Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did a search for this and was not able to see any threads so please excuse me if this has been answered .
First off gotta say love my GXP ,but absolutely very disappointed with the factory E brakes.Is there any mods done to actually make these brakes hold?Thanks,please direct me to where they are posted.:chill:

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I understand that there is a procedure for that but my brakes never was able to hold very well,read several things and how to for adjusting including adding washers to the adjustments.Thanks I will read the links you put up.

·
Premium Member
17,548 Posts
There is a known issue with the rear caliper that is mechanically connected to the parking brake handle. The caliper pistons freeze and you get little to no parking break as a result.

Adjusting the cable does not address this issue. Once the pistons are freed up, the parking brake will rut urn to operation.

·
Registered
6,055 Posts
There is a known issue with the rear caliper that is mechanically connected to the parking brake handle. The caliper pistons freeze and you get little to no parking break as a result.

Adjusting the cable does not address this issue. Once the pistons are freed up, the parking brake will rut urn to operation.
What Rob said. You'll also noticed a big difference in your braking performance once you free up those rears!

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
It might help to not call it the E-brake, since it should always be used for parking, not just for emergencies. I've never had an issue with my parking brake, and I use it every time I park outside my garage.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Being a driveway mechanic, I realized if the pistons are not frozen they may just be out of adjustment (saving you the effort of removing the wheels etc.). This may not work if your pistons are too far out of adjustment.

I drove hard back and forward 10-20 times braking extremely hard each time. After doing this my parking brake started holding again.

Also, parking brakes hold better pointing downhill. I once backed out of a driveway and could not move forward because the parking brake was on.

·
Registered
7,517 Posts
I understand that there is a procedure for that but my brakes never was able to hold very well,read several things and how to for adjusting including adding washers to the adjustments.Thanks I will read the links you put up.
My hand brake did not work well from new (although mine was a showroom queen). Once I wound the pistons in, it was tremendously improved.

Being a driveway mechanic, I realized if the pistons are not frozen they may just be out of adjustment (saving you the effort of removing the wheels etc.). This may not work if your pistons are too far out of adjustment.

I drove hard back and forward 10-20 times braking extremely hard each time. After doing this my parking brake started holding again.
They adjust automatically. You probably had a seized piston, and what you probably did is find a different (easier?) way of freeing it up by repeatedly hitting the auto-adjust. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts