Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,744 Posts
Deleted deleted deleted

This is ridiculous. If we can’t delete messages, we shouldn’t be able to edit them.

·
Premium Member
1,744 Posts
A Mazda tech once told me that my ‘93 Rx-7 had a leaking valve cover gasket.

Sigh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
119 Posts
Sounds like shop was mad they were no going to get free money from you a d soaked interior. Who knows what else they might have done, probably good idea to change all fluids.

·
Super Moderator
6,300 Posts
Another curious thing that happened when I went to have the car towed this morning was that it was dripping wet inside. Like somebody just took a hose and sprayed on the inside.
Do you mean wet in the engine bay, or in the cockpit?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Glad to hear that this turned out OK. Even though the journey wasn't great.
You and me both. Just took it back on the road for an extended drive. Felt like the first time all over again.

View attachment 106500

So, I guess this means that you're not going to sell me the car for $800?
Give me a couple hundred thousand miles? Haha. I feel like I owe you a variety pack of local brews for some reason though lol

·
Premium Member
1,744 Posts
You and me both. Just took it back on the road for an extended drive. Felt like the first time all over again.
So, all of that over a starter cable. Wow.

I lived in Arkansas (outside of Little Rock) when I was kid. Beautiful place, but I can totally believe what you're saying about the car repair industry.

While I hate recommending that anyone go to a dealer, that may be your best bet in the future. At least they have a reputation to uphold, and there's a complaint line. (Though I can't speak to how effective that would be.) I learned how to fix these things out of necessity. I was broke, and so was the car - often. I wouldn't trade the knowledge I've gained, but MAN was it a PITA. Four engines...

Glad to hear it's up and running. Another one saved from the scrap heap. :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Sounds like shop was mad they were no going to get free money from you a d soaked interior. Who knows what else they might have done, probably good idea to change all fluids.
Yeah. It's probably time to flush all of the fluids anyhow but I'm definitely accelerating that process. The more that I've talked to some of the employees, the more that it sounds like this was all on the owner. Either that or they had Oscar worthy performances.. and I went to film school, nobody is that good on the first take.

Apparently, the owner worked on it and diagnosed it. Even today when I brought him the notes from the other shop, he tried to dismiss it and kept asking if I physically had started the car in front of his employees (I had). I told him that I'd drive back to the other shop, switch cars and drive back, and he disappeared. A few of the employees kept looking at the car in disgust. They were happy for me but they couldn't hide their frustration with the owner. Just little off handed comments and such.

Do you mean wet in the engine bay, or in the cockpit?
Cockpit. I don't remember if I did or not, but the best way that I could describe it was like if you completely unhinged your roof, flipped it over and let rain get onto the interior, and then put it back onto the car. It was literally dripping wet. It did rain two days before this but like I said, the tow guy thought that I had driven into a river.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
So, all of that over a starter cable. Wow.

I lived in Arkansas (outside of Little Rock) when I was kid. Beautiful place, but I can totally believe what you're saying about the car repair industry.

While I hate recommending that anyone go to a dealer, that may be your best bet in the future. At least they have a reputation to uphold, and there's a complaint line. (Though I can't speak to how effective that would be.) I learned how to fix these things out of necessity. I was broke, and so was the car - often. I wouldn't trade the knowledge I've gained, but MAN was it a PITA. Four engines...

Glad to hear it's up and running. Another one saved from the scrap heap. :)
Oh man, small world. I grew up here too, escaped for a while and came back for a job (for some reason). Probably will move back to LA soon though now that I've upped my market value.

Yeah, sadly that's my best bet until I can finish the new garage project. And there aren't any DIY garages here. The last time that we worked on my friend's car in a parking garage, they asked that we no longer do that.

But I'm with you. I learned how to work on cars first out of necessity due to limited funds as well. Though a car is a car, my bread and butter tends to be European, specifically German and Italian cars. The Sol has presented interesting challenges maybe mostly due to a lack of time on my part. I've babied it a bit less than than my other cars.

·
Premium Member
1,744 Posts
In my time, I've had:
86 Camaro with a carb'd 305. 186k miles when I got it (Could have been 286k, as the odometer didn't go past 100k before rolling over). That thing was four different colors, none of which, I believe, were the original. No one told me about things like transmission fluid or power steering fluid. It got towed at some point and I just let it go. I paid $1200 for that car and believe I got my moneys worth.
86 RX-7. Worked great until an unmanned and uninsured S10 rolled out of a parking lot and hit the passenger door. Totalled the car. So, with some assistance, I pulled the engine and put it in...
88 RX-7. The plan was to put the other engine and 5 speed into this car, but it turns out that the chassis were different for the auto and manual. (Transmission mount points are different.) If I were in that position today, I'd have Made It Work. But, instead, we used the crappy automatic. 0-60 in about two weeks.
88 RX-7 Turbo II. Lasted about a week before I, in my infinite wisdom, bounced it off the back of a truck. :( Lesson learned, nothing damaged other than the car (totaled) and my pride.
87 RX-7. Worked great, no complaints. But, eventually it was time to get a grown-up car.
91 300ZXTT. Dyno'd at 340 tq, stock other than a Borla catback. Did significantly better after upping the boost to 15psi. Skyline brakes were incredible. Turns out that a lot of boost shortens the life of the engine, so...
93 RX-7. Oh, baby. But, around 2000, I was really excited about the C5, and I'd had enough of rotaries, so...
'00 Corvette. My first brand new car. Pro Tip: Being 24 with a brand new 'Vette does not make you any friends. Just under four years and about 50k miles later, after replacing rings, clutch, shocks, and finding that the frame wasn't completely welded together...
'02 Lotus Esprit. I hated that car. It didn't last long.
'99 Miata. Internet bubble had popped and I didn't have a degree. Sold the 'Vette, bought the Miata for $6k cash in New Jersey and drove it back to Dallas. Around Crossville, TN, the alternator died. The guys at the John Deere / NAPA parts shop brought their tools and helped me change the alternator on their backs, in the snow, in the parking lot. I always meant to send them some beer and a thank you card. :( I kept that car for about 80k more miles, parked it for about a year after I bought the next car. A friend borrowed it and slammed it into a pillar in a parking garage. His insurance company gave me about $8k for it. I call it a win. In the mean time, I went and got an EE degree and moved on with my life.
'00 Boxster. This thing was very slow, but I'd just gotten divorced, so I needed to have a way-early midlife (quarter-life?) crisis. Wish I'd bought another Corvette. But, it was pretty reliable and lasted a few years before trading it in on..
'05 Boxster S. I have zero complaints about that car. I got it with 1800 miles for a pretty steep discount because it had been hit in the front, but repaired at Park Place Porsche in Dallas. It was perfect. Had it for a few years, many an HPDE. Oil changes were about $120, but only had to be done every 15k miles. It eventually encountered some landscaping at about 60MPH and was completely destroyed.
'04 Mini Cooper S. Had it just long enough to get...
'06 350Z. Three years, and all I had to do was tires, brakes, oil and a water pump + thermostat. Got married again, got pregnant...
'06 G35 6MT - kid hauler #1. Bought it 2012, just got rid of it this year. It threw a rod two years ago and sat for over a year before I got around to replacing the engine. Great car - lots of torque.
'09 Mazda 3 - kid hauler #2. Surprisingly peppy. Only regret was buying an extended warranty since the damn thing never broke. Eventually destroyed in a hail storm, along with the 4Runner and most of my '06 Solstice.
'06 Solstice. Too freaking slow. Put a turbo on it about a month after I bought it. Fun car. Blew engines. I had an issue with bad hoses. Totally my fault. Recently sold to be parted out.
'07 4Runner Limited V8 4WD Destroyed by hail. I LOVED that thing.
'07 Escalade. It's a truck. No issues. 405HP is nice. If the wife ever wrecks it, I'm keeping the engine.
'07 GXP. Current. It's a Solstice, with all of the good and bad that comes with that.
'05 4Runner V8. It was cheap. Makes a great tow vehicle, and I still love it. 160k miles and it runs like a top. Could use a new driver's seat cover, but pretty much perfect other than that and some rock chips.

Not included: an '05 Miata (ex wife), an '01 Mini (ex wife), an '84 RX-7 (bought from a friend, then resold to the same friend a month later - call it a loan with collateral), a '00 Ferrari 360 F1 - same friend, same arrangement (may or may not have put about 3k miles on it in two months)... If your very good friend needs $100, hand it over and don't plan on getting it back. (But, it's nice if you do.) If the same friend needs $70k, take his Ferrari and maybe give it back when he pays you back.

I think that's about it. Currently have the Escalade, the GXP and the 4Runner. Pretty happy with that collection. When the GXP dies, I'm thinking of getting another C5 or a C6. Fun track cars, the LS is one of the easier engines to work on and I miss the HUD.

If there's anything I've learned, it's that, with a rare exception, my $6500 GXP is about as much fun as any of the $60k+ cars that I've had. And, oil changes are imporrtant. :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Arkansas. No not yet. I came here as soon as I visited to shop to look over everything. So I'm still in the research phase but if you're interested in more details feel free to message me. And I can get a price to you or if you have an offer (based on condition) in mind let me know.

I will say that when I bought it three years ago now, it only had around 8,000 miles on it. I want to say 7,954. I was the second owner so it's lived an easy going life.
A car with such low mileage isn't a healthy vehicle, regardless of better storage possibilities hopefully implemented. If you are 'done' with it then I would get rid of it. It IS just a car. I doubt they will become much of a collectors car. But I still LOVE driving mine, and would eventually replace it with another Solstice if the situation dictated.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Just as a lesson...you can't always trust dealers either (and I've worked in dealers for over 15 years). While they're more trusted in most cases (and honest about 99.9% of the time), sometimes management is horrific. As I stated, I've been in about 200+ dealers nation wide. One of my worst memories of one was in Texas. They had a SM that didn't care, and a Director that was 1/2 in the bag when we arrived. The second day there, a younger tech is working on a flood victim G6 GT. It's got 120k on it, but it's in awesome shape for the mileage. He gets the motor running...no knocking, but it's sputtering a little bit. He left it run for about 3 minutes and it cleaned out...running great. The moron takes it out and starts doing clutch side-steps on it... As I sit there, I watch him take it up the street and comes rip roaring back down and downshifts it from 3rd to 2nd...booooom (WAAYYY over redline when he let the clutch back out!!). The motor goes and stalls. They push it back in... He walks up to the SM and tells him the motor was weak from the flood damage and he was merely "stress testing it". I was so ticked (I'm an outside vendor so I have to be careful about what I say to him), I LIT the SM up over it and told him I just watched his stupid tech destroy this car on purpose. He looks at me and shrugs. Then I decide that I'm going to the SD (Service Director). Basically he told me it was none of my business and that I needed to but out. My day came though when the tech got fired the next day for working on his own POS tuner car...it was great. That was the trip from hell!! Ladies of the night in our hotel lobby...drug deals in the parking lot...it was a bit scary.

I've already warned one of our members here NOT to go there as it used to be a Pontiac dealership and he was thinking about taking his car there...But he still went there. Luckily he had a good experience.

·
Premium Member
1,744 Posts
Wow.

Gotta love Houston. :|

·
Registered
431 Posts
i hada feeling it was somethen simple..... so sad some shops like doing this king of crap. and get away with it most of the time.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
A car with such low mileage isn't a healthy vehicle, regardless of better storage possibilities hopefully implemented. If you are 'done' with it then I would get rid of it. It IS just a car. I doubt they will become much of a collectors car. But I still LOVE driving mine, and would eventually replace it with another Solstice if the situation dictated.
Oh yeah. I've given it a happier life. I like to buy cars to drive them.

In my time, I've had:
86 Camaro with a carb'd 305. 186k miles when I got it (Could have been 286k, as the odometer didn't go past 100k before rolling over). That thing was four different colors, none of which, I believe, were the original. No one told me about things like transmission fluid or power steering fluid. It got towed at some point and I just let it go. I paid $1200 for that car and believe I got my moneys worth.
86 RX-7. Worked great until an unmanned and uninsured S10 rolled out of a parking lot and hit the passenger door. Totalled the car. So, with some assistance, I pulled the engine and put it in...
88 RX-7. The plan was to put the other engine and 5 speed into this car, but it turns out that the chassis were different for the auto and manual. (Transmission mount points are different.) If I were in that position today, I'd have Made It Work. But, instead, we used the crappy automatic. 0-60 in about two weeks.
88 RX-7 Turbo II. Lasted about a week before I, in my infinite wisdom, bounced it off the back of a truck. :( Lesson learned, nothing damaged other than the car (totaled) and my pride.
87 RX-7. Worked great, no complaints. But, eventually it was time to get a grown-up car.
91 300ZXTT. Dyno'd at 340 tq, stock other than a Borla catback. Did significantly better after upping the boost to 15psi. Skyline brakes were incredible. Turns out that a lot of boost shortens the life of the engine, so...
93 RX-7. Oh, baby. But, around 2000, I was really excited about the C5, and I'd had enough of rotaries, so...
'00 Corvette. My first brand new car. Pro Tip: Being 24 with a brand new 'Vette does not make you any friends. Just under four years and about 50k miles later, after replacing rings, clutch, shocks, and finding that the frame wasn't completely welded together...
'02 Lotus Esprit. I hated that car. It didn't last long.
'99 Miata. Internet bubble had popped and I didn't have a degree. Sold the 'Vette, bought the Miata for $6k cash in New Jersey and drove it back to Dallas. Around Crossville, TN, the alternator died. The guys at the John Deere / NAPA parts shop brought their tools and helped me change the alternator on their backs, in the snow, in the parking lot. I always meant to send them some beer and a thank you card. :( I kept that car for about 80k more miles, parked it for about a year after I bought the next car. A friend borrowed it and slammed it into a pillar in a parking garage. His insurance company gave me about $8k for it. I call it a win. In the mean time, I went and got an EE degree and moved on with my life.
'00 Boxster. This thing was very slow, but I'd just gotten divorced, so I needed to have a way-early midlife (quarter-life?) crisis. Wish I'd bought another Corvette. But, it was pretty reliable and lasted a few years before trading it in on..
'05 Boxster S. I have zero complaints about that car. I got it with 1800 miles for a pretty steep discount because it had been hit in the front, but repaired at Park Place Porsche in Dallas. It was perfect. Had it for a few years, many an HPDE. Oil changes were about $120, but only had to be done every 15k miles. It eventually encountered some landscaping at about 60MPH and was completely destroyed.
'04 Mini Cooper S. Had it just long enough to get...
'06 350Z. Three years, and all I had to do was tires, brakes, oil and a water pump + thermostat. Got married again, got pregnant...
'06 G35 6MT - kid hauler #1. Bought it 2012, just got rid of it this year. It threw a rod two years ago and sat for over a year before I got around to replacing the engine. Great car - lots of torque.
'09 Mazda 3 - kid hauler #2. Surprisingly peppy. Only regret was buying an extended warranty since the damn thing never broke. Eventually destroyed in a hail storm, along with the 4Runner and most of my '06 Solstice.
'06 Solstice. Too freaking slow. Put a turbo on it about a month after I bought it. Fun car. Blew engines. I had an issue with bad hoses. Totally my fault. Recently sold to be parted out.
'07 4Runner Limited V8 4WD Destroyed by hail. I LOVED that thing.
'07 Escalade. It's a truck. No issues. 405HP is nice. If the wife ever wrecks it, I'm keeping the engine.
'07 GXP. Current. It's a Solstice, with all of the good and bad that comes with that.
'05 4Runner V8. It was cheap. Makes a great tow vehicle, and I still love it. 160k miles and it runs like a top. Could use a new driver's seat cover, but pretty much perfect other than that and some rock chips.

Not included: an '05 Miata (ex wife), an '01 Mini (ex wife), an '84 RX-7 (bought from a friend, then resold to the same friend a month later - call it a loan with collateral), a '00 Ferrari 360 F1 - same friend, same arrangement (may or may not have put about 3k miles on it in two months)... If your very good friend needs $100, hand it over and don't plan on getting it back. (But, it's nice if you do.) If the same friend needs $70k, take his Ferrari and maybe give it back when he pays you back.

I think that's about it. Currently have the Escalade, the GXP and the 4Runner. Pretty happy with that collection. When the GXP dies, I'm thinking of getting another C5 or a C6. Fun track cars, the LS is one of the easier engines to work on and I miss the HUD.

If there's anything I've learned, it's that, with a rare exception, my $6500 GXP is about as much fun as any of the $60k+ cars that I've had. And, oil changes are imporrtant. :)
You have me bat by a mile.

So far...

90 Ford Festiva - Just a hand me down with 120k miles on it. I treated it bad. Would do dumb stuff like not check antifreeze etc. Got into a wreck when some guy that was running late for work ran a redlight.
90 Volvo 240 / 75 Fiat 500 - I went to school in Europe and was basically given these for next to nothing. I think literally 500 euro for both. The 240 was in fine working condition. Prices for used cars in Europe were (and still are) much cheaper than in the US. However, the 500 was a project car that me and my favorite professor (a huge car enthusiast) restored. Used the 500 for a city car and the 240 was eventually turned into a rally/touring type car. Sold both to the school as crew vehicles for future students.
90 Benz 560sel - Kind of a tradition in my family that once you reach a certain level, you'd be given a classic Mercedes. First car that I loved. Need to get it back on the road after changing the fuel pump and rebuilding the brakes... One day the brakes completely went out on me. Had a good 10 miles of fortune before I could find a parking lot with a stopper that I could run it into.
06 Maserati Coupe - Loved everything about this F1 inspired car except of course the mandatory $3,500 repair cost every three years
06 Solstice - Classic toxic relationship. I love it even if it has less low end torque than I'd like. But love the handling, the looks I get, nods of approval etc. Love also that every date that I've gone on since I've gotten it has loved the thing. And the looks that I had in my single days when two girls would get out of the passenger side...
Once got pulled over because I had two girls sitting on the passenger side and one in my lap kind of. Cop makes me get out of the vehicle and after we get to talking he just goes "You're having too much damn fun in that thing. Get em to where they need to be and never do this again". :)
06 Montero Sport - Really my girlfriend's. In really good condition and something that I can drive into the ground.

I'm looking at getting another classic Volvo wagon, Volvo C303 and Audi A7 diesel soonish.. the last one mostly because I've never experienced good gas mileage before. And because I'm futureproofing for kids. The gf said that when the time comes, she won't allow them anywhere near the C03 lol.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Just as a lesson...you can't always trust dealers either (and I've worked in dealers for over 15 years). While they're more trusted in most cases (and honest about 99.9% of the time), sometimes management is horrific. As I stated, I've been in about 200+ dealers nation wide. One of my worst memories of one was in Texas. They had a SM that didn't care, and a Director that was 1/2 in the bag when we arrived. The second day there, a younger tech is working on a flood victim G6 GT. It's got 120k on it, but it's in awesome shape for the mileage. He gets the motor running...no knocking, but it's sputtering a little bit. He left it run for about 3 minutes and it cleaned out...running great. The moron takes it out and starts doing clutch side-steps on it... As I sit there, I watch him take it up the street and comes rip roaring back down and downshifts it from 3rd to 2nd...booooom (WAAYYY over redline when he let the clutch back out!!). The motor goes and stalls. They push it back in... He walks up to the SM and tells him the motor was weak from the flood damage and he was merely "stress testing it". I was so ticked (I'm an outside vendor so I have to be careful about what I say to him), I LIT the SM up over it and told him I just watched his stupid tech destroy this car on purpose. He looks at me and shrugs. Then I decide that I'm going to the SD (Service Director). Basically he told me it was none of my business and that I needed to but out. My day came though when the tech got fired the next day for working on his own POS tuner car...it was great. That was the trip from hell!! Ladies of the night in our hotel lobby...drug deals in the parking lot...it was a bit scary.

I've already warned one of our members here NOT to go there as it used to be a Pontiac dealership and he was thinking about taking his car there...But he still went there. Luckily he had a good experience.
i hada feeling it was somethen simple..... so sad some shops like doing this king of crap. and get away with it most of the time.
Yeah. Anytime that a shop tries to pressure you, you can bet that it's crap. Like I said, I thought it'd be a wiring issue or something related to the solenoid. This was the push that I needed to rent a space for car storage/working on my cars so there's that.

And yeah, I've heard other horror stories similar to this one about dealers. Plus most of the dealers here tend to just be rude and kind of meh to begin with. But that's a f'd up story.

Question, how hard is it to really repair a flooded engine/engine bay? I ask because I've been around five that were seemingly repaired in a pretty straightforward and logical way. Some from the Houston flood and others from the NE. I know that it can have residual issues but you'd know better than me.

·
Super Moderator
6,300 Posts
Question, how hard is it to really repair a flooded engine/engine bay? I ask because I've been around five that were seemingly repaired in a pretty straightforward and logical way. Some from the Houston flood and others from the NE. I know that it can have residual issues but you'd know better than me.
The worst problems with a flood car will generally be electrical. Every connector in the car is suspect, and every one is likely to cause some kind of problem due to corrosion. When you consider that the BCM is one of the lowest points in the car in the passenger footwell you should expect internal problems with it as well.

·
Premium Member
1,744 Posts
@JohnWR's answer is correct. Other things to consider: salt water is terribly corrosive.

61 - 78 of 78 Posts