Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
No

The connection is between the ECM and the TCM

If you are getting hard downshifts, read the transmission succage thread. You may have failed cam servos or sensers
the downshifts are not hard at all. this was when I tried to shoot out of the hole, floored. how's that for laymen's terms. lol

I was wondering if the boost would not be allowed to increase beyond the 6psi if the transmission wouldn't shift upwards. Now, I guess that it wouldn't matter because even if I gently work the boost up to 6psi it still wouldn't go beyond the 6psi limit. Maybe I just answered my own question?

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
A code reader is available at Harbor Freight for about a hundred bucks. I got one and it erases CEL codes as well.

I replaced my wastegate spring for a much stronger one. I think I got it from DDM. Might have been Dejon Powerhouse. Installation with simple tools took 10 minutes. It came with clear instructions. Unfortunately, Dejon is out of business. So check with Dave at DDM Works.

Lack of boost sounds like you are spilling boost pressure out into the atmosphere. Through the wastegate blowoff. That's what the spring holds closed. It holds up to 6 pounds and then won't hold anymore. Worth looking into and paying a few bucks for a spring.

My new spring hung open one day and my car instantly became a Dodge Neon. When it snapped closed, Lil'Oggi was back! No CEL. Why would there be? You can run without boost, all day long.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
A code reader is available at Harbor Freight for about a hundred bucks. I got one and it erases CEL codes as well.

I replaced my wastegate spring for a much stronger one. I think I got it from DDM. Might have been Dejon Powerhouse. Installation with simple tools took 10 minutes. It came with clear instructions. Unfortunately, Dejon is out of business. So check with Dave at DDM Works.

Lack of boost sounds like you are spilling boost pressure out into the atmosphere. Through the wastegate blowoff. That's what the spring holds closed. It holds up to 6 pounds and then won't hold anymore. Worth looking into and paying a few bucks for a spring.

My new spring hung open one day and my car instantly became a Dodge Neon. When it snapped closed, Lil'Oggi was back! No CEL. Why would there be? You can run without boost, all day long.
Now that sounds like something to check. No CEL. thank you very much.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Ok, here's the deal.

low end boost works fine. When I hit the gas the boost engages up to maybe 6psi and then wants to go more, but wont. The engine is still making rpm's ok, but I can tell that something is not working right as the engine just wont accelerate as smoothly and the boost is now reading zero. I drive around a bit with no other issues. NO CEL. Get home, take the battery cable off and let sit for a couple of hours, hook it all up again and all is fine. This repeats itself every time I try to take the boost over that 6psi mark.

Last year the intercooler developed a small hole in it making the boost non functioning. We all thought that the hole has caused the boost to stop working properly. On the way to the shop to change out the intercooler the CEL came on for the first time. Still no boost. So, we changed out the intercooler and the low end boost worked fine again after I had cleaned the MAF. So, road dust got inside. The tech wrote on the paperwork that "the turbo is making boost but not delivering it to the engine."

the thing is this. The boost worked fine until the hole in the intercooler was noticed. There was no CEL until I was going to change it out at the shop. With the service dept manager's approval of "it won't hurt anything" I drove the car that way while buying and receiving the Stock GM intercooler for that car.

Ok, so I put it away with the CEL coming on periodically if I try to push the boost past the 6psi mark. this spring, I take it into the shop and it is checked for leaks, nothing found. MAF ok, Map ok, the tech checked the other sensors and found them to be ok as well except for one. He changed it with a new one. He writes this on the work order, "boost pressure reading a constant 14. Unplug the sensor and boost goes to 40 and jump it and it goes to Zero. replaced the sensor found the same reading. Connectors?"

Now, my CEL has stopped coming on, so far. the boost will run up to 6psi and then no more. I posted this somewhere here as well. So, it appears that I am facing the original problem when the intercooler had a hole in it.

then, I read in this thread about a similar issue that after pulling the battery cable a few times the CEL stopping coming on and the issue was resolved. So, I'm thinking (it's dangerous, I know) It's raining here. Alb, NY but tomorrow we will be driving it again and I will try to make the CEL come on.

So, to me, I am back at square one with this. the system is tight (pressure tested), the sensors are working, the CEL has stopped coming on and the car runs fine except the boost wont go over 6psi.

I just learned about the wastegate spring replacement and man that sounds like it could be an issue, if the CEL stays off. But, could the system just be dirty from those short few rides with the hole in the intercooler? If this is so, is there a way to clean the entire turbo system without taking it apart? Can I use some sort of cleaning spray that can be injected into the air stream from the air cleaner? I'm just asking, I'm not going to just try it and see.

Now, and this is important too. Whosoever posts or has posted already the solution of this issue, I will paypal $50 for dinner as a thank you. I want this solved ASAP without going through needless trials and tribulations as peak driving season is upon us here in the great northeast.

thanks

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
>>could the system just be dirty from those short few rides with the hole in the intercooler? If this is so, is there a way to clean the entire turbo system without taking it apart? Can I use some sort of cleaning spray that can be injected into the air stream from the air cleaner? I'm just asking, I'm not going to just try it and see. <<

Probably not an issue.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Take a look at this shot of the right side of the engine (passenger side). Look where the green line from that "B" ends. There is an aluminum cap at the base of the elbow pipe, held on with three bolts, facing forward (to your right). Take those bolts out and there is the spring.

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Take a look at this shot of the right side of the engine (passenger side). Look where the green line from that "B" ends. There is an aluminum cap at the base of the elbow pipe, held on with three bolts, facing forward (to your right). Take those bolts out and there is the spring.
nice thanks. now, how to change it? any videos? precautions?

I'm leaning towards this spring. Maybe I'm way off, I don't know, but changing it is the one way to find out. today, we went for a similar ride up and down the highway to Saratoga, a cool spot. the boost was still not responding to anything more than 1, maybe 2 psi, but the engine worked and sounded fine. Then, all of a sudden the 0-6psi came back and worked the whole rest of the way. All I could think of is that the boost was being vented. Maybe the spring was stuck and then it freed itself to the original position once again? Anyway, I'm going to change it if it's not too complicated for a weekend warrior in this field. If there are special tools needed, to the shop it will go next week.

As always, thank you.

·
Premium Member
10,345 Posts
The spring just fits in there, no big deal to put a new one in.
There is a black rubber piece make sure you do not loose it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
ok, thanks
just an update. I have done nothing as of yet. Summer is here and we are driving around while taking notes on performance.

the CEL has stopped going on as was mentioned above after changing out the intercooler. the boost has worked up to the 6psi mark. When we try to push it beyond that point there is no difference. I'm really feeling like it is the wastegate spring as mentioned above. I'll look at it this fall when the rainy weather kicks in. Right now, it is still too much fun to drive to offer as a sacrifice to the repair shop gods.

I haven't forgotten my dinner offer. Right now, it seems as if I will have to split it up two ways if the spring is the culprit.

Thanks for all of your help.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
just an update. I have done nothing as of yet. Summer is here and we are driving around while taking notes on performance.

the CEL has stopped going on as was mentioned above after changing out the intercooler. the boost has worked up to the 6psi mark. When we try to push it beyond that point there is no difference. I'm really feeling like it is the wastegate spring as mentioned above. I'll look at it this fall when the rainy weather kicks in. Right now, it is still too much fun to drive to offer as a sacrifice to the repair shop gods.

I haven't forgotten my dinner offer. Right now, it seems as if I will have to split it up two ways if the spring is the culprit.

Thanks for all of your help.
Are you kidding? :willy:

Spend the 15 minutes and put the freakin' spring in and drive the car you bought. If you wanted an N/A, you should have bought an N/A. Are you THAT unable to do such a small repair? You've already spent hours talking about it. Put in a few more minutes and get 'er done!!!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Are you kidding? :willy:

Spend the 15 minutes and put the freakin' spring in and drive the car you bought. If you wanted an N/A, you should have bought an N/A. Are you THAT unable to do such a small repair? You've already spent hours talking about it. Put in a few more minutes and get 'er done!!!
lol. that's funny. :lol:

Now, after reading your reply, don't you just hope that I don't have arthritis in both of my hands, that they don't bend easily, barely being able to squeeze a cup of coffee without a lot of pain, while having six months to live before the cancer in my spine disables me permanently and that driving this gxp is on my bucket list? FORTUNATELY..... none of the above is true.;)

Now... It's not that I can't do it, it's a matter of the car being under a repair warranty and the terms of the contract state that if I do a repair on covered parts (the engine and turbo are covered) I run the risk of voiding the warranty for those items. (I'm sure that you know how insurance companies are looking for ways to not pay up, right?) I don't even change my own oil. So, my hands are tied right now. If they make the repairs and something breaks or fails, it's on them and I can't be blamed. Plus, if they make the repairs, the only cost to me is time. There is a method to my madness. I'll wait for fall.

thanks, this was fun to respond to.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Well, if it was true, how much will your wife be asking for the car? :eek:

Seems to me that driving around in a broken car is no way to honor the terms of a repair contract. The car is broken and in need of repair. Get them to fix it.

Besides, no one can see the new spring nor will have the slightest inkling of an idea that it has been replaced. Driving around in a broken car cannot be good for anything. Especially for you, considering your limited time on earth and all. :yesnod:

And if I had 6 months left, A Ferrari Enzo would be my entire Bucket List and I'd buy it on credit! :driving:

·
Super Moderator
16,089 Posts
Many people drive in limp mode light, with 6 PSI boost for weeks or months and never notice. If you dont make high demands on power you never notice. The reason there is this mode is to allow the owner to continue to drive the car until its convenient for them to get it diagnosed and repaired.

I believe it is perfectally ok to continue to drive the car in this condition

21 - 35 of 35 Posts