Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2.0 litre Turbo, charge tubes, GMPP intake, Trifecta tuned, Solo HFC, Solo Race Exhaust.

ive developed a bog/choke/loss of power when into boost. Car pulls up to 21 lbs of boost and then a sudden loss of power. Let off and it’s fine. Almost like the fuel gets cut off. No codes. No lights.

Checked all the connections, All claps tight Including the throttle elbow. Intercooler is not ballooned. Don’t see any cut vac lines to the boost controller.

Tried turning off the Trifecta tune, still get a bog/stumble but not as pronounced.

Have also tried cleaning the MAF. Had a DDM braised line fuel filter on, though it might have been clogged. Took it off with no changes to above condition.

Thought it was the fuel. Used up the old tank and refilled with 94 octane. No change.

Any thoughts on the condition? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
7,544 Posts
What condition is your air filter?

Can you monitor anything? Knowing mass air flow at the point where the problem happens could be diagnostic.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey John, no way to log The event.
Air filter has the prefilter bag on it, prefilter and air filter itself don’t look dirty. about 5000 miles on the filter.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
Have you bought gas from anywhere different than you have in the past? Had a similar issue a few years ago after buying hi-test gas at an out of the way gas station.

Took 3 or 4 tanks of gas after that before it started running right. No codes came up here either.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Bob...Just the normal Petro Can 94. But to be fair, it's still mostly the same tank from last year.

·
Super Moderator
7,544 Posts
Hey Bob...Just the normal Petro Can 94. But to be fair, it's still mostly the same tank from last year.
Fuel does degrade over time, so that could be your problem.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Take your car to your local Autozone or auto parts store and have them plug in to your OBD2 port and see if you have any codes. Most of these places will do this for free. If you car was stored outside, you may want to try a bottle of dry gas in your tank in case you have any moisture in it.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Worth trying John. But from a mechanical sense where would be reasonable places to look...MAF, MAP, HPFP, boost controller, vac lines?

·
Registered
104 Posts
You might try this: Pull the MAP sensors and the Purge solenoid and inspect the O-rings for deterioration and/or 'dryness'. Then coat them with a silicone grease to assure a good seal. This was a subject that was discussed last year about March or so. If these O-rings 'leak by' you have a lean condition occurring and will give you (at least in part) loss of power, poor throttle response and no boost. They might give you a P0106 code, but might not, but poor running will definitely occur. Good luck!
grandpop09

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Grandpop, thanks for the tips and insight. I will certainly have a look at these items as well. Any little thing could help!

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
How many miles? No CEL? Last time plugs were changed? Spark plugs, while 100k, are not in turbo cars. They last about 25-40k depending on driver. Could have carbon on the valves if north of 60k.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Plugs replaced about 7500kms ago. Pulled them and had a look. All look good, gap is correct.
no CEL...strange.
Valves do have some carbon on them, but not terribly bad. Had a good look at them when I pulled the intake a couple years back.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Do you have an aftermarket Charge Air Cooler? If it's warm and humid at your location, you may be condensing water inside of the CAC and sucking slugs of it into the intake. The stock CAC has a couple of pipes at the bottom to separate the water from the charge air to help meter it through the induction air so as to not to limit performance. I don't think I've seen this feature on most aftermarket coolers.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just a stock IC. I had a quick look at it for ballooning and/or damage. From what I can see, it fine, but that doesn’t mean there isn’t a leak in it at pressure, but I would think that would return CEL.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts