Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

141 - 160 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I had to replace my Curt hitch because it is narrower than the frame, and my Solo cat-back muffler is just a bit wider than the frame. I found another with the mounts bent to the inside, making it just barely fit around the new muffler.

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
I ended up going with the Curt 11119 which I just finished installing. Bolt fishing was easy and a neat trick I'll have to remember for other situations in the future!

My only question is about a snug fit for the stock (I assume) 2.4 muffler between the two drop down brackets. It fit but the hangers on the muffler are SNUGLY wedged between the two brackets. I was thinking of heating the muffler hangers and tweaking them inward a quarter inch to free the exhaust up a bit but wondered if it was really necessary. Am I likely to damage anything if I just leave it for now?

·
Premium Member
1,778 Posts
I'm considering a trailer for the GXP for hauling tools & tires + wheels to the track. The car is lowered a little over an inch (BC coilovers). I'd rather not spend 60% of the useful life of my RE71's driving to and from events.

Does anyone know how the weight of a small (like, 40x48" Harbor Fraught) trailer with ~200lbs of equipment on it is going to affect the rear ride height? Also, is that something that's safe at Texas highway speeds? (Or, alternatively, suggest another trailer? I don't have a ton of space to store one of these things. All I need to carry is a tool box / storage bin, four wheels and a floor jack.) (And maybe an air compressor.) (And a four-post lift.) (And a bar.)

Not sure if this video's been shared before, but I found it helpful:

·
Registered
419 Posts
............(And a bar.)............

If the bar is completely stocked, I would suggest just starting out with about three (3) 32 gallon kegs and one tapper.

:party: :party: :party: :glol: :glol: :glol:

(I just couldn't resist)

·
Super Moderator
7,151 Posts
With 200lb of stuff the trailer is going to gross about 400lb, so the normal tongue weight would be about 40lb, and for short distances in good conditions you can probably cut that to just about zero. Even at full tongue weight I don't think you will have any problems but you won't know for certain until you try it.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Yes they do. But you'd need an adapter that changes a 2" tongue to a 1 1/4" one - which they DON'T make. So make sure you get the right carrier size in the first place.
I know this is an old post, but they do make a 2 to 1-1/4 adapter; it's a square tube that slides into the 2" and has an internal measurement of 1-1/4
Bill

·
Super Moderator
7,151 Posts
I know this is an old post, but they do make a 2 to 1-1/4 adapter; it's a square tube that slides into the 2" and has an internal measurement of 1-1/4
Bill
I think that he was referring to going the other direction, since most carriers have a 2" male mount and the hitch receiver that fits a Kappa is (I believe) a 1-1/4" female.

·
Premium Member
3,849 Posts

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I think that he was referring to going the other direction, since most carriers have a 2" male mount and the hitch receiver that fits a Kappa is (I believe) a 1-1/4" female.
yep, there is one of those too.... HF has both versions
Bill

·
Registered
121 Posts
Has anyone tried a turndown exhaust tip to keep the exhaust heat off of a rear cargo carrier? I have followed a lot of the hitch and cargo carrier discussions over the years and never seen this as a possible solution. I have an 06 NA Solstice - single exhaust. I installed a Curt receiver hitch years ago. I have had a carrier for a few years but never used it. If I install the carrier inline (actually it does have a small rise) it will be directly inline with the exhaust as many of you know. I have installed with a riser which solves that problem but creates another problem. Items on the carrier block the license plate. With the carrier installed inline or just above will a turndown tip solve the heat problem? Also with the carrier inline or just above, mounted close to the vehicle (no extender) would there be a possible dragging problem. I guess I could figure this out by trial and error but there is a lot of experience and wisdom to be had from forum members. I figure someone has already been there and done that.

·
Registered
121 Posts
It is my understanding that in many (if not all) states obscuring or blocking the view of a license plate is illegal and may get you a ticket.

·
Registered
65 Posts
It is my understanding that in many (if not all) states obscuring or blocking the view of a license plate is illegal and may get you a ticket.
I use my cargo carrier for runs to/from Lowes / Home Depot. I suppose if I use it for long trips, I might put the license plate onto the cargo carrier.

On the other hand we have driven all over the south with a our minivan and a bike rack carrying 4 bikes that definitely obscured the tag and we never have been stopped, so maybe I ought not worry about the cargo carrier.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I guess it depends on the police officer. I have hauled bikes on racks that have obscured the plates many times myself and never got a ticket. But I believe in many states it is "technically" illegal. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Has anyone tried a turndown exhaust tip to keep the exhaust heat off of a rear cargo carrier? I have followed a lot of the hitch and cargo carrier discussions over the years and never seen this as a possible solution.
Not tried that, but it seems an expensive way to go.

In my case I just attached some strips of aluminum, cut off a roll of gutter flashing, to deflect the exhaust heat.

·
Registered
121 Posts
That looks like what most people have done TomatoSoup. Did it completely solve the problem? I just wondered if anyone had tried the turndown tip. Yes it would be more expensive and maybe difficult on a GXP because of the exhaust tip shape but I don't think it would be too difficult on a 06 NA.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Are the exhaust exits really all that different? Or are there just two of them?

I personally don't care nearly as much as some here about the appearance of their car, but I imagine installing and removing turn-downs would almost certainly mar the finish on the tips over time, beyond even what I would consider acceptable.

·
Premium Member
1,778 Posts
Take your front plate (which should never actually be mounted on the car) and mount it to the trailer. :D

Reactions: Saveaux
141 - 160 of 166 Posts