Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some insight or help with the following problems. Have had my Sol GXP since new in 2007. Has been pretty reliable until --- last fall, went to move the car after a few months of no usage. Car wouldn't start. Assumed battery was dead so we tried jumping it. Car eventually started but had a very very rough idle, dash gauges were jumping around, engine RPM fluctuating a lot. I was able to drive it a short distance and then parked it for winter. Come spring, I immediately replaced the battery and tried firing it up again. Car fired up but was still running very rough, with large RPM fluctuations. After running at high RPM (3000 or so) for a couple of minutes, the engine settled and was able to idle. I went for a drive to see if I could "clear out the cobwebs" so to speak. On the drive, I'm getting intermittent battery fault lights, and intermittent low voltage (voltage drops out to 12 or so, "engine power reduced" lights up, then it goes back to normal). I started cleaning all of the ground points that I could find in the engine bay. The problem improved slightly - I could drive more miles between getting the engine power reduced warning, but the problem hasn't gone away entirely. I even went so far as to change the alternator (found one for $100 on close out). Still having the same issue - engine sputters, battery warning light flickers, vehicle speed jumps momentarily, CEL on, and then everything goes back to normal - CEL does not stay on.

Anyone have these kind of issues in the past? I'm wondering if the ECU is fried...

·
Registered
583 Posts
Looking for some insight or help with the following problems. Have had my Sol GXP since new in 2007. Has been pretty reliable until --- last fall, went to move the car after a few months of no usage. Car wouldn't start. Assumed battery was dead so we tried jumping it. Car eventually started but had a very very rough idle, dash gauges were jumping around, engine RPM fluctuating a lot. I was able to drive it a short distance and then parked it for winter. Come spring, I immediately replaced the battery and tried firing it up again. Car fired up but was still running very rough, with large RPM fluctuations. After running at high RPM (3000 or so) for a couple of minutes, the engine settled and was able to idle. I went for a drive to see if I could "clear out the cobwebs" so to speak. On the drive, I'm getting intermittent battery fault lights, and intermittent low voltage (voltage drops out to 12 or so, "engine power reduced" lights up, then it goes back to normal). I started cleaning all of the ground points that I could find in the engine bay. The problem improved slightly - I could drive more miles between getting the engine power reduced warning, but the problem hasn't gone away entirely. I even went so far as to change the alternator (found one for $100 on close out). Still having the same issue - engine sputters, battery warning light flickers, vehicle speed jumps momentarily, CEL on, and then everything goes back to normal - CEL does not stay on.

Anyone have these kind of issues in the past? I'm wondering if the ECU is fried...
The CEL code will be stored in the computer. If you have an auto parts store close by they or you can run a scan gauge and pull the codes. That’ll give you and us a better idea of what’s going on.

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts

Sounds more like a ground problem than a computer problem even though you checked the grounds. The two main ones being the battery connection and the engine ground on the passenger side. You should be getting 13.5 to 14V. from the alternator and 12 to 12.5V. from the battery. If it is fluctuating between those voltages I would also check the hot and ground connections from the alternator again.

I'll bet it will be one of those simple problems that are hard to track down.

R&T is right. Get the codes read first. They will give you a much better idea exactly what is going on.

Good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts