Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

121 - 140 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
So I installed the Solo Race exhaust (single outlet) and the Reese/Draw-Tite/HH that is supposed to work with the stock GXP exhaust... and they interfere. I can get one hanger on in the back but not the hanger furthest back. Anyone else have that combination and how did it fit/ how did you get it to work? The hitch went on really easily fwiw.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Has anyone wired up a connection for trailer brake lights without splicing into the car harness? There's one thread that mentions the HHR harness connector being similar, but I don't see any mention of an HHR T-connector being successfully used. There's also some mention of an active controller box, but I'm not seeing any success stories for that either. Is the only practical method to splice into the car harness for the 4 wires?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Anyone with a trailer light connector wired in care to comment?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Following in the footsteps of Flash's Owner (http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/flash-has-new-sibling-m-t-mobile-trunk-55219/index2.html), I found a scrapyard HHR to pirate a set of connectors off of. The front right corner was the location under the hood.

On the HHR, the connector only has 7 wires in the 8 wire locations. The 8th location has a plug in it. I found a 2 wire connector set in the back left corner near the firewall to use as donor contacts and wires for the 8th spot. The scrapyard charged $5 for both sets of male/female connectors. Also, the colors used on the HHR connectors will not be the same as the wire colors used on the Solstice. This isn't a problem, it just require beings careful when matching it up.

The parts counter guy at a Buick dealership found a mechanic familiar with the connectors. He took a few minutes and added the last wire into the connector for me.

I used a wiring harness from U-Haul. It has LEDs to show that each plug connector wire works. That's a nice easy way to check out the wiring without needing a multimeter or connecting to a trailer. It also has a dirt cap for the connector when not in use.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Is there room to cut a notch out of the hitch? I seem to recall someone had to do that for one of the hitches and one of the exhausts.

Any pics?
Yeah ..that was me. the Curt hitch will not fit with a Solo NA axle back..if that's the Solo you're using.
I ended up cutting a square hole out of the driver side vertical support. Then the 180 degree bend in the supplied Solo exhaust bolted right up. Just eyeballed and estimated the hole size. I got lucky.
I jumped up and down on the luggage carrier I made, no issues with the hitch. The vertical part on driver side is wide and thick, so structurally it's sound. The Solo guys offered to exchange the muffler for a shorter Mach, which they didn't have to do..I made it work anyway.
Now we can carry several suitcases on the back JC
JC

·
Registered
347 Posts
I'm getting either the Draw-Tite (#24833) or Hidden Hitch (#60224) put on my GXP in the near future for around $200, installed.

My question is in regards to the cargo carrier. I am looking at an ATV carrier (#TR65852). The drawback is that it is smaller (20" x 36") than the typical (20" x 48") carriers but I am thinking that the built in 7-1/2" rise will be a positive factor and also there won't be a problem with blocking any turn signals, etc., that might occur with a 4' carrier. I think the aesthetics will be better with the smaller carrier as opposed to the larger one, as our cars are thinner than 48" in the back.

Does anyone else out there in KappaLand have this carrier? If so, does it perform well? Likewise, does anyone with the full-sized carriers have any thoughts about the size and weight of theirs?

·
Registered
284 Posts
TomShadow, I am also looking to have a hitch installed on my 07 GXP in the near future. I think I will go with a small trailer to carry the necessary supplies. H***** F****** has one on sale for $349.99, has a carrying capacity of 600 pounds, and is lockable and watertight. The reviews are fairly positive, average of 4.5 stars from 53 reviews.

·
Registered
7,030 Posts
Make sure the carrier you get is a 1 1/4" tongue to match the hitch - not a 2" one.

I think most of the HF ones are 2".

·
Registered
347 Posts
Gordon: I checked out 'H-F' a couple weeks ago and they have an ATV carrier like the one I was looking at online for $100 less, so thinking about getting that one. I'm trying to keep it simple (and cheap) so that's why I'm just getting the carrier. I don't want to deal with hooking up lights, etc., for a trailer. I'm hoping your selection will work out good for you and I'll check it out when I see you two in June.

Tomato: I don't have any experience with hitches and accessories, but I do know that they make adapters that will turn a 1 1/4" tongue to a 2" one. I do assume that the extra part will mean a little more 'jiggle' to the apparatus. Are there any other pitfalls to using an adapter?

·
Registered
7,030 Posts
Tomato: I don't have any experience with hitches and accessories, but I do know that they make adapters that will turn a 1 1/4" tongue to a 2" one. I do assume that the extra part will mean a little more 'jiggle' to the apparatus. Are there any other pitfalls to using an adapter?
Yes they do. But you'd need an adapter that changes a 2" tongue to a 1 1/4" one - which they DON'T make. So make sure you get the right carrier size in the first place.

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
: I don't have any experience with hitches and accessories, but I do know that they make adapters that will turn a 1 1/4" tongue to a 2" one. I do assume that the extra part will mean a little more 'jiggle' to the apparatus. Are there any other pitfalls to using an adapter?
They also sell a "wedge" that attaches to the hitch receiver that takes care of the slack. I ordered one when I ordered the hitch, carrier, etc.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
233 Posts
found hitch and cargo carrier on E-TRAILER for good price has anyone used this company? what was service like?

·
Registered
984 Posts
found hitch and cargo carrier on E-TRAILER for good price has anyone used this company? what was service like?
I bought mine there as well ... it shipped and had a few bolts missing ... contacted them and they shipped out a complete new set .. so IMO .. good service and the best price I found.

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
Just a note for everyone, after I mounted mine I filled the frame rails with light density spray foam like used to insulate homes. I sprayed until the foam came out everwere. Doing this cemented all the nuts in place. so if you want to take the hitch off for a better look it will be easy to put it back on. this works well. I just leave mine on all the time they fit so close I don't think they look that bad

·
Super Moderator
16,344 Posts
I have used E trailer and had good experience. They delivered on time and as promised.

I have installed several hitches on club cars. They all fit well and as stated above leaving them on all the time is not an issue. Unless you are Punisher. :devil:

If you have a steep driveway or lowered car, the hitch will occasionally drag on the pavement. Not a big issue. Just a litle irritating.

Some exhaust systems may need to be adjusted to clear the hitch. With factory they are all fine.

I had one hitch that came in contact with the DDM ProBeam but I addressed that by clearancing the ProBeam with a grinding wheel. About an eighth of an inch and it was fine.

Because of the design of the lighting, the easiest way to hook up the lights is to buy an "active" controller from a source like E trailer. These active controllers are powered separately and sense the state of the tails to turn on the trailer lights. This implementation does not add an extra load on the BCM light feed so both the tails and the trailer lights work correctly.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Has anyone installed one of these hitches on a NA that has the GM Performance (GMPP) cat-back exhaust (http://www.pfyc.com/PS5003.html)? I'm unclear if the curt hitch for the NA still fits after changing out the exhaust.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Too bad you're not closer to STL; you could try mine on for size, and take it home if it fits.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Too bad you're not closer to STL; you could try mine on for size, and take it home if it fits.
Out of curiosity, why are you no longer using it? Originally bought my solstice when I lived in Springfield, MO btw :)

·
Premium Member
573 Posts
I'm considering the Curt 11114. It's for the GXP but assume it'll fit the 2.4NA car as well since the GXP seems to be the one with clearance issues around extra equipment.

121 - 140 of 166 Posts