Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking for code readers the price e varies from downright cheap and probably no good to very high. Any suggestions on a decent code reader for 2006 solstice?

·
Registered
263 Posts
I have a pocket size MAC Tools code reader. I think it cost me like 45 bucks. Its pretty food and actually gives you a description of the code even for being so small. It also does readiness tests, clears, reads VIN, etc. I'll have to remember to get the part number from work tomorrow...

Sent from my IdeaTabA2109A using AutoGuide App

·
Registered
984 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,390 Posts
In my experience, the electronics are generally similar, the difference is in ihe software.

There are "standards" codes that may be used by all manufacturers. But each manufacturer (of cars not readers) tends to have their unique codes. The more eensive readers will generally give you a better translation of the code meaning. The cheaper ones just return the code and you have to go find out what the code means.

The OBD2 standard insures that the codes are readable but not necessarily comprehensible.

So if you get P1010 you have to research what that code means, thrn generally go to the forum to learn what caused it and how others have fixed it.

Any reader built to the standard will connect, read codes and generally let you reset a code. The difference is in the software.

·
Registered
6,939 Posts
I use a laptop - you just need an interface cable and a program that reads.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I have an innova 31xx reader, works well. Plenty of people are headed the laptop/smart phone route these days as well.

If all you want is code reading a cheaper one will probably do just fine. If you want more features get a more expensive one.

·
Vendor
1,394 Posts
We have a bunch of different readers here at the shop that we have aquired over the years, my favorite for quick code reading is our Actron CP9180. We bought it at Advance a couple years back when they had them on sale for half off. It is also nice because it shows enhanced DTC's, can datalog and also display real time data. So we can quickly see what is going on without taking the time to get the laptop to come up.

Of course if we are doing anything more complicated, the laptop comes out with HPtuners/EFIlive and we log with those.

Hope that helps,
Dave

·
Registered
5,430 Posts
I've been nosing around for information also, especially here on the forum. The fun thing is Mrs. Wire has suggested a laptop for her continuing Ed. work on line.

I'm thinking the proverbial "win/win" is near.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts