Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

21 - 40 of 148 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
The best I have for diagnostic tools is a dvm, a handheld code reader and software for a "Dash Command", had nice laptop software at one time, still have thee cable. I'll follow everyone's suggestions over the next few days.

Tks again.

·
Super Moderator
5,955 Posts
I have three volumes. If I had three complete sets, I might need to get rid of my LEGOs.
'06 Sol = 2 Volumes, '07 Sky = 2 Volumes, '08 M-Car = 3 Volumes.
Plus Lego: Bricks from the '60s, some kits from the '70s, and Technic/Expert Builder from the '80s and '90s.

·
Premium Member
1,669 Posts
My ‘07 set for sky and solstice is three volumes.

I’ll snap a pic when I get home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
5,955 Posts
The best I have for diagnostic tools is a dvm, a handheld code reader and software for a "Dash Command", had nice laptop software at one time, still have thee cable. I'll follow everyone's suggestions over the next few days. Tks again.
These pictures of the ECM connector pages from the service manual may help you. They are for an '08, but I believe that the '08 and '09 are the same.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
Okay, still simple with an auto. Put the car in neutral and try to start it. If it starts, then you know it's the park switch.

·
Super Moderator
5,955 Posts
Okay, still simple with an auto. Put the car in neutral and try to start it. If it starts, then you know it's the park switch.
It will be great if that solves it, but don't you think it is a pretty major coincidence that a bad battery kills the car at the same moment that a bad park switch keeps it from starting?

It also looks from the schematic that the park and neutral indication is one switch, although one mode of that switch could presumably fail independently.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Monday morning. Checked ALL fuses in the under hood fuse box and BCM, pulled the connector from the BCM and no burn marks, eveything looks good. Confirmed good electrical ground connection to the engine, alternator and chassis from the battery. Checked the connector under the battery tray, all connections look good. No lockout symbol on the display, eveything seems to function, lights, windows, horn, fuel pump, etc.

Hummmmm

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Monday morning. Checked ALL fuses in the under hood fuse box and BCM, pulled the connector from the BCM and no burn marks, eveything looks good. Confirmed good electrical ground connection to the engine, alternator and chassis from the battery. Checked the connector under the battery tray, all connections look good. No lockout symbol on the display, eveything seems to function, lights, windows, horn, fuel pump, etc.

Hummmmm

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I have not checked the start operation as JohnWR outline earlier, after it starts to cool down a little.

·
Registered
14 Posts
So I was driving and pulled to a stop light and the engine died, restarted and drove for a mile or so again to another stop and the engine died again, this time when it retired it was backfiring and running rough. Pulled over and it died again, when I tried to restart the starter would spin but not engage.

Replaced the battery and everything seems to work, lights gauges, etc but the starter will not spin. Read the codes and see a U0100 lost Comstock with ECM/PCM A.

Checked all the fuses under the hood (in the fuse box) and everything having enough to do with the starter and ECM is fine.

When I attempt to start it I get the following, Service ESC / Service Traction and the little ESC warning light is on.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

Regards
Did you physically replace the battery, or did you have someone else do it? The reason I ask; is there are numerous stories of audio parts store geniuses installing vehicle batteries in backwards. If the cables are connected with the wrong polarity, even for a nanosecond, it can destroy the ECU/BCU.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
JustKelly, I did it myself (and performed a little rust removal/paint on the tray while it was out. Used the fender method.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I've been looking for a wiring diagram for the start circuit and reading anything that sounds remotely like me situation and a number of them seem to have been caused by a bad ignition switch. That could explain why the engine shut off and why the starter won't spin. Don't know what to say about the battery, maybe it wasn't bad.

Thoughts

·
Registered
238 Posts
I've been looking for a wiring diagram for the start circuit and reading anything that sounds remotely like me situation and a number of them seem to have been caused by a bad ignition switch. That could explain why the engine shut off and why the starter won't spin. Don't know what to say about the battery, maybe it wasn't bad.

Thoughts
Did your car have the ignition switch recall done?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Yes, last Fall along with the passenger airbag fix.

·
Super Moderator
5,955 Posts
It is easy enough to check for 12V at the ECM, so that would validate the power contact.

When you turn the key to "Start" does the radio go off? If it does, the start contact is working.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Yes, radio does go off.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
So .... Pulled the wheels and verified all wheel sensors are clean, etc (only because the dash told me to service the and someone indicated the sensors connection could be a problem), I was hoping for a small win.

Pulled every connector from BCM, ECM and the bottom of the engine compartment fuse box. I have 12 volt at the big starter lug. Left the battery disconnected (both terminals) for over an hour. Picked up a scanner from Autozone and the only thing it comes up with is it lost Coms with the engine control module.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Picked up a scanner from Autozone and the only thing it comes up with is it lost Coms with the engine control module.
Are you saying you received a code? U0140 lost communication with BCM?

·
Super Moderator
5,955 Posts
So .... Pulled the wheels and verified all wheel sensors are clean, etc (only because the dash told me to service the and someone indicated the sensors connection could be a problem), I was hoping for a small win.

Pulled every connector from BCM, ECM and the bottom of the engine compartment fuse box. I have 12 volt at the big starter lug. Left the battery disconnected (both terminals) for over an hour. Picked up a scanner from Autozone and the only thing it comes up with is it lost Coms with the engine control module.
Unplug the ECM and locate the supply voltage pins from the diagrams that I posted. X1-19, X1-20, and X1-73 are +, X2-73 is ground. Power the car, (do not try to start it) and check for voltage on those pins.

21 - 40 of 148 Posts