Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My engine cover has developed a bit of an annoying rattle. This one is held down by 3 studs that attach to the rubber grommets on the underside of the cover. I’ve read comments here that mentioned 4 metal studs where used to attach their cover. Am I missing a mounting point? Can anyone confirm that there are only 3 metal studs to attach the plastic cover? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
612 Posts
My engine cover has developed a bit of an annoying rattle. This one is held down by 3 studs that attach to the rubber grommets on the underside of the cover. I’ve read comments here that mentioned 4 metal studs where used to attach their cover. Am I missing a mounting point? Can anyone confirm that there are only 3 metal studs to attach the plastic cover? Thanks in advance!
My 2.0 turbo has 4....

Here's a link:
https://www.gmpartscenter.net/oem-parts/gm-stud-ball-11609319/?c=Zz1lbmdpbmUmcz1lbmdpbmUtYXBwZWFyYW5jZS1jb3ZlciZpPUlHMDcxODU1JnI9MyZhPXNhdHVybiZvPXNreSZ5PTIwMDgmdD1yZWQtbGluZSZlPTItMGwtbDQtZ2Fz

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,433 Posts
I'm pretty sure the 2.4 engine cover only has 3 studs. I could be wrong. If you really need to know for sure I'll go out to the garage and take mine off see, but I'd prefer to let the sleeping dog lie.

Verified: 3 studs (2 at front of engine, 1 at rear) with 3 additional little round bumpers under the cover that just rest on the engine.

:dunno:

·
Registered
612 Posts
I'm pretty sure the 2.4 engine cover only has 3 studs. I could be wrong. If you really need to know for sure I'll go out to the garage and take mine off see, but I'd prefer to let the sleeping dog lie.

:dunno:

Went into GMpartscenter.com and plugged in the 2.4 and this came up, seems they both have 4. Item 4 in the diagram are the stud balls.

PRODUCT DETAILS
Positions: Left Front, Left Rear, Right Front, Right Rear
Other Names: Sight Shield Stud, Bracket Stud, Cover Stud, Engine Cover Ball Stud, Stud
Description: 2.0L. 6.0L. 3.6L, #2. 3.0L, rear. 3.6L, side. 3.0L & 3.6L. 2.4L, front. 3.6L twin-turbo. 3.6L, gas, front. 4.8, 5.3, 6.0 & 6.2L. Inverter & components. 6.2L without supercharger.

Notes: Included With Engine Cover Bracket. Included With Rear Bracket.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
My '06 2.4 has only three. Actually, that should be had since I removed one to install the DDM valley cover.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,433 Posts
GMpartscenter.com was wrong, I physically removed my cover to look/see, and there were only 3. 2006 Solstice 2.4 1st 1000.

:thumbs:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Went into GMpartscenter.com and plugged in the 2.4 and this came up, seems they both have 4. Item 4 in the diagram are the stud balls.

PRODUCT DETAILS
Positions: Left Front, Left Rear, Right Front, Right Rear
Other Names:Sight Shield Stud, Bracket Stud, Cover Stud, Engine Cover Ball Stud, Stud
Description: 2.0L. 6.0L. 3.6L, #2. 3.0L, rear. 3.6L, side. 3.0L & 3.6L. 2.4L, front. 3.6L twin-turbo. 3.6L, gas, front. 4.8, 5.3, 6.0 & 6.2L. Inverter & components. 6.2L without supercharger.

Notes: Included With Engine Cover Bracket. Included With Rear Bracket.

What’s confusing here is the diagram is using a number for reference to find the description on the same page. It’s not referring to quantity. I saw the same thing today at a GM site. It’s three studs on the 2.4. My cover feels very loose and always felt they cheated on the number of hold down locations.

·
Registered
612 Posts
What’s confusing here is the diagram is using a number for reference to find the description on the same page. It’s not referring to quantity. I saw the same thing today at a GM site. It’s three studs on the 2.4. My cover feels very loose and always felt they cheated on the number of hold down locations.
I hear ya, I was just passing on what GMpartscenter and GMpartsdirect notes:

PRODUCT DETAILS
Positions: (1)Left Front, (2)Left Rear, (3)Right Front, (4)Right Rear

2 left and 2 right is 4. Apparently GM wants you to buy more than needed..... :grin:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am wondering if anyone knows where I can get the 2 small rubber parts that attach the engine cover to the pin. These seem to show up as item #2 and #3 in diagrams showing the engine cover, but I can never see part numbers and seem to be part of the entire engine cover (which I do not need).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts