Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

Engine detailing

3K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Auguy21 
#1 ·
The secret in engine detailing is to use a water based dressing to seal the plastic and rubber after degreasing. The owner was amazed when he picked up this car.

See less See more
#7 ·
I didn't really get any response from last time, and I figured it's been long enough to where I should try asking again seeing how spring is coming up and I bet some people would like to know as well as myself. What exactly is the best way to go about cleaning and detailing your engine bay? And what cleaners do you suggest. Thanks.

#8 ·
I use mild car wash soap, sprayed through a yard chemical pressure sprayer (low pressure spray), with warm water, on a cool engine. I'll then use the same low pressure spray to rinse. If there is a tough greasy spot, I'll use simple green or Foamy Engine Brite. In the last 3 years, I sold a '93 Jeep with 125,000 miles on it and a 99 Silverado with over 120,000. I did this at least every three months, and it never, ever, caused a problem, and the engines looked great and added resale value. I'll do the same with my Solstice.

#10 ·
turbomangt said:
The secret in engine detailing is to use a water based dressing to seal the plastic and rubber after degreasing. The owner was amazed when he picked up this car.

Looks awesome ....

#13 · (Edited)
Re:

DanW said:
I use mild car wash soap, sprayed through a yard chemical pressure sprayer (low pressure spray), with warm water, on a cool engine. I'll then use the same low pressure spray to rinse. If there is a tough greasy spot, I'll use simple green or Foamy Engine Brite. In the last 3 years, I sold a '93 Jeep with 125,000 miles on it and a 99 Silverado with over 120,000. I did this at least every three months, and it never, ever, caused a problem, and the engines looked great and added resale value. I'll do the same with my Solstice.

I sooooo agree concerning resale value. A used-car buyer's first impression is critical! In '03, I sold my '93 Explorer w/ 170,000 miles in a week. I believe the quick sale was due to the detail job...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.