Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple weeks ago I got an engine light p0101 . cleaned the sensors and then got another code p2178 . I checked everything and tightened clamps .Still there . took it to the dealer Tuesday morning ,they called me about 3:00PM telling me the intercooler has a crack in it form an inpack . Has to be from the accident last year in West Virginia W/ the guard rails . I took almost a year to show up. Now I'm in Florida till Saturday bringing my PT Home. Oil change , service inspection, a few other things .Total for all is almost 1,600 dollars . Will be back by Monday or Tuesday.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
If I were you, I would personally look at the "impact damage" and confirm that is the case.

The OEM IC tends to split the end tank seam on the passenger side. This is a known failure point and not uncommon. If this is a failure of the OEM IC, then it is covered by the 100,000 mile power train warranty. Do a search on the forum, we have had several cases of failed OEM ICs. I have personally had two fail (one from a split end tank and one that "mushroomed" in the middle).

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
If your out of warranty you can always plead your case with your insurance company and see if theyll do a suplement for it....

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
You can get an IC from one of the aftermarket vendors here for much less than $1600.00.
Prices range from $500.00 to $950.00.

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
If I were you, I would personally look at the "impact damage" and confirm that is the case.

The OEM IC tends to split the end tank seam on the passenger side. This is a known failure point and not uncommon. If this is a failure of the OEM IC, then it is covered by the 100,000 mile power train warranty. Do a search on the forum, we have had several cases of failed OEM ICs. I have personally had two fail (one from a OEM IC tends to split the end tank seam on the passenger side.).
I just got home from Florida W/my PT .going to pick it up this morning,They are saving the IC for me. Before I even look at it I'm going to tell them about the OEM IC tends to split the end tank seam on the passenger side and. two fail (one from a split end tank and one that "mushroomed" in the middle).

LV / , I had some other thing fixed as well included in the total cost.

I'm also going to talk to the Insurance Co.

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I/C damage

Going to try and post pictures here . I may have to get my Puter Guru to resize them . 1st picture the split at the tank end ,2nd picture where they said was impacked why didn't the lower pipe get damage ,3rd picture has the same type of mark in it. Now my service writer says it is not covered. Was a factory defect with a TSB. He also said TSB's only alert you and dealer . I smell a smoke screen .

Attachments

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I made contact with my Ins. Co. about the impact damage. they sent all info to claims from last years accident . They called me Friday and I'm getting a check for 1,537.00 thats the total less the 79.95 charge for Oil change. I guess its true what they say ( If you don't ask you will never know )

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Glad you got compensated. But the cracked end seam is very typical of the known failure point of the OEM IC. You can do a forum search and find several pictures that are virtually identical, including mine.

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Glad you got compensated. But the cracked end seam is very typical of the known failure point of the OEM IC. You can do a forum search and find several pictures that are virtually identical, including mine.
Yep i've read that , so now I may get an upgraded I/C and sell the new ont to someone that needs an " OEM " just for Transportation .

·
Registered
728 Posts
Some times our side wins...:D great story and an excellent pursuit to find out out what happened..AND to chase those dollars down even after 1 year!! Great job!:D

·
Registered
292 Posts
JohnRR and I send are best.
Glad it worked out. We were there
when you took the rail.
LLLFLY

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just another failed IC with codes P0101 and P2178

Issue with IC crack on passenger side causing codes P0101 and occasionally P2178 over the past weekend. You will also likely have boost in partial limp mode with boost only up to 5 pounds.

I did the DIY pressure check and found the crack right away with the front facia removed.

Just broke over 140k miles on my GXP with aftermarket tune (bought it with it already programmed with unknown history) so maybe I have been lucky to last so long. Time for upgrade!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts