intake. I don't want the pipes rattling against the shroud so the neoprene weatherstripping will take care of that nicely.

I did close the hood and there is tons of room above the charge pipes. gotta be 3-4 inches of clearance which is fantastic.

I also closed off around the radiator so air that goes in the front of the car isn't able to go around the radiator at all. it MUST go through it. It ended up coming out nice because it closes off the area between the charge pipes. A nice finished look.

Reactions: HHGadget

·
Registered
7,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #167 ·
I don't get what it is with people, it's like no one wants to work. Yesterday morning I left a message with a welder and I still have not gotten a call back. I spoke with another one yesterday morning as well and he said he would call me back later on in the day. never heard back from him.

·
Administrator
11,621 Posts
I don't get what it is with people, it's like no one wants to work. Yesterday morning I left a message with a welder and I still have not gotten a call back. I spoke with another one yesterday morning as well and he said he would call me back later on in the day. never heard back from him.
It is more likely that they are already busier than they can handle. All skilled trades are short of people, extending deliveries and driving up prices.

·
Premium Member
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP - Mysterious (with unkown origin blue sparkle in rear bumper cover paint)
4,303 Posts
It is more likely that they are already busier than they can handle. All skilled trades are short of people, extending deliveries and driving up prices.
This has been my ecoerience as well.
Everyone worth anything is busy busy busy.

·
Registered
7,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #170 ·
I got the bumper cover supports all painted up and put back on. and also the fender supports. I was dinking around with making a cover plate for the valley on the valve cover and sheet metal is too much of a pain to work with to cut the holes in for the coils and the VVT solenoids. I am going to have to measure it all up and draw it out and cut it from some 1/8" aluminum plate. It will be much easier to make the part with something rigid.

·
Registered
7,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #171 ·
So here is an update.

I can't find a welder that will return a friggin phone call. There must be a shortage of welders because it seems that all of them are too busy and cannot take on any work. I have also called welders that advertise that they do TIC welding and when I spoke with them they say yes they can TIG weld but they don't have a TIG welding machine. HOLY CRAP!! if you don't have the tools then you cannot do that kind of work. WTF!!!!! I had one guy trying to talk me into having him MIG weld the 0.0625" (1/16") aluminum tubing. Yeah... Ummm I don't think so.. You have to be exceedingly skilled to be able to MIG weld aluminum that thin without blowing through it.

I am still on the hunt for a welder. @rob the elder do you know of anyone that does TIG welding?

So as far as progress on the car. I have been painting and sanding and painting some more. working on the valve cover, shock tower brace and other brackets and pieces. I heat shielded everything that is over by the turbo. I have the wiring harness all buttoned up and fully installed. I wanted to move the fuse box to over the top of the battery. I could have done it if my finders were stock or if I didn't want to put the cover on it. It would fit without the cover on it, I wanted the cover tho. So I decided to relocate the battery to the trunk. I ordered up 18' of Stinger HPM 1/0 AWG 100% OFC silicone jacketed wire in a translucent red. and I also got 5' of the same in translucent black. 300 amp ANL fuse and fuse holder. I am thinking that I am going to use the starter as the connection point for the battery and use the factory starter wire as the power feed for the fuse box. The nice thing about the wire I got is it has a really high stand count and the silicone jacket make the wire super flexible.

By moving the battery to the trunk I am able to get the fuse box to fit where the battery originally was. I already made the brackets and have the fuse box installed. I also have the battery tie down installed into the trunk. My battery doesn't have battery terminals in the usual sense. there are no posts. There are bolts that bolt terminal rings down to the battery.

I have the wiring for the water pump all ties into the factory harness and running through the boot at the firewall. I pulled the passenger airbag to run the wiring with the factory harness in the dashboard. I stopped at that point because it was getting late and I needed to get a big zip tie to use as a fish tape to get the wiring through the dashboard. I pulled the boomerang and I have been looking at it for a suitable placement of the controller and display for the water pump.

I am thinking along the lines of the following for the display location.

Vehicle Speedometer Gear shift Trip computer Car

I would have to move the IP dimmer and the TC button, that's not a huge deal to do.

Unfortunately Davis Craig didn't make the controller so it can control a PWM fan. It would have been nice if they did. I am going to send off an e-mail to them about it with a bunch of technical information on how it should be implemented and it can be done using an already made fan control module that is inexpensive to purchase. I know the Solstice will pitch a fit about the controller not being plugged in so I would need to figure out how the ECM does a detection of it. I would imagine that the controller either pulls the PWM wire up or down and the ECM check to see what the voltage is on the PWM wire before sending a signal down it. If it's got the wrong voltage on the wire then it knows there is something up with the fan controller.

They could make the controller programmable so the max duty cycle, frequency and polarity could be set. Tricking the ECM shouldn't be that hard to do and is not something that would need to be apart of the control system for the water pump and fan.

I am going to key up that e-mail to Davis Craig right now.

·
Premium Member
18,721 Posts
Check with Eddie P. he is in the club and you can find his email in our club messages. He is a high end custom car builder. he will know if anyone does.

·
Registered
7,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #173 ·
I have started running the wire to relocate the battery to the trunk. I picked where I am going to mount the battery and also the fuse holder.

@rob the elder
You should look at the battery I am using. I placed a cigarette pack in the photos so you get an idea of the size of the battery.

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Trunk

I used the 2 studs that held the strap for the "spare tire to mount the fuse holder. This works out well because it is tucked up in there pretty good and accidental contact by an object is reduced because of the location.

The battery comes with a mount to hold it. The mount is a metal box that the battery drops into. This design would not work where I have the battery placed because the battery is located under the gutter for the trunk lid. So i cannot lift the battery straight up. What I did to make this work was I cut out the side of the box that is closest to the camera. This allows me to slide the battery towards the front of the car and then lift for removal. I needed a way to hold the battery in the box. This is parts recycling at it's finest. The strap that holds the spare tire is a single strap. GM folded it over and put grommets through the double layer to shorten it up. I removed the grommets and that made it a perfect length to wrap around the battery and the holder. This will keep the battery from sliding out.

Next photos are to get an idea of the physical size of the battery.

Motor vehicle Automotive battery Bumper Gas Automotive exterior

Automotive battery Bumper Automotive tire Gas Automotive exterior

Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive battery Gas Automotive exterior

As you can see the battery is pretty small. It packs a huge amount of power tho. 1200 cranking amps with a 2600 amp peak discharge rating. The battery is 31% smaller then the OE battery but it has 54% more power than the OE battery. There isn't much in the weight saving area, maybe 1-2 lbs.

I bring this up for @rob the elder because I know he has a few batteries in his vehicle and with space being a pretty high commodity in these vehicles and if you can get the same power from a single battery that is available with 2 and reduce the amount of space use that would be a good thing.

I took some photos as to why I am moving the battery. I wanted to free up space near the turbo while providing a large path for air t flow from the turbo area and out fender vents I made.

I moved the fuse box down into the area where the battery used to be I paced it at an angle to make it easier to view/access the fuse box . It also provides better aesthetics.
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Auto part

You can see in this next photo how much space is available. I did also change the HVAC intake air plenum. The stock one is absolutely HUGE and it being smaller isn't going to effect my comfort level. at all. I am sure the smaller air box is not going to be able to allow the same volume of air through it as the factory one does. I almost never have the HVAC on past the #2 fan speed.

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive tire Automotive design

This photo is taken looking through one of the fender vents. There is a clear line of sight right to the turbo.

Automotive lighting Wood Automotive exterior Tints and shades Gas

·
Registered
7,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #174 ·
The placement of the new radiator has caused me to raise the fan shroud This left a rather large gap between the top of the fan shroud and the top of the radiator. I maximize airflow passing through the radiator I needed to close that gap,.

Vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Trunk Automotive tire

I also wanted to make sure that air entering the grills only had a single path and that path would be through the radiator. I made a piece of trim that seals up around the edges of the new radiator. I had to cut holes in it for the charge pipes to run through. It also give a finished look to that area behind the imapact beam.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Tread Automotive exterior

·
Premium Member
18,721 Posts
I have a similar battery in the trunk of the Dragon. I use it for the GPS tracking system and the show lights. Nice battery

·
Registered
7,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #176 ·
That is one of the smaller ones they make. Thy do make much larger batteries.

The other thing you should be using for your setup is one of these guys.

That relay will allow you to decouple the back batteries from the front battery when the car is not running. This isolates your front battery so when you are doing a car show if you happen the hill the batteries you won't kill the battery used to start the car. The other good thing is you add a bypass switch so if for some reason the starting battery did go dead with the simple flip of a switch you can use the back batteries to start the car, provided that you have 1/0 AWG wire running from the back batteries to the front and a proper 300AMP ANL fuse on both ends of that 1/0AWG wire.

·
Registered
7,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #178 ·
The top will be able to drop into the trunk without an issue. It will not come into contact with the battery at all. The binding posts on the battery are not lead either. They are made from brass so no corrosion will form. The battery is a dry cell, there is no liquid in the battery and it doesn't vent any gasses. so 100% completely safe to use in a closed environment like the interior of a car.

·
Registered
7,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #179 ·
Just to let you know, your question didn't make you sound "dumb". It was a really good question and brought up some points of safety I had not mentioned. The battery is tucked far enough under the trunk lid rain gutter to keep it protected. The battery I a going to have put in so the binding posts will be all the way under the gutter so they will be protected from anything touching them.

·
Registered
2006 red 2.4 5sp, very low km
87 Posts
Would that style of smaller battery be suitable for traditional singular battery in the fender. If you could remove it without doing the fender removal, it could relieve some anxiety of those who dislike the current replacement procedures of the stock placement. Are these batteries insanely expensive.

161 - 180 of 202 Posts