Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
my 2008 GXP goes in Thursday to have a GM tune installed, and right after that goes to a local shop to have the DDM brace kit put in underneath.

While at the dealership or the shop I may have them look at something, but, if it is not needed to be looked that it is better because most definitely minimally the GM dealership is going to charge me to check this out, and knowing and GM dealership, probably fairly handsomely.

The possible problem: I read the manual, I think I'm doing correctly, however the Electronic Stability Control when pushed as per the manual directions it feels like it is not working at all, and I see no change on the dashboard suggesting it is operational.

I bought this car used with only 15,000 miles on it, however it is 10 years old, and anything can happen to any car the matter how many miles.

Any ideas please?

·
Registered
256 Posts
Your posts are always a challenge to read and understand.
Unless you turn them off, stability and traction control are turned on as soon as the car starts. If they are not working, the information display will tell you that they are not working when the car starts.
Unless you are a very good driver, there is no reason to turn them off. What are you trying to do?
Before you post your reply, please carefully reread it to make sure that someone besides yourself will be able to follow it.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Unless you turn them off, stability and traction control are turned on as soon as the car starts. If they are not working, the information display will tell you that they are not working when the car starts.
Unless you are a very good driver, there is no reason to turn them off. What are you trying to do?
Before you post your reply, please carefully reread it to make sure that someone besides yourself will be able to follow it.
Right? not wanting to be insulting, but maybe a relative of Yoda.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
if it is supposed to work I would like it working for times that I may want to punch it and go faster. Safety always in mind. I am a good driver. I'm going to have a lot of work done to the engine to gain as much horsepower as possible. As well, eventually, I probably will do an eight cylinder swap. Eventually I would like to bring it to a track and race it after I put the eight cylinder in it.

If it is supposed to work I also would like it to work. As far as I read in the manual when one pushes it the dashboard should display that it is on or off. When I pushed I do not see anything on the dashboard. Nor do I feel anything different when driving. I do not believe it is working at all.

Your point is taken. I will try to make my posts more clear. Thank you for your input about being more clear and about the traction control button.

·
Registered
256 Posts
When you start the car, does the driver information center say that there is a problem with the ESC or traction control? If not, then it is probably working fine. The car will look for a fault every time on startup. If it is not working it will tell you. Also, the car makes sure that it is on at every startup. You have to manually turn it off. It is a safety feature.
Go to a large parking lot and try doing a donut to prove to yourself that it is working.

·
Registered
7,513 Posts
Okay, @MischievousGuru, please re-read your manual more closely. As Essayons said, ESS and TC default to ON when you start the car. Pushing the buttons only DISABLES the functions in stages. Thus, if you've pushed the buttons, you've turned it OFF!

·
Registered
256 Posts
As well, eventually, I probably will do an eight cylinder swap. Eventually I would like to bring it to a track and race it after I put the eight cylinder in it.
I believe that the stock ESC will not work with an engine control that a V8 swap will entail. Also, the idea of using a GXPs ESC for real racing is silly. If you are racing, you will want car control that the GXPs ESC will not allow.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay, @MischievousGuru, please re-read your manual more closely. As Essayons said, ESS and TC default to ON when you start the car. Pushing the buttons only DISABLES the functions in stages. Thus, if you've pushed the buttons, you've turned it OFF!
I am trying to turn it off for competitive mode, I am not concerned about it not working insofar as being on. According to the manual when one disables it, which is what I want to do in case I want to bring it to the track, or just punch it and see if it goes faster with it off, as far as I can tell the button is it is not shutting off traction control and allowing the car to go into competitive mode. That is what I meant by "it is not working." I meant the button is not working; it is not shutting off the ESC. if my terminology is not correct, to keep it really simple: when I press the button I don't believe the button is working. I want the option of shutting off whatever the right words would be, and having the car go into competitive mode, which is what I understand from reading the manual. Again please bear in mind I am not mechanically inclined, and then communicating things that I don't understand very well and as well as I can, of course.

·
Registered
256 Posts
This is why I have grown frustrated with your posts. The thread title is, "Electronic Stability Control." The first post says, "The possible problem: I read the manual, I think I'm doing correctly, however the Electronic Stability Control when pushed as per the manual directions it feels like it is not working at all, and I see no change on the dashboard suggesting it is operational." That appears that your gripe is that ESC is not working. Now, after numerous posts, you finally tell us that you are trying to turn on the Competition Mode.
Since I cannot see what you are doing, there is nothing I can do to help.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
This is why I have grown frustrated with your posts. The thread title is, "Electronic Stability Control." The first post says, "The possible problem: I read the manual, I think I'm doing correctly, however the Electronic Stability Control when pushed as per the manual directions it feels like it is not working at all, and I see no change on the dashboard suggesting it is operational." That appears that your gripe is that ESC is not working. Now, after numerous posts, you finally tell us that you are trying to turn on the Competition Mode.
Since I cannot see what you are doing, there is nothing I can do to help.
obviously I did not intend to be confusing. I have limited knowledge, I am posting as clearly as I can, and my deepest apologies for any confusion that was caused; not intentional. I do not even know if I'm using the correct words. I never even knew this thing existed before I purchased this car. I was just trying to find out if I could get it to work, when I saw her was not working, at least as far as I could tell, I was simply asking if there was a way to determine whether or not the button, not the traction system, or whatever it is called, was working or not.

When I saw that there was confusion I tried to clear it up.

I push the button according to the manual directions. The manual says certain things should appear on the dashboard, I'm not even sure where. I see and feel nothing.

·
Premium Member
1,785 Posts
My car doesn't have any of the nanny features but, on my Corvette, you had to HOLD the button for a few seconds to get competition mode.

The car won't be any faster in terms of acceleration. It's a selective mode that engages / disengages a combination of traction control, ESC and ABS. It's great for the track, IF you know what you're doing, but pretty useless for street driving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: MischievousGuru

·
Registered
256 Posts
I push the button according to the manual directions. The manual says certain things should appear on the dashboard, I'm not even sure where. I see and feel nothing.
The owners manual has graphics that show where the traction control light is. They also show where the DIC is located. The section of the manual that tells you how to push the button even has page numbers to direct you to those graphics on the dashboard. Saying that you don't know where to look on the dash... RTFM.
The displays are pretty clear about what's going on. If the traction control light is now going off and on, and the appropriate words are not being displayed on the DIC, maybe the button has been disconnected.

·
Premium Member
17,538 Posts
I believe that the stock ESC will not work with an engine control that a V8 swap will entail. Also, the idea of using a GXPs ESC for real racing is silly. If you are racing, you will want car control that the GXPs ESC will not allow.
It works fine with the conversion

·
Premium Member
17,538 Posts
The display is in the Drivers Information Center. In the gauge cluster. When you toggle the Dash button, the message is displayed as text in the DIC not the button

It's probably working as designed but you are not seeing the message

Turning off stability control is a bad idea. Switching to COMPETITION MODE is ok but several drivers have learned the hard way that these cars will swap ends in a very short time

·
Registered
575 Posts
As well, eventually, I probably will do an eight cylinder swap. Eventually I would like to bring it to a track and race it after I put the eight cylinder in it.
I can't wait for that thread! I think Bill from BC should move in with you and help you out, He loves V8's!

Bert

·
Registered
7,668 Posts
I can't wait for that thread! I think Bill from BC should move in with you and help you out, He loves V8's!

Bert
I saw that! :grin:

Was just looking at a V8 swap car with an LS2 with 400/400 bhp/Tq, thinking that I was only down 25 bhp and ft-lbs but got 30 mpg with the 4 cylinder and wondered why bother - just turn the wick up a tad on the LNF.

In the old days, the impetus for V8 swaps was power. Now with the 4 cylinder technology and power so much closer to a stock V8, that segment of the hobby consists in much larger part of those just in love with a V8, regardless of power.

I guess if you gotta do it, you gotta do it. Personally, I like the 2JZ swap - more power than a V8 and sounds far, far better.

·
Registered
7,668 Posts
I thought that the ESC and traction control also limited throttle when they kicked in. If that's the case then the conversion engine computer needs to take those inputs?
The guys swapping a GM engine of similar age into a GM car don't seem to have any problem - the various computers can talk to each other.

I expect that if you used a Chrysler engine or some such, you'd be absolutely right and would have to investigate compatibility.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts