Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Just changed mine on the 06na and 09 na. The 06 na has only 36,000 miles but its also 10 years old. In order to change the compressor belt, (which had small cracks on the inside) you have to take off the power steering belt first. I decided to change both at the same time.

·
Administrator
9,696 Posts
Inspect them and replace them when you see cracks in either one. Or if you're worried about them. They aren't that expensive.

Reactions: wildfiglane

·
Administrator
9,696 Posts
For a "normal" car, or rather a car driven "normally", 150k miles is pretty reasonable, but belts - and hoses - age from age as well as use.
There are 10-year-old cars around with 20-25k miles on them, and it is possible that their belts are candidates for replacement.
It is equally possible that they won't need belts until they do reach 150k miles. In another 30 or 40 years.

I inspect the belts hoses and wiring at every oil change, which is now an annual event, and replace what looks questionable.

·
Administrator
9,696 Posts
Yes, but it also seems weird to have a label on the sun visor about putting children in the back seat .......
On that note, I rode in a coworker's new MX5 last week and it has the same label.

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
I remember when repair shops and auto part stores had belts and hoses hanging all over their walls. They don't anymore, and there's a reason: belts and hoses are made of better material now. I have a 14 year old pickup with 190k miles on it. It still has the original belt and hoses on it. :surprise:

·
Registered
6,050 Posts
Yes, but it also seems weird to have a label on the sun visor about putting children in the back seat .......
On that note, I rode in a coworker's new MX5 last week and it has the same label.
I'd wager the content of that decal is a "government mandate" for all vehicles.

Either that or the car companies just make one label and put it on everything because it's cheaper than different stickers for different vehicles, crew cabs versus standard cabs, etc.

·
Registered
6,050 Posts
Funny like when my grandson was visiting last summer and I was going to take him for a spin in the Solstice and he asked if he had to sit in the back....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts