Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have tried to search (and forgive me if I've missed it), but has GM announced whether they will offer the employee pricing? This pricing is the main reason we have purchased GM vehicles over the years since my dad has worked at the plant in Lordstown, Ohio and recently retired.

Also, if we miss the first 1000 - what is the call for general availability?

I am concerned that if we do get lucky enough to get in on the first 1000 built - I won't have had the chance to sit in it and see if I am comfortable?! Oh well, my wife can drive it then! (I am 6'4" and go about 285 lbs.) Bigger than average in both directions!

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Welcome 2Big4ARoadster. Not 100% sure if we know for sure about employee pricing for the first 1000 program (there have been some restrictions mentioned). You can check the documents attached at the start of the link below my signature.

There's a dealer broadcast training tomorrow so maybe we'll know more then.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Welcome to the forum, and thanks so much for searching.

You didn't miss anything - there's been some discussion about employee pricing, but nothing clear.

GM has not really announced whether they will have employee pricing on the Solstice - as I'm sure you know, they may limit such pricing for the first year on hot sellers. It's also up to the dealers whether they want to honor employee pricing or not. I ran into that when I was interested in a Corvette about 4 years ago, and learned that there were almost no Chevy dealers that would honor employee or supplier pricing on corvettes.

I don't think there's any clear info on what happens if you're not the first 1000. Most places will not allow evaluation rides in cars that have been ordered - especially "special" cars like these (where supposedly there is going to be a buyer for every one of the 1000 - dealers aren't really allowed to try and load up on the 1000).

I know if I got one of the first 1000 and the dealership kept it for a week to give people rides and let them rag on the car.... I'd be :mad:

Should know more after the dealership broadcast.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Sorry, GMS and supplier discount programs are not available for the EOP. I would also doubt that there would be special pricing for the car until sales start to miss their target.

·
Registered
139 Posts
damn, the only way i could afford this is if my dad could get the discount and prep it for three months to buy it as a "used car." i really really hope there is some kind of employee discount.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Guys!

Thanks for your help guys - I appreciate your responses. I am still going to try to get in the first 1000 - if I get lucky it will probably be worth paying more!? :)

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
2Big4ARoadster said:
Thanks for your help guys - I appreciate your responses. I am still going to try to get in the first 1000 - if I get lucky it will probably be worth paying more!? :)

Hang on, don't run yet. GM Employees and their immediate family members cannot order under EOP but the price list for retail orders that I got from my dealer today shows a 2006 base model price for "Employee" of $17,650.10, DFC is $575.00. Employee prices are also listed for options and packages.

My dealer was surprised by the mark up on this car (difference between dealer invoice and MSRP).

·
Registered
285 Posts
Since they (as of now it appears) are not allowing GMS (Employees) to participate in the early order process you would think they would have to allow GMS pricing on the vehicles as soon as regular allocation hit the showroom. Otherwise they would say we excluded for being eligible for an incentive we won't let you use.

The only problem I see with this is (I've heard) GMS is a per dealer thing, they don't have to offer it. Since many dealers are already talking mark-up I can't see them offering GMS on the cars anyway.

If it is indeed true that GMS people (no matter if they are employees or not) can't do the EOP I have to say GM You REALLY REALLY SCREWED UP :brentil:

I'm going to sneak in an off topic question as the supplier / GMS thing keeps comming up. Can you use both on 1 vehicle or is it just one or the other?

Thanks,

·
Registered
228 Posts
GradSoulStice said:
hmmm well if i cant have my gms then i might as well shoot for one of the first 1000...aha new competition in the race.
Did you miss the post above? people with employee or supplier discounts are not allowed to order in the first 1000. Its only open to the general public

I actually like the idea, people typically abuse that privledge so its about time us regular folk get something at least kinda special

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How would they Know?

Even though I am and eligible employee member - how would they really know and stop me from the EOP program? What if I registered my wife? I am going to try anyhow. If you are right - I would guess that the registration web site will ask if you are an employee or eligible family member. If you check YES then they will not allow you to proceed. If you check NO and they find out later that you are - then they may cancel the order.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
2Big4ARoadster said:
Even though I am and eligible employee member - how would they really know and stop me from the EOP program? What if I registered my wife? I am going to try anyhow. If you are right - I would guess that the registration web site will ask if you are an employee or eligible family member. If you check YES then they will not allow you to proceed. If you check NO and they find out later that you are - then they may cancel the order.
During the EOP broadcast it is obvious that Pontiac has a very specific list of what family members do not qualify for the EOP. Don't ask me how they would check this. They said it was very similar to the XLR order program exemptions.

·
Registered
338 Posts
2Big4ARoadster said:
I have tried to search (and forgive me if I've missed it), but has GM announced whether they will offer the employee pricing? This pricing is the main reason we have purchased GM vehicles over the years since my dad has worked at the plant in Lordstown, Ohio and recently retired.

Also, if we miss the first 1000 - what is the call for general availability?

I am concerned that if we do get lucky enough to get in on the first 1000 built - I won't have had the chance to sit in it and see if I am comfortable?! Oh well, my wife can drive it then! (I am 6'4" and go about 285 lbs.) Bigger than average in both directions!
Yesterday, during one of my phone calls to EOP Hotline, in plain English, RETIREES and their discount eliglible familiy members are eligible to order an EOP unit, but without a discount. :lurk:

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
PAS22 said:
Hang on, don't run yet. GM Employees and their immediate family members cannot order under EOP but the price list for retail orders that I got from my dealer today shows a 2006 base model price for "Employee" of $17,650.10, DFC is $575.00. Employee prices are also listed for options and packages.

My dealer was surprised by the mark up on this car (difference between dealer invoice and MSRP).
Can you provide us with a scan of official Employee pricing?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just spoke to my dealer . . . . my rep was not in on the broadcast yesterday, but put me on hold and talked to him. He said that the idea for the EOP is that GM Employees (including dealer employees) are not eligible. They want to try and make it a fair opportunity for everyone and hence are not allowing those on the inside to get their hands on the cars. He also said that his person told him that about a month later they will accept orders with GMS pricing. This particular dealer here in Northeast Ohio said they do not charge over MSRP or GMS on vehicles like this - they are more concerned with developing the relationship for future business as opposed to making a few extra $$ on this sale. Makes good sense to me . . . I plan to hold him to it when I place my order!!! :cool:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Also - does anyone know the lease factors on this model yet? My wife is convinced that we should lease (for the lower payment) and then buy if we decide we want to keep it. Our plans are to keep very low miles on the car - so a lease won't hurt and then trying to keep it for 40 years will be even easier then!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
godspeed06 said:
correct me if im wrong, but wouldnt you be paying insane amounts of interest over that period of time???
That would imply that purchasing this car is a RATIONAL decision! I never claimed that this purchase was very rational! I wouldn't categorize it as insane - but more than my prior generation would be willing to accept!

·
5,641 Posts
2Big4ARoadster said:
Also - does anyone know the lease factors on this model yet? My wife is convinced that we should lease (for the lower payment) and then buy if we decide we want to keep it. Our plans are to keep very low miles on the car - so a lease won't hurt and then trying to keep it for 40 years will be even easier then!
To early to have the GMAC's SmartLease program details. It will be much closer to the car's arrival before we know those numbers.

What you my want to spend your time checking up on is GMAC's SmartBuy (balloon note). May give you the "lower" payment you desire but with ownership. Has a sell back provision if you end up not wanting to keep. If you want to keep, has a automatic refinance provision. I recently elected to SmartBuy a G6 instead of SmartLease myself.

·
Registered
133 Posts
The bottom line on employee and supplier pricing program is that dealers elect to participate and may at their discretion honor the pricing on a given car or model, or not. So, if the Solstice remains a hot commodity, don't expect to get any kind of a discount. Especially if dealer allotments remain small.

Sorry if this has all been said before. Couldn't be bothered to read through the whole thread. ;)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts