Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched and read through several threads regarding debadging, re-badging, and overlays. Here's my thought:

Since the car is laid up awaiting a cat, I'm going to finish painting the rotors (the centers are rusted up quite a bit.) But whilst in there, the wife and I thought that painting the calipers would be a nice touch also. We're thinking a deep purple with a little metallic flake would be sharp. OR, a red to match the Pontiac emblems on the outside of the Sol. ORRRR.

Get Pontiac emblems that have the deep purple background instead of the red so that they match the calipers. Where am I going to find those? Probably no where. Sooo, I'm wondering if I can take apart the existing emblems, paint the background and then reassemble them. I'm not interested in trashing out the existing emblems, so I'd find some on e-bay. But I'm not going to drop the coin to find out it can't be done.

I believe the emblems are either hot-foil sealed onto the clear, or possibly in-mold decorated (the background color is a sheet loaded into the mold and the clear is injected over it, fusing the two permanently together.)

Has anybody tried to take one apart?

·
Registered
7,256 Posts
It is either poured resin, or heat-molded. In either case, you ain't taking that apart without destroying it.

An alternative would be to find vinyl in your color and cut to fit to apply over the top. Check with ASAP Grafix.

·
Premium Member
3,263 Posts
I have one in hand, and I believe that destructive separation is the only way for what you want to do. ASAP had colors for overlays. I would contact them.

I mixed up caliper paint for mine to match the emblem color, required red, black, and blue. YMMV

:cool:

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks to Soup and to Nuts (nyuk nyuk.)! As suspected the backing is molded onto or fused to the clear. I don't think that completely eliminates my options.

Does the underside look like a foil backing? I'm betting it is. I may be able to peel and/or sand it off, buff the living !#$ out of it and then paint from the back side.

Anybody have any spares they'd like to sell for a low-low price for me to practice on?

: )

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow. I gotta look closer at mine. It appears they mold a clear polycarbonate "lens", apply the pearlescent red backing on the back of it, then put that into another mold, then "overmold" the back and sides with an ABS material.

ABS is the material of choice for plating. The whole thing is then put through the plating baths which will etch and plate the ABS - leaves the polycarb untouched. Kind of a ballsy approach, 'cause if you dick up the plating process you're scrapping a couple bucks worth of work. You'd normally do the pieces separately to minimize your risk.

It could be two separate pieces glued together, but mine appear to be pretty seamless between the chrome outer edge and the clear center piece...

Head scratcher for sure. Appears I might be shafted...OR

I could see if a local tool shop could strike a side deal. One of his associates has a white light scanner than can read 3D images and create the math data for a CAD model. I know he's been looking for some projects to prove out his technology. Maybe I could get him to scan the badges, I can manipulate the data and then we could machine a couple of cavities into an old mold we have laying around. All told I'd probably have about $5k into making a mold that I couldn't sell anything off of since it violates GM's copyrights/trademarks!

I'm an ass.

·
Registered
750 Posts
We could make an emblem from scratch however it would not be beveled like the factory piece it could have colored mirror inserts in any color you like. I may have to experiment and see what I can come up with. I have had several requests for factory type emblems, and just haven't had time to mock one up.

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm interested, Tony. Do you machine them from sheet stock?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts