Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I was under my car this morning investigating what I would call excessive drivetrain slop, like backlash. Started in the back thinking I would consider poly inserts for the differential if they were cracking. Worked my way forward and noticed just under the driver side engine mount is a bunch of black fluid all over. I did not know mounts were fluid filled, but after researching a bit I noticed there is such a thing and we may have fluid mounts? The fluid is all over, looks to have squirted out and leaking all over the chassis. Appears to have been doing this for some time as there are dark stains all over in that area. Does this make sense to anyone? I just don't want to look silly going to the dealer if this is not the case. It is certainly not motor oil, its more watery or thin and does not smell like motor oil and does appear to be coming from the mount. I'll snap some pictures later.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Looks like you found the source of your drive train slap.

Bad engine mount. I think they are filled with hydraulic fluid for damping purposes.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Yea, the mounts in my f-150 are the same way, circular and everything. I haven't had a problem in the solstice yet, but in the truck they suck big time.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I've had to replace my motor mounts on a couple of occasions. So far I've not had any luck finding an alternative solution to the factory mount (i.e. aftermarket urethane replacement or solid mount). Seems to me there could be a better design, though honestly I've not noticed many people having issues with them. Guess I'm just lucky that way. Always breaking things others don't or can't. Here is what mine have looked like when I've pulled them off the car:

The fluid leaking on the underside of your car look very much like mine did on each occasion. Changing them out is relatively simple once you have the car up in the air on a lift or jack stands.

·
Premium Member
1,780 Posts
Old thread, but replacing the the mount (either side) shouldn't take more than about half an hour, including the time to jack the car up.

There are two nuts that connect the mount to the mount bracket (top) and the subframe (bottom), I think they're both 17mm but could be wrong.

Basically:

1. Put the car on jack stands
2. Remove both motor mount nuts on the bottom of the engine. (Don't worry, the engine won't fall out. Yet.)
3. Remove the top nut for the motor mount that you want to replace.
4. Place a jack under the oil pan, with a good size block of wood separating the jack from the pan. You don't want to crunch or puncture your oil pan, and it's about to be supporting several hundred pounds of engine and accessories.
5. Lift the engine with the jack. I'd just lift it as far as you can before it hits the overhang in front of the windshield or the top of the transmission tunnel, whichever comes first.
6. Remove the old mount.
7. Put the new one in. It's keyed with a small dimple that lines up with a depression in the mount bracket, make sure it's aligned properly.
8. Put the top nut back on.
9. Lower the engine. You may need a friend and a lever (the handle from your floor jack works great) to get it lined up with the top of the new mount, and to get the bottom stud on the other mount to go into the hole where it used to be.
10. Install the two bottom nuts (one for each mount), torque it - they don't have to be tight, see the service manual for exact numbers).

Now, for the driver's side, it MAY be easier to do this if you're limber and have skinny hands.

In some circumstances, it may be easier to remove the engine mount bracket - driver's side is held to the block with three bolts - and lift out the whole assembly. Replace the mount, installation is the reverse of removal.

Hope this helps someone!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Thank you all for this level of detail! Love this place.
Having reverse transmission "slap" (only way I can describe it) and while it doesn't appear to be affecting the drivability of the car, I'm sure it isn't good.
I'll be looking under there tonight to check out if I also suffer from this issue.
Thanks again all!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts