Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the end of production of the Camaro and the Firebird do you think that the Solstice and Curve might be models to replace these in GM's Sports car line ups. Might there even be a Chevy version in the wings? Just thinking out loud.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
aawil said:
I think there still planning on bringing a camaro back. Probably one of those god awful retro cars.
Someone posted the other day on the Fiero forum that they found an article indicating that the Camaro will return on the Zeta platform in the 2006/2007 time frame. It will basically be a Chevy version of the next GTO. Firebird will remain dead.

Although the Solstice and Saturn's version are definately new sports cars, but I do not see them replacing the F-bodies. For the most part they attract a different audience. The GTO is more of a replacement for the Firebird and Camaro, satisfying those who want big V8 power in their idea sports car. This replacement will be more evident after the GTO and the rumored Camaro version move to the Zeta platform and they have styling befitting those two nameplates.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
I think there still planning on bringing a camaro back. Probably one of those god awful retro cars.
If it's as "retro" as the new Mustang and looked like a sixties Camaro, I wouldn't mind. Just don't make it look like a fifties Porsche! :smile

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
DreamerDave said:
If it's as "retro" as the new Mustang and looked like a sixties Camaro, I wouldn't mind. Just don't make it look like a fifties Porsche! :smile
I personaly hope they go after the '70 to '72 flavor Camero. Love that car. I doubt it though, for the same reasons they are not likely to recreate the '67 Charger.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Fformula88 said:
Someone posted the other day on the Fiero forum that they found an article indicating that the Camaro will return on the Zeta platform in the 2006/2007 time frame. It will basically be a Chevy version of the next GTO. Firebird will remain dead.

Although the Solstice and Saturn's version are definately new sports cars, but I do not see them replacing the F-bodies. For the most part they attract a different audience. The GTO is more of a replacement for the Firebird and Camaro, satisfying those who want big V8 power in their idea sports car. This replacement will be more evident after the GTO and the rumored Camaro version move to the Zeta platform and they have styling befitting those two nameplates.
Think Chevy SS concept, which makes the most sense off the Zeta platform.
http://www.auto.com/photos/2003/chevyss/06chevyss.jpg

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
That SS concept has never floated my boat. (Yes, I know, I own an Aztek so how can I comment on other car's styling...blah blah blah)

Those curving bulges over the wheel just don't look good in person. I saw it at the Dallas auto show. I have the same problem with the RX-8. Looks good in photos, looks bad in person.

In fact, after seeing the Solstice, no other concept or car looks good anymore. I was gung ho for a 05 mustang convertible, and they are still handsome, but I'm so hooked on the Solstice I could never buy anything else now.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
AztekzRpurty said:
That SS concept has never floated my boat. (Yes, I know, I own an Aztek so how can I comment on other car's styling...blah blah blah)

Those curving bulges over the wheel just don't look good in person. I saw it at the Dallas auto show. I have the same problem with the RX-8. Looks good in photos, looks bad in person.

In fact, after seeing the Solstice, no other concept or car looks good anymore. I was gung ho for a 05 mustang convertible, and they are still handsome, but I'm so hooked on the Solstice I could never buy anything else now.
This from a guy who bought an Aztek, and whose user handle "extolls the virtue of beauty-in-the-eye-of-the-beerholder"? :lol :rolleyes :wink :glol :jester :smile :thumbs

sorry, just couldn't resist...

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I think they will have to go another direction than the SS concept. It looks way too much like an RX-8 ripoff. I dunno how successful it was on the show circuit, but it leave me wanting. They need to bring it more in line with 60's and 70's Camaros. It doesn't have to be a full retro vehicle, but it should at least be recognizable as one and not recognizable as an import.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
solsticeman said:
Think Chevy SS concept, which makes the most sense off the Zeta platform.
http://www.auto.com/photos/2003/chevyss/06chevyss.jpg
A 4-door Camaro??!! Just imagine the uproar that would cause in trailer parks from coast-to-coast! :smash :glol :jester

They better not even think of building that concept on the Zeta platform and calling it the revival of the Camaro

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
AztekzRpurty said:
:agree Tone the fenders down and then maybe. 4 door Camero? Agree that it should be close to traditional Cameros and not some sort of import fighter. Has to be V8 also.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I personally can not wait for the solstice to get on the streets. What a great new platform. That being said, they are definitely not a replacement for the f-body's. Chevy will have a camaro replacement off of Zeta.

My question is this, since GM can't use camaro or firebird names anymore, what will they call the new car???

·
Registered
7 Posts
Theres a lotta controversy over whether the name can still be used or not, I believe that GM found a loop hole. With that being said, heres what the most current leaks of info have produced.
http://www.cheersandgears.com/phr_1.jpg
http://www.cheersandgears.com/phr_2.jpg
Several people "in the know" have dropped clues as to what direction the car might take...and thats what everyones going on at the moment...guess we'll see in '07.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
AFor89Mula said:
Theres a lotta controversy over whether the name can still be used or not, I believe that GM found a loop hole. With that being said, heres what the most current leaks of info have produced.
http://www.cheersandgears.com/phr_1.jpg
http://www.cheersandgears.com/phr_2.jpg
Several people "in the know" have dropped clues as to what direction the car might take...and thats what everyones going on at the moment...guess we'll see in '07.
Like those renderings much better than the SS concept. They still need a little cleaning up though, kinda busy profile. Not bad... could give Mustang a run for the money, just like the old days. :thumbs

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
solsticeman said:
This from a guy who bought an Aztek, and whose user handle "extolls the virtue of beauty-in-the-eye-of-the-beerholder"? :lol :rolleyes :wink :glol :jester :smile :thumbs

sorry, just couldn't resist...

Like I said, blah blah blah.... :smile

Maybe I should change my sig to 'crazy people can have opinions too!'

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
AeroDave said:
Like those renderings much better than the SS concept. They still need a little cleaning up though, kinda busy profile. Not bad... could give Mustang a run for the money, just like the old days. :thumbs
Those renderings remind me a lot of the 2005 Mustange. I dunnot if its because of the round headlights in the front, or just the fact that the rendering is using a lot of classic styling themes from old Camaros. I don't mean that to be bad either, a production car based on those renderings, with a little bit of work, would look good IMO.

But we all know, all divisions will be getting a Kappa sports car. We have seen the rumors all over, Pontiac 2+2's, Alfa Romeos, Daewoo, Cadillac, etc. So I am going to start the rumor that the next Camaro will be built on a stretched Kappa platform packing an LS2 squeezed in under the hood! :jester

1 - 20 of 36 Posts