Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I failed an emission sniff test twice due to too high of carbon monoxide (CO) levels....

Things worth noting:
  • New ATK LDK 2.0
  • HP Tune from Dave at PAW
  • Magnaflow Exhaust
  • DDM CAI
  • Factory Catalytic Converter
I ran a SOLO HFC and got a failing 34.7 CO level (anything over 15 is failing).

I installed the factory cat and got a failing 22.2 CO level.

I've smelled gas while sitting at red lights with the new engine, that I never smelled with the old engine. Could this be the tune with too rich of conditions?

In a worst case scenario do you think that by adding a SECOND inline catalytic converter I could pass (that I would obviously remove as soon as I passed)? Would this create any sort of CEL's or screw with the tune?

PS - I heard back from Dave today via email but he suggested adding the factory cat, thinking I'll then be fine.....I'm about to send him an email back detailing that I've already done that and see what he thinks.

·
Premium Member
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It just came to me that the Magnaflow exhaust is new compared to the first time that I went through emissions. Do you think that by adding the OEM exhaust back on, that it could help?

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
It just came to me that the Magnaflow exhaust is new compared to the first time that I went through emissions. Do you think that by adding the OEM exhaust back on, that it could help?
my simple opinion.... no. emissions are controlled by sensors before and after the cat; all the rest of the piping is just routing the exhaust safely to the rear.

Bill

·
Premium Member
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
my simple opinion.... no. emissions are controlled by sensors before and after the cat; all the rest of the piping is just routing the exhaust safely to the rear.

Bill
Thanks for your opinion Bill!

Hmm.
scratch's head as what to do next

·
Super Moderator
7,548 Posts
I don't see the exhaust having an effect on CO. Adding a second cat would require fabricating a new exhaust, assuming it would even fit under the car. And it may not even help.

Wouldn't it be better, and easier, to just fix the overrich problem?

·
Premium Member
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I completely agree with the rich situation John. What's your opinion - replace O2 sensors or have the tune looked at? Both?

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I completely agree with the rich situation John. What's your opinion - replace O2 sensors or have the tune looked at? Both?
pardon my opinion as you asked the question of John... but unless the O2 sensors are bad replacing them will not accomplish anything; again, my opinion, get the tune looked at (your smelling gas is a clue...)

Bill

·
Super Moderator
7,548 Posts
Your problem (obviously) is that you have made several changes at once.
  • Is the tune calibrated for the injectors?
  • Do you have an air leak somewhere?
  • What do your fuel trims look like?
  • Is your evap purge solenoid working?
  • You haven't mentioned codes.
  • Is your MAF sensor in good shape?

Reactions: Sting Ya

·
Premium Member
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
First off - thank you both, Bill and John for your time and knowledge.

I was wondering about the o2 sensors Bill - how does one know if they are bad? I don't have an CEL's and never had. I simply swapped engines, installed Daves tune (he said not to start it without a tune to support the Opel injectors) fired it up, and it's been running fine for over 1k miles.

John - sadly you'e asked a lot of questions that I dont know where to begin answering.

• Is the tune calibrated for the injectors? Yes, Dave made this calibration.
  • Do you have an air leak somewhere? Not that I've ever noticed. All vaccum linesseem to be in good shape, I'll start and listen tomorrow after work.
  • What do your fuel trims look like? Can I display this with a datalog from HPtuner?
  • Is your evap purge solenoid working? No codes being thrown, gas cap passed emission test.
  • You haven't mentioned codes. None?
  • Is your MAF sensor in good shape? Define good shape? It's the factory sensor - 38k miles?
I'm happy to replace anything that may help.....I'm still hoping that it's just a tune issue.

Does anyone have recommendations for datalogging with HPtuner? Just turn it on and let it idle? Short drive? Long drive? Series of accelerations?

Thanks for yalls help!!

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Your problem (obviously) is that you have made several changes at once.
John has given some very valuable advice; something that some of us have never seemed to have learned (i can probably add myself to that list....)

if at all possible, NEVER make more than one change at a time (well, maybe two out of necessity....). if something isn't working you will play ''heck''' figuring out what is causing it

thanks John for reminding us... it is the most basic corollary of most things, even life....

Bill

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I was wondering about the o2 sensors Bill - how does one know if they are bad? I don't have an CEL's and never had. I simply swapped engines, installed Daves tune (he said not to start it without a tune to support the Opel injectors) fired it up, and it's been running fine for over 1k miles.
O2 sensors can go bad or read wrong for a variety of reasons and cause rich or lean conditions but are beyond the capability of most DIY people to determine and therefore it is often recommended they be changed every 50/60K; but that is only a rule of thumb and they could has easily last twice as long if the engine doesn't have any problems that will cause them to foul.. they can be "relatively" inexpensive and if you want to try the Bubba approach, replace them.

i know you said you have a new engine, but are you using the old O2 sensors? if so, how many total miles on them?

having said all that, i would still investigate the tune.

Bill

·
Super Moderator
16,399 Posts
I had a similar problem. I routed the PCV to atmosphere and my CO levels dropped significantly. Not sure if this is an option for you but it worked for PunisheR.

·
Registered
6,949 Posts
If you didn't change the injectors, your tune may just be calling for too much fuel, in which case you could always reflash to stock (I don't think they ever place the engine under boost when testing, do they) get it tested and then go back to the performance tune.

I wouldn't bet against it just being a tune that is causing the problem - too rich in some ranges?

·
Premium Member
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I sent in two datalogs to Dave tonight. Here is picture of one of them - I'm honestly not well versed with HP Tuner at all - is there anything specific I can show for yall?

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts