Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just reading in the new issue of Automotive Engineering International about the new Volvo V8 that was designed in partnership with Yamaha. It's the world's smallest V8 in production at 25" wide and 27" long. It's a 60 deg orientation instead of the normal 90 deg. It will produce upwards of 310 HP and somewhere around 325 ft*lbs torque. It was developed specifically for Volvo's SUV the XC90. One problem though is that it's designed for a transverse application, but if people can fit a Northstar transversely into a Fiero I'm sure that someone can fit this engine longitudinally in the Solstice.
Anyway, thought it was interesting and might be grounds for someone to have some fun!!

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
simmonsmb said:
I was just reading in the new issue of Automotive Engineering International about the new Volvo V8 that was designed in partnership with Yamaha. It's the world's smallest V8 in production at 25" wide and 27" long. It's a 60 deg orientation instead of the normal 90 deg. It will produce upwards of 310 HP and somewhere around 325 ft*lbs torque. It was developed specifically for Volvo's SUV the XC90. One problem though is that it's designed for a transverse application, but if people can fit a Northstar transversely into a Fiero I'm sure that someone can fit this engine longitudinally in the Solstice.
Anyway, thought it was interesting and might be grounds for someone to have some fun!!
Yeah, that is a little powerhouse of an engine. However, its not quite as new as one would think (although its been thoroughly upgraded). It is essentially the Yamaha supplied Taurus SHO V8 motor Ford was using a decade ago. They have made some changes, increased power, decreased emissions, etc.

It would be an interesting swap. Even an older SHO motor would be interesting, and they may be a little easier on the electrical end as long as you found a pre OBD2 motor. Probably a little cheaper too if you can find a discarded SHO.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
How about an outboard V8, those things are relatively light. Only problem is you can't drive it except when it rains :lol

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Yeah, that is an interesting concept. I am not sure that car as it is will ever reach market, but I am sure more automakers will want to keep their powerplant options open in future platforms to conform with changing technologies.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Fformula88 said:
Yeah, that is an interesting concept. I am not sure that car as it is will ever reach market, but I am sure more automakers will want to keep their powerplant options open in future platforms to conform with changing technologies.
They talked about that car on the NBC NAIAS coverage the other day. They said there were no plans for it to be produced. Some technologies might get harvested from the concept, but that was it.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
The volvo Plug-n-play-powertrain idea is not new. EVERY major manufacturer has tried this. It's a variation on a theme of the "flexible architecture."

The early Cavalier/Cimmaron/Sunbird/Skyhawk/Firenza was such a GM example - hardly a shining light, but many many engine/trans combos.

It's another fantasy. Powertrains (even just 4 cylinders) vary enough to have to force a very large engine package zone. This drives a larger vehicle size... which leads to a heavier vehicle... which means you have to upsize your tires... and added mass leads to more engine combos with higher power and torque... which drives bigger brakes...

It's kinda like overcapacatizing your manufacturing plant.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Does anyone know what engines will bolt up to the Solstice Tranny? And how much power can that tranny handle?

Will the 2.0, 2.2 and 2.4 Ecotec's all have the same bolt pattern at the tranny mounting surface.

Down the road when the warranty runs out, can we build up a different Ecotec and slap in our Solstice?

Are there any upgraded trannies that will fit in the Solstice?

Are there upgraded rearends that will fit in the Solstice? Gear ratios?

We need aftermarket stuff, please!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
piippor said:
Does anyone know what engines will bolt up to the Solstice Tranny? And how much power can that tranny handle?

Will the 2.0, 2.2 and 2.4 Ecotec's all have the same bolt pattern at the tranny mounting surface.

Down the road when the warranty runs out, can we build up a different Ecotec and slap in our Solstice?

Are there any upgraded trannies that will fit in the Solstice?

Are there upgraded rearends that will fit in the Solstice? Gear ratios?

We need aftermarket stuff, please!!!!!!
Unfortunately we wont know any of these answers officially till the Solstice is out. They might have done something that makes the entire engine line not mate up properly between the FR and FF cars. However I'm guessing that's not the case. Thing is though, there aren't any transmissions on any other ECOTEC based car I'd rather have in the Solstice then the base one. Until there's a really nice 6-speed I'll end up being happy with the Aisin 5-speed.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I’ll be just as happy with a 5 speed anyway. I don’t like the idea of throwing a 6 speed manual in a car unless it has a very peaky powerband. If it has a good powerband, the extra cog either makes you shift more, or it ends up being just an extra overdrive gear as it is in the Corvette.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Fformula88 said:
I’ll be just as happy with a 5 speed anyway. I don’t like the idea of throwing a 6 speed manual in a car unless it has a very peaky powerband. If it has a good powerband, the extra cog either makes you shift more, or it ends up being just an extra overdrive gear as it is in the Corvette.
:agree I was really excited to get the six speed in the Miata. After the novelty wears off, however, it's no big deal.

·
Registered
172 Posts
brentil said:
They might have done something that makes the entire engine line not mate up properly between the FR and FF cars. However I'm guessing that's not the case.
I called to see if the race 2.0 block would bolt up to a standard rear wheel drive transmission, and was told by one of the GM Performance Parts Reps (the guys GM dealers call when they have questions about parts in the Performance catalog) that it would not bolt up. He didn't have any info yet on the rear wheel drive Ecotecs so maybe the Aisin has the fwd bolt pattern, but I doubt it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts