Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday my engine light came on. I took it to a Saturn dealership because the Pontiac one was closed. The tech said that it was a code 300 and 302 misfire on 2 cylinder. He reset it and told me to take it to Pontiac service Monday because he didn't have the software to properly diagnosis the issue. He did tell me that this could be caused by something as simple as bad gas. Is this correct? I ran all of the gas out of it and filled the tank back up and added a bottle of Lucas injector cleaner. So far the light has not come back on.

·
Premium Member
828 Posts
Yesterday my engine light came on. I took it to a Saturn dealership because the Pontiac one was closed. The tech said that it was a code 300 and 302 misfire on 2 cylinder. He reset it and told me to take it to Pontiac service Monday because he didn't have the software to properly diagnosis the issue. He did tell me that this could be caused by something as simple as bad gas. Is this correct? I ran all of the gas out of it and filled the tank back up and added a bottle of Lucas injector cleaner. So far the light has not come back on.
Wow, you must have driven all night, no wonder you had the makeup/lip protector misshap. I was looking at my service manual and "poor quality/contaminated gas" is listed at one reason it could throw those codes

·
Premium Member
10,412 Posts
It could also be an indication of fouled plugs.
Also a bad injector as was reported by someone else here. However if you put new gas and is not acting up it could very well have been bad gas.
I would still have the Pontiac dealer take a look at it.

·
Registered
7,205 Posts
I remember getting that code once and I reset it with the dashhawk and did pretty much what you did ... now I only burn Shell V-Power and never seen it since ... :yesnod:

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
Ever since I got my GXP my light comes on every so often--stays about 2-3 days and disappears--the dealer checked into it and found nothing--their suggestion was I had not turned my gas cap enough times but that made no difference--just did it again a month ago---

·
Registered
7,205 Posts
Thanks ya'll. I dropped it off this morning. I have not heard from them yet but he did say that it was probably fouled plugs.
If it is ask if you have the new hotter plugs. If not there is a TSB that has the part numbers.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes he told me there are actually 2 misfire TSBs. The one to replace with the hotter plugs and one that is something about a misfire and high RPMs. They did replace with the hotter plugs but that only made the misfire move to cylinder 4. He said it was jumping all over the place. So they drained the fuel rail and that seemed to make all of the codes go away. He told me to drive it home and bring it back tomorrow and they would check it again just to make sure that this works. We'll see.

·
5,641 Posts
jrsno1fan said:
Yes he told me there are actually 2 misfire TSBs. The one to replace with the hotter plugs and one that is something about a misfire and high RPMs. They did replace with the hotter plugs but that only made the misfire move to cylinder 4. He said it was jumping all over the place. So they drained the fuel rail and that seemed to make all of the codes go away. He told me to drive it home and bring it back tomorrow and they would check it again just to make sure that this works.
GM changed the service information data base recently, and included is a more robust search fucntion.

"Misfire" will actually return 17 hits for documents on a 2007 Solstice GXP. None of which refer to replacing the spark plugs. The TSB that mentions the spark plug change is for no starts.

There is a TSB that mentions that if a dealership is using a non-Tech 2 service tool, the misfire cylinder may read incorrectly. For example a misfire in clyinder #2 would show as cylinder #2 on the Tech 2 but as cylinder #4 on other tools.

While not likely there is also the small chance that the ignition coil that was on cylinder #2 before the plug replacement, ended up on cylinder #4 upon reassembly.

Now if it was "jumping" around, meaning moving from cylinder to cylinder while they watched, then that would be different.

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
Jinxed myself--got in my car after work and sure enough the light was on again--still as of this morning on the way to work---

·
Premium Member
1,106 Posts
Good luck Girl
we are still trying to figure out why Beckys car keeps throwing the 2138.
she is really scared to drive the car.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got the final ticket from the dealer yesterday. They are saying that my issue was due to contaminated fuel. I'll be stopping in at Kroger today to see if they will at least refund the cost of the fuel that I purchased there since they had to drain it all.

Thanks for everyones input on this matter! You guys are the greatest!

·
Registered
7,205 Posts
Got the final ticket from the dealer yesterday. They are saying that my issue was due to contaminated fuel. I'll be stopping in at Kroger today to see if they will at least refund the cost of the fuel that I purchased there since they had to drain it all.

Thanks for everyones input on this matter! You guys are the greatest!
Shell V-Power 93 ... the only thing I put in any more! ... :yesnod:

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mike, if we had Shell here that would be all I used but we don't. Our choices are Kroger, BP, QT or Racetrac. There is a Chevron up the street but they are the most expensive. About 20 cents higher then everyone else. I usually go to this one QT all the time but of course the one time that I'm running late for work and stop at Kroger is when this happens.

·
Premium Member
10,412 Posts
BP New Ultra 93 is one to also recommend.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I found a Shell across town so I went there and filled up today. Hopefully this will clean out my system and not give me any more trouble.

BTW it was $3.59 a gallon. :willy:

·
Registered
7,205 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
QT is a Top Tier retailer. I use QT with good results so far. Water can spoil any good gas tho. Hope a fresh tank clears it up for you:) (Time to make some more donuts)

TOP TIER Gasoline Retailers

QuikTrip
Chevron
Conoco
Phillips
Shell
Entec Stations
MFA Oil Company
Kwik Trip/Kwik Star
The Somerset Refinery, Inc.
Chevron-Canada
Aloha Petroleum
Tri-Par Oil Company
Shell-Canada
Texaco
Petro-Canada
Sunoco-Canada

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well that wasn't it!!! :brentil: Ever since this happened last week I took Mike's advice and have only been using the Shell V-Power. I searched out every station between here and my job. But tonight when I got ready to leave work the light came back on again. Don't think this could be residules because I've already put another 1200 miles on it since I got it back. So it looks like I'll be heading back to the dealer again in the morning. URGHHHH!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts