Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I too am concerned about car theft (I live next door to Detroit). I don't like the loud annoying alarms that no one pays attention to. I was thinking of a simple kill switch hidden somewhere. Now the question: If the battery kill switch cannot be found yet the column is punched out so the car is steerable, and since it is a manual transmission could it still be started by pushing it and popping the clutch?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,452 Posts
OZ40 said:
I too am concerned about car theft (I live next door to Detroit). I don't like the loud annoying alarms that no one pays attention to. I was thinking of a simple kill switch hidden somewhere. Now the question: If the battery kill switch cannot be found yet the column is punched out so the car is steerable, and since it is a manual transmission could it still be started by pushing it and popping the clutch?
If the kill switch disabled the Battery and the Alternator .. then I don't see how.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,153 Posts
That depends on which wire the kill switch is placed on. If it is on the starter wire, then yes it can still be started by popping the clutch. If you put the kill switch on one of the ignition wires, though, it won't start. I recommend using a relay so you don't have to use such a heavy-duty switch to carry the current. Another advantage of using a SPDT relay is that you can design the circuit with a failsafe in it. In other words, you can design it so the relay completes the circuit at rest, and only cuts out the connection when the kill switch completes it's own circuit.

You can also put the kill switch in line with one of the fuel pump relay wires. In that case, the car will start, but will only run for less than a minute before it "runs out of gas."
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,901 Posts
Most modern cars that are manual can no longer be push started.

Also the Solsitce has PassKeyIII+ which is an engine demobilizer. There's a chip in your keys that are required to be present for the car to start. Without that chip the engine is 'demobilized' from starting by the system.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Question...

Is that in my keys too? I don't have power door locks or windows.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,901 Posts
OZ40 said:
Is that in my keys too? I don't have power door locks or windows.
I'm not exactly sure. Off to go find out...

From Pontiac.com

"Theft-deterrent system, PASS-Key III+ = Standard"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
665 Posts
Has anyone tried a push start yet?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
767 Posts
Dreamer said:
Has anyone tried a push start yet?
I killed my engine while backing out of the driveway so I popped the clutch and it started. I guess since I hadn't read that it couldn't be kick started, it worked. Now that I know, it may never work again.
:lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,112 Posts
2KWK4U said:
You can also put the kill switch in line with one of the fuel pump relay wires. In that case, the car will start, but will only run for less than a minute before it "runs out of gas."
If your car has a carb, then it will run for a minute that way, but since it is fuel injected it has to have fuel pressure before it will even start, so using a kill switch in the fuel pump circuit will even keep it from starting.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,153 Posts
Classic66vair said:
If your car has a carb, then it will run for a minute that way, but since it is fuel injected it has to have fuel pressure before it will even start, so using a kill switch in the fuel pump circuit will even keep it from starting.
Ahhh, good point. Yes, if the car has sat for anywhere over a few minutes, it won't even start with a kill switch in-line with the fuel pump.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,592 Posts
I installed a kill switch myself on my old Tahoe with minor parts from Radio Shack and Autozone. It was easy from what I remember, but it was about 8 or 9 years ago. I think I plugged into an ignition wire or something. It was up on top of the engine, near the rear on the passenger side. Once installed, never had 1 lick of trouble with it.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top