Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
So that gets us the option of a 5 speed???? Duh. Or are you implying that we can hook up a Jeep inline 4.0 that will stick out the front of the car.???

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
achieftain said:
So that gets us the option of a 5 speed???? Duh. Or are you implying that we can hook up a Jeep inline 4.0 that will stick out the front of the car.???
No... But if you've got a Caddy Northstar or maybe a Buick 3800 SC laying around, you could try that..... A Hemi if you've got the stones... :)

Greg

·
Registered
527 Posts
Greg55_99 said:
No... But if you've got a Caddy Northstar or maybe a Buick 3800 SC laying around, you could try that..... A Hemi if you've got the stones... :)

Greg
Hey you! Quiet!

:lol: ;) :cool:

EDIT: Greg, you'll have to excuse this board. There is a HUGE amount of people here who can't fathom modifying their cars - and a lot of them get flat out hostile if you suggest that a car can be changed or (god forbid) improved. Please stick around, the information in your head is priceless...

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
That is funny. Last I checked we had a rather large number of members looking forward to seeing the Mallett LS2 engine swap. They don't seem negative or hostile at all about the concept of changing the engine.

Yes, I will agree that some people are not as interested in it, and some people question whether such an upgrade is much of an upgrade at all (compared to just getting a 'Vette). However, I think lumping most people in the forum as negative and hostile is an exageration at best.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for the "atta boy" Sky Captain. I appreciate it!

On the subject of the Mallet conversion. I see they're listing it starting at $18,000. You supply the car. An extra cost option is adding a Tremec 6-speed to the package so I'll guess that the base package is the small block hooked up to the stock AR5. Y'know, for around $400 on Ebay, you could've started your own Small Block conversion...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/jeep...ewItemQQcategoryZ33733QQitemZ8000238778QQrdZ1

Just throwing that out there....

Greg

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Greg, are you familiar with V8 Archie, of Fiero fame? www.v8archie.com He has indicated he will start working on a kit to put a V8 in a Solstice, similar to his Fiero kits, for the do-it-yourselfer too. It would certainly be another cheaper option then Mallett's turnkey conversions.

I am not sure the 6 speed tremec will end up being available for the Sol either. Last time I talked to someone who had spoken to mallett, the word was that the tremec wouldn't really work in the space afforded by the tremec chassis. He is confident that the Aisin 5 speed will handle the LS2 power without problem. I do not think it is rated for that much power, but it does have a decent power rating anyway. More than the base Sol ecotec will be putting out.

Did you have a particular engine in mind? From your link it looks like a Dodge hemi would fit the Aisin belhousing. Am I reading the thread right?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Fformula88 said:
Did you have a particular engine in mind? From your link it looks like a Dodge hemi would fit the Aisin belhousing. Am I reading the thread right?
No particular engine in mind. I realize that Mallett is putting out an excellent product, but I'm a junkyard dawg by nature. I prefer to "roll my own" when it comes to projects. And yes, the Mopar 5.7L Hemi will bolt to the AR5 with a $50 Dakota bellhousing. That among many other things.

Greg

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
There are plenty of people who would rather build their own. In fact, the challenge of building it up is really the fun for many people.

Hmm... I am not sure putting a Mopar in a Pontiac is really right, but a 6.1L Hemi in a Solstice would sure be fun! :devil:

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
I just don't think I could bring myself to do that for at least 10 years.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Fformula88 said:
Hmm... I am not sure putting a Mopar in a Pontiac is really right, but a 6.1L Hemi in a Solstice would sure be fun! :devil:
ooooh, that would be lotsa fun! daddy want! :jester:

·
Registered
527 Posts
Fformula88 said:
That is funny. Last I checked we had a rather large number of members looking forward to seeing the Mallett LS2 engine swap. They don't seem negative or hostile at all about the concept of changing the engine.
What's funny is when I suggested that a 3800v6 & 5.7v8 could be put into a Kappa, I WAS attacked and ridiculed for following that line of thought - at EVERY mention of it until Mallet announced his own plans. Suddenly it was the best idea since the wheel. :rolleyes: I didn't say that every member followed the "keep it stock" line of thought, just that there was a rather large contigent of them compared to other forums. And that statement is true, evidenced by the comments in this thread before mine.

Yes, I will agree that some people are not as interested in it, and some people question whether such an upgrade is much of an upgrade at all (compared to just getting a 'Vette). However, I think lumping most people in the forum as negative and hostile is an exageration at best.
I didn't say MOST people, I said this forum had a larger amount than other forums. A true statement that I stand by, even though it is getting better than it was when I first joined. But just look at the comments above to see what I mean. Sarcastic comments to a guy who OBVIOUSLY knows amazing facts about how to tinker on cars.

Greg, are you familiar with V8 Archie, of Fiero fame? www.v8archie.com He has indicated he will start working on a kit to put a V8 in a Solstice, similar to his Fiero kits, for the do-it-yourselfer too. It would certainly be another cheaper option then Mallett's turnkey conversions.
I do believe Archie said he was focusing on the LS motor just like Mallet, not the standard V8. Gregs information is indispensable for a DIY v8 swap, not to mention my own path of a fwd 3800 swap, and for 1/10 the price of the Mallet swap, it sounds like the way to go if you can turn a wrench...

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
As a group SkyCaptain I think we've matured more, and people are defintely more open to modification ideas now. I also think a lot of frustration from then too was everyone waiting for cars to even start being made.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I know. It's all good. :cheers:

I just had to make sure we didn't run Greg off. I assure everyone here, that the knowledge he retains (and is turning up more every day) is vastly under-appreciated for it's value in engine swaps. I have spent YEARS looking for information that he has suddenly presented in a few days. As far as engine swap info, there has never been a more significant "discovery" than the threads greg has posted in various forums on the interweb, IMHO.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts