Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
don't know if it's still true, but you could buy a brand new DeLorean assembled from parts left over from the bankruptcy
Bill
There is a company who bought the name ,rights and all unsold inventory and with the passage of the Low Volume Motor Vehicle Manufactures Act plans to start producing a limited run of these . From what I have read in a couple of my automobile magazines they have quite an inventory of parts (apparently enough to reproduce the car ) the only issue now being the drive train .The original cars had a Peugeot V6 which I believe is no longer produced .

·
Registered
888 Posts
There is a company who bought the name ,rights and all unsold inventory and with the passage of the Low Volume Motor Vehicle Manufactures Act plans to start producing a limited run of these . From what I have read in a couple of my automobile magazines they have quite an inventory of parts (apparently enough to reproduce the car ) the only issue now being the drive train .The original cars had a Peugeot V6 which I believe is no longer produced .
I don't remember the original engine being a Peugeot, but I do remember that there were 2 different suppliers of the engines during its short life time
Bill

·
Super Moderator
5,840 Posts
I am only aware of one engine actually used in the DMC-12, but could be mistaken. ..... Wikipedia only list one engine for the car.

That engine was a variant of one used by Renault, and Renault used a turbo-charged version of it. Maybe it was discussed for DeLorean but never used?

·
Registered
6,490 Posts
The generic V6 was used by all three consortium members that shared in the cost of development. It also found it's way into some Chrysler products. see

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V6_PRV_engine

Too bad they didn't use the turbo version in the Delorean. They might have sold better.

·
Registered
6,490 Posts
The generic V6 was used by all three consortium members that shared in the cost of development. It also found it's way into some Chrysler products. see

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V6_PRV_engine

Too bad they didn't use the turbo version in the Delorean. They might have sold better.

·
Registered
6,490 Posts
maybe I have confused the multi-engines with the Bricklin….
Bill
Bricklin used the AMC V8, but later switched to Ford after AMC failed to fulfill their volume commitment. A friend has one of these sitting in their garage. I gently declined to buy it when it was offered to me....:rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
15,942 Posts
I saw a segment on one of my car shows about the DeLorean shop. they have enough parts to build several hundred? cars and are offering to put one together for you if you buy a "new" one

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
The DeLorean resurrection appears to be still be a work in progress.

https://www.delorean.com/new-delorean-production-update.htm
in anticipation of this legislation, DeLorean Motor Company has been working for some time to identify a supplier for engines and other parts that must be reproduced to facilitate this production for 2017. A number of hurdles exist before production can begin, and we’re still early on in this process of determining the feasibility of moving forward. Further updates will be posted here.

·
Super Moderator
5,840 Posts
The latest from DeLorean: DMC Blog | DeLorean | The New DMC DeLorean

Basically, the law was passed, but NHTSA hasn't implemented it yet, so DeLorean (and any other hopeful replica car builders) can't do anything yet.

The odd thing to me is that they could be selling the cars as kits (aka rollers) with no engines, but are apparently waiting to be able to sell the cars complete.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts