Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

41 - 60 of 163 Posts

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Another thread prompted me to dig this one out and add a post.

Here are a couple of pics of my modified San Angelo Mighty Mini Haul It All Rack (available at Amazon and elsewhere). I simply had the (reversed) 1 1/4" ball mount welded to the carrier base in place of the 2" receiver insert. Makes the system lighter and more easily used, eliminating the 1 1/4" --> 2" adapter.

Enjoy. :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
^ looks good......i would have done the same...lol....but then again...aggies think alike...

just thought i would share....you can buy the hitches at hitchsource.com and get 10 percent off using the coupon code "hitchsource" during check out.

-J

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
^ looks good......i would have done the same...lol....but then again...aggies think alike...

just thought i would share....you can buy the hitches at hitchsource.com and get 10 percent off using the coupon code "hitchsource" during check out.

-J
Hey, when you think _right_, you think _right_! :thumbs: WHOOP!

·
Registered
198 Posts
1 1/4" Cargo Carrier

I found this Cargo Carrier to fit my 1 1/4" Hitch. It was designed for a ATV but looks like it will be perfect for our cars. It measures 20" x 36" and is raised so it sits above our exhausts.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thank you, thank you, thank you, I just ordered one from Draw-Tite. Going on vacation the end of the month towing my motorcycle pop-up camper and decided it would be more fun with the Solstice. Thanks for making it happen.

·
Premium Member
1,754 Posts
Thank you, thank you, thank you, I just ordered one from Draw-Tite. Going on vacation the end of the month towing my motorcycle pop-up camper and decided it would be more fun with the Solstice. Thanks for making it happen.
Can you post some pictures of your pop-up camper? Now that I have my hitch installed, I may be interested.

·
Premium Member
1,754 Posts
Here are some pictures of my new Draw Tite hitch and Boone golf/suitcase carrier. The suitcases are watertight (with a neoprene gasket all around.) I'm ready for Denver now. After I return from Denver, the main use will be for golf clubs.

Attachments

·
Registered
198 Posts
Carpe Diem that looks like a great system. Have you had any problems with the police about your plate being blocked? I C there is a place to remount the licence plate onto the carrier.

·
Premium Member
1,754 Posts
No problems yet because I haven't had it out on the road yet. I just got it assembled and installed a few days ago. I'll drive it around town here for a test drive, but the first real use will be next month when I head out for the Denver Nationals.

Yeah, I could remount the license plate on the carrier, but it would be a pain. Unless I get ticketed, I'll take my chances.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Looking good! Now all you need is a couple of little wheels on that think and you can slide it out of the receiver and roll it into the hotel.:thumbs:

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I just ordered a hitch from Auto Anything. They are running a Memorial Weekend Sale, 10% off sales over $150.00. That brought the price down to under $140.00 w/free shipping.

·
Founding Member
5,849 Posts
Here are some pictures of my new Draw Tite hitch and Boone golf/suitcase carrier. The suitcases are watertight (with a neoprene gasket all around.) I'm ready for Denver now. After I return from Denver, the main use will be for golf clubs.

Very nice! Reminds me of my 1st carrier which was a golfbag carrier:

Here's my new Curtis hitch with an ATV carrier:

·
Registered
397 Posts
I've been doing internet searches, and HitchesToGo dot com has the best price so far for Draw Tite 24833 at $143.22 with free shipping, with Ball Mount, Pin & Clip Included.

Anybody find a better price?

·
Premium Member
1,754 Posts
Luggage Rack Works Well

Well, I just got back from NASSM last night. I have to say that I am totally pleased with the Boone rack (see link to picture below.) I logged over 3K miles. The luggage rack works great and the waterproof suitcases (old Samsonites found at at a garage sale for $10 each) did the job well. For about two hours in Utah while driving between Moab and Torrey, it rained about as hard as I have ever driven in. The wipers couldn't clear the water away, and it was not flowing off a crowned road very fast. I had to slow down really slow to avoid hydroplaning, but the suitcases kept the insides perfectly dry.

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/attachments/f62/14956d1242166255-end-all-all-curt-trailer-hitch-accessories-thread-100_0057.jpg

·
Registered
772 Posts
Where arevyou finding the boone rack with the suitcases? All i can find is the boone rack with no suitcases. Thanks mike

·
Founding Member
5,849 Posts
I think you have to supply your own suitcases. :lol:

·
Premium Member
1,754 Posts
Where are you finding the Boone rack with the suitcases? All i can find is the Boone rack with no suitcases. Thanks mike
I think you have to supply your own suitcases. :lol:
They were two separate acquisitions. I found the suitcases first at a local garage sale quite a while before I found the Boone carrier. I had originally intended using the cases with my Classic Carrier luggage rack I had used on my '07 NA Sol. But the luggage rack wouldn't fit on my GXP because the OnStar antenna was in the way, so I went looking for another solution. Actually, the Boone carrier is designed for use with golf clubs.

I had been looking for waterproof suitcases for some time, and any that I found were either way too pricey, or just didn't fit my needs. What I found were old Samsonites (circa 1980s, I'd guess). I could not find any newer models from Samsonite (oar any other manufacturers) of similar design.

Also the back of my Sol gets a light dusting of soot after a while between washes, so I was kinda concerned about the suitcases getting all sooty from the exhaust. But to my pleasant surprise there was zero problem with soot on the suitcases.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Oh, o.k. i thought that the weather tite cases were part of the rack and then you put your own suitcases inside of them. I dont think the mrs. wants her samsonite hanging out out in the elements. Maybe thats why God made garbage bags.

41 - 60 of 163 Posts