Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

81 - 100 of 163 Posts

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Ok one question, I have covered all the bases as far as hitch installation goes and I located a trailer at Harbor Freight. My question. What is a real safe speed to pull the trailer at? Harbor Freight says max speed is 55 mph.. Id like to go at least the speed limit. Any suggestions? here is what Harbor Freight offers.

600 Lb. Capacity 78" Tag-Along Trailer

600 lb. load capacity for automotive and 200 lb. maximum capacity for motorcycle use
16.6 cubic feet of storage space
Heavy duty 4.80 x 8" tires
Universal 1-7/8" ball coupler
Leaf spring suspension system
Self-assisted hydraulic struts for easy lid opening
Lockable shell includes two keys and has two additional side latches
Includes coupler, safety chain, wiring harness, trailer light kit, and license plate holder
55 MPH maximum towing speed
That's a big trailer for this car... but doable. I have the 40"x48" Harbor Freight trailer that I use for autocrossing.

You'll need to upgrade to the 12" tires certainly, that will help with bearing life. Also, flush out all of the grease they have in the wheels bearings and do yourself a *huge* favor and pack them yourself with good quality grease. No clue what is in there, and my wheel bearing looked like they were packed with vasoline. You'll also want to remember to regrease them every year.

When you put the trailer together I'd used a little blue locktite and different nuts. Yes, the kits come with nylon locking nuts, and yes they work... but I check mine before every event to make sure things aren't loose. If you're not going to do that... get some nuts from the hardware store and locktite them, there's lots of vibration going on in that trailer as you haul it around.

·
Premium Member
880 Posts
I disagree. A data point is a data point. You never know who could find it useful someday. If in fact mine is lower than a stock draw tite then it would be interesting to see what yours is at lowered. Not telling you what to do with your time but I think the measurement is useful.

·
Premium Member
1,754 Posts
That's a big trailer for this car... but doable. I have the 40"x48" Harbor Freight trailer that I use for autocrossing.
Do you leave the hitch receiver assembly on the car while you are autocrossing? I wouldn't think so. Seems like all that extra weight would be anti-competitive.

I've taken mine off for my daily driving around town. I will put it back on for the next road trip I take. But I didn't like the extra 40 lbs. or so all the time.

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
Carpe... What do you do with the bolts when you take it off? Just remove and rethread them each time?

I just got mine "in the mail" yesterday and will mount this weekend. I was thinking I'd glob some epoxy in & around the bolt heads so I could remove the hitch more easily without losing the bolts up in the frame.

Anyone else done this? Gotchas?

·
Premium Member
880 Posts
i dont think that will really be a problem for you. i took my hitch on and off several times during the install. gravity keeps the bolts down and then just put the nuts on it to hold them there while the hitch is off.

are you going to measure the ground clearance afterwards????? if not, you are banned from this thread! :)

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
I will surely measure the height (I wouldn't want to be castigated - again!)

"Yes dear (you'll have to sew them back on first)" - Basil Fawlty

·
Premium Member
1,754 Posts
Carpe... What do you do with the bolts when you take it off? Just remove and rethread them each time?
i dont think that will really be a problem for you. i took my hitch on and off several times during the install. gravity keeps the bolts down and then just put the nuts on it to hold them there while the hitch is off.
:agree:
That's what I do.

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
OK, mounted my hitch yesterday. First I have to say WHAT A B*TCH TO REMOVE THE REAR EXHAUST MOUNTS! :cuss: :brentil: :cuss: Took me about an hour and a half and a fair amount of blood! The front ones, came right off though!

I measured my road clearance after mounting (and driving around to resettle the suspension). From the lowest point on the hitch - the emergency chain loops - the clearance is 7 7/8", but from the bottom of the hitch receiver (the square tube) the clearance is 8 1/4". So, Jeff, I get a little more clearance in exchange for a little more ugliness :)

UPDATE: More detail - Drawtite 24833 Sportframe Hitch (AKA Hidden Hitch, AKA Reese), Conti Extreme DSW tires (new), standard GXP suspension.

By the way, I got the hitch for $118 along with a Drawtite Cargo Carrier #63155 for $90 (plus $23 shipping) from HitchesToGo (.com). Cargo carrier is v.nice, with rails, but is a class II (vs. the class I hitch). Easy mod to make it fit though... just had to grind a 3/8" x 1/2" cut into one side of the carrier's tongue bar to bypass the tab in the hitch and allow it to go in far enough for the pin holes to line up :)

·
Registered
329 Posts
6 11/16" from the bottom of the emergency chain loops for me.
curt 11119 hitch, Z0K springs, stock bilsteins, stock chrome wheels, stock tires (4/32" tread).

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
I'm at 6.25" clearance to the bottom of the bar / safety chain plate.

Someone asked previously (sorry didn't go back to quote it) if I remove the hitch before an autocross event. Answer is no... no need to remove it. Yes, there is some added weight, but I lost that weight with my Solo exhaust, so no net gain... and frankly I don't have the time at an event to do this. Heck, sometimes I forget and leave in the receiver when on course!

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Ok one question, I have covered all the bases as far as hitch installation goes and I located a trailer at Harbor Freight. My question. What is a real safe speed to pull the trailer at? Harbor Freight says max speed is 55 mph.. Id like to go at least the speed limit. Any suggestions? here is what Harbor Freight offers.

600 Lb. Capacity 78" Tag-Along Trailer

600 lb. load capacity for automotive and 200 lb. maximum capacity for motorcycle use
16.6 cubic feet of storage space
Heavy duty 4.80 x 8" tires
Universal 1-7/8" ball coupler
Leaf spring suspension system
Self-assisted hydraulic struts for easy lid opening
Lockable shell includes two keys and has two additional side latches
Includes coupler, safety chain, wiring harness, trailer light kit, and license plate holder
55 MPH maximum towing speed
You should stay REAL close to that restriction since it has the 8" tires. I avoid H.F. since most of their stuff is a waste of metal, but I do have the small open trailer but chose the 12" wheels BECAUSE of the need for highway speeds.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
MG owners stick on hitches once in awhile and they also create trailers that suit the cars. One popular one is the rear of another MG on wheels.

I wonder if someone could incorporate the rear body of a Solstice into a trailer?

That is TOO cool. I REALLY like that guy's choice of late model REAR half and early model FRONT section.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Epic failure on my Drawtite hitch install. Pulled the back end of the solo mach exhaust, and mounted the hitch after drilling two holes in the frame and a trip to Home Depot for drill bits. Then installed the pro-beam, and got everything bolted down. Lastly, put the exhaust up, and bang, it hits the hitch. Hopefully the old Curt one will work with some modification. Anyone running this one with the Mach exhausts?

The first car had the Curt with the street race exhaust and the first Werks exhaust. No problems at all. It's not the hitch, just meant to work with the stock exhaust.

After thinking about it, I think I'm going to try to move the hitch to the rear a little more. Drill some more holes if necessary, trim some more of the fascia. Probably going to leave the exhaust on the hangers, but disconnect at the band clamp, until everything is set. That way I won't need a lot of room to put it into the hanger. Hoping that way I can make enough room to add the hitch.

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
MG owners stick on hitches once in awhile and they also create trailers that suit the cars. One popular one is the rear of another MG on wheels.

I wonder if someone could incorporate the rear body of a Solstice into a trailer?

That's a nice trailer. I've seen the back end of the Sol imitated into a smaller trailer version. With matching Wind Restrictor. Sorry I don't have a better picture of the entire thing, but you get the idea.

*edit - Actually, I did find a few side shots of it, a shot from behind it further away, and a few of the inside from back in 2006. This one is still a better pic though.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
Epic failure on my Drawtite hitch install. Pulled the back end of the solo mach exhaust, and mounted the hitch after drilling two holes in the frame and a trip to Home Depot for drill bits. Then installed the pro-beam, and got everything bolted down. Lastly, put the exhaust up, and bang, it hits the hitch. Hopefully the old Curt one will work with some modification. Anyone running this one with the Mach exhausts?

The first car had the Curt with the street race exhaust and the first Werks exhaust. No problems at all. It's not the hitch, just meant to work with the stock exhaust.

After thinking about it, I think I'm going to try to move the hitch to the rear a little more. Drill some more holes if necessary, trim some more of the fascia. Probably going to leave the exhaust on the hangers, but disconnect at the band clamp, until everything is set. That way I won't need a lot of room to put it into the hanger. Hoping that way I can make enough room to add the hitch.
You had to drill your own holes in the frame? You mean, the coupe is different here than the roadsters... or does the hitch mount up in a completely different location?

See... should just stick with the Curt hitch. They finally made a GXP version and dumped the old version which is what this thread is about (the original).

I'll have to check out your setup when we are in Canton in June. I will most likely be pulling my trailer, but not on any runs!

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
You had to drill your own holes in the frame? You mean, the coupe is different here than the roadsters... or does the hitch mount up in a completely different location?

See... should just stick with the Curt hitch. They finally made a GXP version and dumped the old version which is what this thread is about (the original).

I'll have to check out your setup when we are in Canton in June. I will most likely be pulling my trailer, but not on any runs!
It's not the coupe that is different, it's the 09's that are. The 07 had the holes in the frame already, mine didn't. My problem is that I think the bends for the tailpipes into the muffler are at different points between stock and Mach. I'm hoping moving the hitch further to the rear, and the tailpipes a little more flush with the fascia will give me enough room.

I'll be pulling a trailer too, hopefully.

·
Registered
88 Posts
trailer harness wiring

For anyone installing trailer wiring harness, In the wire bundle on the frame rail beside the passenger side rear tire
The wire colors match. Yellow to yellow left turn signal, green to green right turn signal, brown to brown brake and running light, ground the White wire.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Has anyone tried this basket carrier? 23x56 Railed Cargo Carrier for 1-1/4" (Class II) Trailer Hitches Rola Hitch Cargo Carrier 59507 for either the curt or drawtite hitch?

It has a 2" rise built in plus the basket floor looks like its mounted on the beam probably 2 or 2.5" higher so I think the basket floor should be above the exhaust. The carrier is 56" wide which puts the ends in line with the exhaust potentially.

Any thoughts for a wider basket as opposed to the 20x48 baskets out there?

Also has anyone installed the curt or drawtite hitch on a 07-08 gxp with solo mach exhaust? I'm thinking I might have to stick my head under and guesstimate clearance.

81 - 100 of 163 Posts