Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

I was wondering whether there'll be some kind of ESP (Electronic Stability Program) available. I'm not sure if the abbreviation is used in the US. (It's the electronic control of all 4 brakes separately. Sorry if you use the same abbreviation.)

I'll use my Opel GT (only 2 years left till it comes to us ;) ) as my daily driver and it will for sure be my only car then. So it would be a big + if the car would have an installed ESP.

I did a forum search and found nothing (maybe due to wrong abbreviation ESP). Are there any rumors about such a safety device?

·
Registered
350 Posts
From what I have heard nothing is in the works yet, but that doesn't mean that it will not happen

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
We've spied what appears to be a ESP on/off switch on the dash of the Sky. The Solstice however currently does not have this ability. So having the on/off button on the Sky might imply they're planning it to have it. We'll find out closer to release.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
I seriously doubt they'll ever put it on this car as long as they keep advertising such a low MSRP. It is, after all, a "back-to-basics" car... and electronic brake control is a far cry from "back-to-basics." Besides, something like that would just hinder performance once the car is taken to the edge, and that's certainly no fun! :cool:

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
dori-san said:
I seriously doubt they'll ever put it on this car as long as they keep advertising such a low MSRP. It is, after all, a "back-to-basics" car... and electronic brake control is a far cry from "back-to-basics." Besides, something like that would just hinder performance once the car is taken to the edge, and that's certainly no fun! :cool:
GM has previously announced they plan on eventually having stabilitrack on all of their cars as standard equipment.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
As Fformula88, GM has said OnStar and StabiliTrack will be standard on all cars by the end of the year 2007. So as long as the Solstice exists in 2008 it'll have it then for sure.

Also the new C6 Corvette has a 'Sport' StabiliTrack mode that's supposedly very nice for on the track. If we got something like that I'd be happy.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
brentil said:
As Fformula88, GM has said OnStar and StabiliTrack will be standard on all cars by the end of the year 2007. So as long as the Solstice exists in 2008 it'll have it then for sure.

Also the new C6 Corvette has a 'Sport' StabiliTrack mode that's supposedly very nice for on the track. If we got something like that I'd be happy.

There goes our back to basics roadster. Lucky we're getting an '06 without the gismos!

·
Registered
905 Posts
The 07 model(s) of the Solstice will be interesting to see, seeing what they added etc. I bet the base price increases.

·
Registered
64 Posts
brentil said:

Close:
OnStar standard on every GM starting 2007 MY
Stabilitrack standard on every vehicle by 2010 CY
Most vehicles that will be around in 2010 will have Stabilitrack at least optional by 2008 MY

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks all!

So I suppose the Opel will have it and they'll call it ESP. Both Opel and VW use the term that was introduced by Mercedes after the "Elk-Test"-disaster with the A-Class happened.

Since this time most of the cars are equipped with the system and in my eyes it is a big advantage because it adds active safety.

If the car wouldn't be my daily driver then I probably won't use it in the rain/snow (and therefore I could live well without ESP).

And of course one should be able to switch the system off, which is possible on most cars.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
The 'vette allows you to turn it off (but leave ABS on), or turn it to "competitive" mode, which can be interesting.... I believe that mode turns off the traction control, and loosens up the active handling part - but still can help save a desperate situation...

Most people I know use the ABS-only when running on a closed road course, and comp mode when autocrossing.

·
Registered
381 Posts
If my wife's driving the Sol & gets killed in a wreck that StabiliTrack could have prevented, I'm going to feel pretty bad about not checking that box on the order form (if it's available).

·
5,641 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts